Cracked windshield (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Took our ‘21 LC on a family trip to Block Island for the week. About an hour into the trip we’re on the highway and I hear a loud cracking noise. Big rock got thrown up and put a dime sized crack in the windshield.

Really sucks since the LC only has 4K miles on it. After searching the forums, it seems most people recommend an OEM replacement. I’ll likely go through insurance.

Do I just take it to the dealer
then? Can anyone recommend a good installer in NJ?

Anything to look out for? I don’t want any leaks or wind noise issues. Thanks in advance.

Took our ‘21 LC on a family trip to Block Island for the week. About an hour into the trip we’re on the highway and I hear a loud cracking noise. Big rock got thrown up and put a dime sized crack in the windshield.

Really sucks since the LC only has 4K miles on it. After searching the forums, it seems most people recommend an OEM replacement. I’ll likely go through insurance.

Do I just take it to the dealer
then? Can anyone recommend a good installer in NJ?

Anything to look out for? I don’t want any leaks or wind noise issues. Thanks in advance.
If it is repairable I would do that. I took a rock back in April and was lucky enough that it was repairable. I have a hard time finding the spot now.

Thanks for the reply. I’ll take it to an auto glass place when I get home and see if it’s repairable. That would be great. Really would rather not replace the windshield on a virtually new vehicle.

I’m on my 4th windshield on my ‘13 LX. First 2 were OEM, Last 2 have been Pilkington based on my Lexus dealers recommendation. My current one has 3 repaired chips. If the chip can be repaired do that. Don’t replace until it cracks.

My main advice is avoid safelite at all costs. If the dealer uses them, find someone else, no matter how much good they have to say about their experiences with them.

The day I bought my LC I had the same experience, right at 6 o’clock on the driver’s side - A year later same thing, passenger side. Safelite fixed both, they are visible but they have held up for 4 years.

Do this and you are much more likely to find the better repair shops-

Call the local Porsche service adviser, tell them you have a broken window and they will likely get you to the best place in town.

Porsche owners are almost as neurotic as we are about their cars.

Do this and you are much more likely to find the better repair shops-

Call the local Porsche service adviser, tell them you have a broken window and they will likely get you to the best place in town.

Porsche owners are almost as neurotic as we are about their cars.
Great advice!

The installer is more important than the name on the glass. If it's smaller than a quarter, any chips or stars can be fixed. Do that first.

Great advice!
I had a window broken on my old Cayman and they had a local guy at a brick and mortar that they used exclusively. He was awesome and probably would have never known about him from searching on the web.

Stick with OEM, and as mentioned above, a good installer is critical.

If they disconnect all of the wiring for the rear-view mirror, the vehicle will need "re-calibration" of sensors at the dealership. If the installer is clever enough to not mess with that wiring, it won't.

As previously mentioned avoid Safelite, I speak from experience with my 2015. Find a shop that knows how to properly replace it. One of the main issues is the glass from the factory is set on spacers in order to create a tight seal with the rubber gasket. If the new one is not installed as such you will have a gap in the rubber and mega wind noise. Trust me I know!!!! Ask the dealer who they use?

Here’s a pic of the crack. Any idea if this can be repaired?

C274B19E-2287-4146-A711-0B7C61A6DB55.jpeg

My main advice is avoid safelite at all costs. If the dealer uses them, find someone else, no matter how much good they have to say about their experiences with them.
I have had 7 200s total between my ex wife and I over the last 12 years. I have had at least 10 windshields replaced by Safelite and never had an issue at all.

We’re about 200 miles from home now. Heading back in a week. Then I can have it checked. Hopefully it doesn’t crack further before then.
It's pretty easy to get a chip repaired, even when you're in the middle of a trip. This happened to me mid-trip back in November. Looked similar to your picture. I wanted it repaired as quick as possible to avoid having it crack further and replace the entire windshield. Went through my insurance app and within minutes had an appointment set up at a glass place at my next destination for the next day. Only had to sit in their waiting room for an hour or so while they fixed it.

For repairing rock chips, I don't think you need to avoid Safelite. That's who I used with the rock chip I had in Nov. It wasn't as invisible of a repair as I've had at other places, but it was still fine.

I had a chip repaired last weeks after my annual trip to northern Alaska. It took ~15 min.

I have had 7 200s total between my ex wife and I over the last 12 years. I have had at least 10 windshields replaced by Safelite and never had an issue at all.
I’m glad you have had good experiences. The frequency of very bad ones posted here, and my own using safelite, means I’ll never give them any of my money or let a friend use them without hearing about the IMO huge risk of doing so.

Thanks for all the replies. I’ll try to make a pitstop on the way home. Anyone know a good place to get it repaired in Eastern CT?

We’ll be passing through New Haven, Bridgeport and Stamford. Or I’ll just google some places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom