crankshaft position sensor location? 1996 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If the 1FZ-FE decal on the front of the valve cover is original, that is a 1993 engine.

1993 was the only year that decal was used. Of course there are lots of engines that have had it added to over the years.

I would think an OBDII truck would be crying if the crank sensor signal was missing. That is unless the CEL bulb was removed:idea:
ok , so I that's it I have a 1993 engine on a 1996 chassis. So basically the same engine only 1993 is obd1 and 1996 is obd2 ? Hopefully I should be able to pass smog (in California)?

Let's see the air cleaner lid, airflow sensor setup.

ok , so I that's it I have a 1993 engine on a 1996 chassis. So basically the same engine only 1993 is obd1 and 1996 is obd2 ? Hopefully I should be able to pass smog (in California)?
You don't get it, different computer system, different transmission, different exhaust... Can't just stick one in there and it work.

I will take a picture tonight when I come home. Thanks Dan
8154545926601324204.jpg

OK, that is an OBDII set-up.

The heater return hose visible in your engine photos is a 93-94 type. All this suggests a used 93 engine is in there. I'm surprised it runs properly without all the required inputs. IE the missing crank position sensor.

Does the check engine light come on when the ignition is turned to run (engine off)?

wow, that is for sure an OBD2 MAF and a 93 engine. makes me want to try it lol. does the check engine light come on when you stick the key in and turn it but not crank? i would love to see what a code reader shows and what the MPG is.

So, you bought this truck in CA and have not smogged it or licensed it? Isn't the PO liable for making it pass smog?

Good Luck! Someone may have pulled a "fast one" on you. I'd be willing to bet it won;t even come close to passing smog because the OBD2 computer will not be seeing the things it needs to see, therefore throwing codes, and I'll bet a donut that the bulb on the CEL is "burned out"......

You will be able to get it there with an OBD1 engine, but you're going to need to do some work to satisfy the OBD2 computer.

I think a picture and part number of the ECM is going to speak volumes as to what has been done. Everything except the MAF says ODB1. Does it have a working ODB2 port?

Did you get yourself an FSM yet? (search for "land cruiser fsm for a hell of a price") Also, did you snap any engine pictures before you started taking things apart? That might help some diagnosis. Many who have already replied know way more than me. The belts suggestion is a good one, my truck came to me with one toothed belt.

I think a picture and part number of the ECM is going to speak volumes as to what has been done. Everything except the MAF says ODB1. Does it have a working ODB2 port?
the fact it has the OBD2 style MAF tells me its got the correct ECU. wouldnt have a plug for the VFM and if you unplug the VFM you will have no power and couldnt drive it.

the fact it has the OBD2 style MAF tells me its got the correct ECU. wouldnt have a plug for the VFM and if you unplug the VFM you will have no power and couldnt drive it.
But what is being used as a crank trigger in place of the crank sensor used on a 96? The 93 engine still needs something to verify for ignition unless it's using the ignition module inside the distributor as the trigger.

the 93 has a spacer in the place of it. it has no crank trigger

the 93 has a spacer in the place of it. it has no crank trigger

Not a spacer actually, it uses a wider oil pump drive gear.

Pics from another member swapping BACK to the 96.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I will put everything back together and before doing anymore repairs or upgrades I will have it smogged. Based on PO it was his DD for 5 years. When I drove it home there seemed to be no problems. I will keep you posted.

I feel you. If I had never touched a bolt on mine, it would probably be just fine albeit running on horrible shocks and only putting sound through the 4 smallest speakers. I guess the grease and frustration and smell of shiny new parts is all part of the sickness though. They are really fun when you can finally get out and off road though.

I have an obd 1 motor in my 97, swapped over the crank sensor and intake manifold.

Maybe the ecu is swappable? And that is how you are running ok? Did you see the check engine light flash on start up?

Last edited:
The ECU is not swappable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom