crankshaft position sensor location? 1996 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_20191215_111531981.jpg
IMG_20191215_111512458.jpg
Need help please. Just got a 1996 FZJ80 a couple months ago and started working on it. When I was replacing the fuel filter I saw a wire connector dangling not connected to anything. I looked it up and I think its a crankshaft position sensor connector. So I looked up where the CPS is located, and I found it is located in the front of the engine right underneath the crank pulley. At least that's what I found online. But I don't have anything there, what's going on?View attachment 2157947View attachment 2157946View attachment 2157947

looks like you have an obd 1 motor.

You can swap the pan for the right one, along with the pick up on the end of the crank snout.
If I leave it alone will there be a problem? Will I have check engine codes or not pass smog? Or worse something breaking?
Thanks for the reply.

If you have a 96, it won't run without a crank sensor.

Does it run and drive now?

1576523301148.png

yes it does. I drove it home about 30 miles when I bought it. So I have a 1994 or lower engine on 1996 body?

that three pin connector looks like the one for the a/c compressor and oil pressure switch harness, is it located on the passenger side of the engine compartement

take a pic of your engine bay from above for me. also see if your AC and oil pressure line is connected. will be on the left of the engine bay. thats odd on your oil pan. not sure whats going.

EDIT: reason i want to see the top is i will know if its obd1 or 2. might be someone swapped vins around. see if you have vins on the glass, drivers door, dash and then the frame on the passenger side behind the rear tire. will only be a partial on the frame but should match your dash and door vin.

take a pic of your engine bay from above for me. also see if your AC and oil pressure line is connected. will be on the left of the engine bay. thats odd on your oil pan. not sure whats going.

EDIT: reason i want to see the top is i will know if its obd1 or 2. might be someone swapped vins around. see if you have vins on the glass, drivers door, dash and then the frame on the passenger side behind the rear tire. will only be a partial on the frame but should match your dash and door vin.
ok thanks. I will post pictures when I come home tonight.

Funny, I have the opposite going; a newer bottom end (pans at least) on an obd1 truck. Perhaps the OP and I should trade?

Funny, I have the opposite going; a newer bottom end (pans at least) on an obd1 truck. Perhaps the OP and I should trade?
yeah. I think I read your post a while back. Although I might also have an older engine than my truck. i sure hope someone can help me out.

Also, you are missing the idler pulley on the alternator belts. It mounts to the oil pump cover on the lower LF of the engine (DS)

Get rid of the cogged belts and install new OEM belts so the pulley doesn't make noise when it's installed due to the cogs.

Also, you are missing the idler pulley on the alternator belts. It mounts to the oil pump cover on the lower LF of the engine (DS)

Get rid of the cogged belts and install new OEM belts so the pulley doesn't make noise when it's installed due to the cogs.
oh no. I'm doing Preventive Maint. and replacing as much as I can . Thanks

oh no. I'm doing Preventive Maint. and replacing as much as I can . Thanks
OK. I had mine torn apart like that and didn't know I was missing one until I saw pics of another. I drove it for a year without it. My PO did horrible (none) maintenance and there were a few hacks that worked on it.

If the 1FZ-FE decal on the front of the valve cover is original, that is a 1993 engine.

1993 was the only year that decal was used. Of course there are lots of engines that have had it added to over the years.

I would think an OBDII truck would be crying if the crank sensor signal was missing. That is unless the CEL bulb was removed:idea:
If the 1FZ-FE decal on the front of the valve cover is original, that is a 1993 engine.

1993 was the only year that decal was used. Of course there are lots of engines that have had it added to over the years.

I would think an OBDII truck would be crying if the crank sensor signal was missing. That is unless the CEL bulb was removed:idea:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom