Crazy noise when cold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
91 SR5 V6,5 speed Truck makes a crazy noise when it is driven when cold. It sounds like it is right in front of driver. Starts @ 1500rpm stops @2600. Any ideas? Fan seems good , it sounds like it is right at the vacum booster,which is new.
Thanks

could be the speedo cable sounds like " chirp,chirp,chirp,chirp" mine does it only in cold weather.

Definitely sounds like the speedo cable. Mine started doing that a while back and eventually it snapped and stopped working. Now it intermittently works depending on the climate conditions. Very annoying but I still haven't gotten around to replacing or lubricating it.

-Brian

i'll go with the speedo cable theory, that is IF the truck has a cable.

kill your truck while coastin in neutral and see if the noise is still there.

but since i recall those v-6 trucks in the later years had a digital sender, this will do you no good.
look under there and see if there is a cable or wire.

ON my 90, I was able to disconnect the cable from the cluster and lube it with some speedometer cable lube. Usually had to do it every year when the weather started getting cold. Never did break, tho..

Definitely sounds like the speedo cable. Mine started doing that a while back and eventually it snapped and stopped working. Now it intermittently works depending on the climate conditions. Very annoying but I still haven't gotten around to replacing or lubricating it.

-Brian

How did your cable snap and then start working?

"ON my 90, I was able to disconnect the cable from the cluster and lube it with some speedometer cable lube. Usually had to do it every year when the weather started getting cold. Never did break, tho.. "

Where did you get the cable lube? I did this but w/ pb blaster, it was a PITA to get it back in the cluster! so if I do it again I need that stuff.

-Brian
take a few minutes to check the speedo gear drive setup on the transfer case...mine went dead and it turned out not to be the cable, but the driven gear that had worn out. Nylon gear on metal....

How did your cable snap and then start working?

I guess snapped isn't the appropriate word. I really don't know what happened but it only works about half of the time I'm driving. I'll let you guys know what's wrong with it when I get around to replacing it this winter. I figure I should get the cold weather issues out of the way before this becomes my Alaska daily driver in February. Worn out gear is probably part of the issue.

-Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom