Crank No Start issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for thoughts…
Getting a P0335 error
No signal from the crank sensor
Changed the crank sensor (twice in case the first was a bad replacement).

Also:
Changed Fuel pump
Immobilizer checked
Keys checked
Fuses checked

Next on the guessing list is to cut the crank sensor wire where it's easy to get to and patch in a temp to see if the wire is damaged somewhere.

Any other ideas first?

History: long time 2nd owner, now my son’s 2002 LC. Showed check engine/VSC/TRAC lights for a couple of days (he failed to mention) and then would crank but no start with no warning.
Towed it to my mechanic down the street who (I thought) could tackle it faster than me...but he's stuck trying to figure out the issue.

Thank you in advance for any direction

Last edited:
Bump for visibility.

Not sure, my suggestions would be all of the things you have tried so far.

Someone out there must have some other ideas for a crank no start w/ that code. I know we have 3-4 different wires down in that area. Sometimes the wire up by the driver side cams isn't mounted in the clip and will rub on the serpentine belt. @2001LC has posted some pics of that somewhere.

Isn't that code for the cam sensor? Not sure, I just googled.

P0340 is for camshaft sensor not crank. And there are two camshaft sensors there is one of on bank 1 and one on bank 2. Try changing bank 1 first, if it doesn't start swap with bank 2.

Here we go, check these wires thanks to 2001lc for posting. There's another pic of this floating around where it rubs on serpentine belt . Seen a few cases of that posted here. Worth a check.

crank-wire-routed-wrong-jpeg.3038018

Thank you both! Appreciate the support.

Thank you both! Appreciate the support.
Update, because I’m an idiot.
The code is P0335 if that sets off any alarms for anyone. Updated in the original post.
I’ll reread the threads from @Mike NXP a few more times in the meantime.

With the new crank sensor you are still getting the crank sensor code?
Yes. The code comes back after clearing it.

I should also add we checked for the wire rubbing issue but could not see any damage where the wire is visible. But that doesn’t mean its not damaged where we can’t get to

Yes. The code comes back after clearing it.

I should also add we checked for the wire rubbing issue but could not see any damage where the wire is visible. But that doesn’t mean its not damaged where we can’t get to

Just to make sure we are clarifying everything as the thread was edited and the original post changed too - so we aren't giving advice on the wrong thing! :)

Confirming that you have one code: P0335: Crankshaft Position Sensor.

If you have a crank shaft position sensor error code; its odd, but some people report that code when their starter has failed. Here is an example:

100 series UZJ100 won't crank - . codes P0335 and P0340 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/100-series-uzj100-wont-crank-codes-p0335-and-p0340.1026883/

I do not know why that is the case; but my leading hypothesis are the ECU registers current being sent to the starter and the crank position sensor doesn't report a change and/or the starter and crank position sensor share a diagnostic loop and the starter getting current and not turning could generate resistance and a bad reading?

The FSM should provide a troubleshooting for the code listed where you can do a continuity check of the wire harness.

Just to make sure we are clarifying everything as the thread was edited and the original post changed too - so we aren't giving advice on the wrong thing! :)

Confirming that you have one code: P0335: Crankshaft Position Sensor.

If you have a crank shaft position sensor error code; its odd, but some people report that code when their starter has failed. Here is an example:

100 series UZJ100 won't crank - . codes P0335 and P0340 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/100-series-uzj100-wont-crank-codes-p0335-and-p0340.1026883/

I do not know why that is the case; but my leading hypothesis are the ECU registers current being sent to the starter and the crank position sensor doesn't report a change and/or the starter and crank position sensor share a diagnostic loop and the starter getting current and not turning could generate resistance and a bad reading?

The FSM should provide a troubleshooting for the code listed where you can do a continuity check of the wire harness.
Thanks for sending this thread. I hadn't taken the time to read it before because that situation was no crank and no start, but it's another good place to explore.

Confirming it's one code: P0335, crankshaft sensor

I'll try find the FSM as well. Thanks again!

Crank no start and P0335. If crank sensor good, wires need to be test for continuity. Not only at front of engine. But all they way to ECU. Keep eye out for rodent damage. If all good. I'd ask/suspect recent timing belt service? Where Crank shaft position sensor plate, installed backward. When this happens it rubs belt, as belt wear from rub of plate, plate move inward. OR Crank pulley bolt loose and plate has moved. I've not seen a P0335 for T-belt skipping a tooth, but I'd not rule out until inspected.

See bottom of page for "Crank shaft position sensor plate" orientation.

003 (2).JPG

There are other reason for crank no start. Most deal with fuel pump not getting signal/power or bad fuel pump. But with P0335, I'd start with crank position sensor end to end testing.

Crank no start and P0335. If crank sensor good, wires need to be test for continuity. Not only at front of engine. But all they way to ECU. Keep eye out for rodent damage. If all good. I'd ask/suspect recent timing belt service? Where Crank shaft position sensor plate, installed backward. When this happens it rubs belt, as belt wear from rub of plate, plate move inward. OR Crank pulley bolt loose and plate has moved. I've not seen a P0335 for T-belt skipping a tooth, but I'd not rule out until inspected.

See bottom of page for "Crank shaft position sensor plate" orientation.

View attachment 3320257
Thanks! No recent belt service, but can't hurt to add the crankshaft plate to the list to look at.

Clues:
Any work done to vehicle, working from last service backward. Can yield clues!
This includes windshield, its side molding, roof racks and sun roof. Which could all result in water entry into cabin. Any wires or electronic touched, need consideration. Especially if battery not disconnected when any disconnect or connection made. Even a battery short (spark).

Grounds, like to one near heater tees
Any toys added, nit factory. Especially where wires touched.
Rodents. They love chewing wires. Any sign (droppings).

If timing belt, crank plate & sensor good and secure, crank sensor wire/circuit good end to end. FSM states replace ECM.

IMG_4853.jpeg

IMG_4852.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom