Cracked plastic oil filter housing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd be really surprised if it could cross-thread at all, even if you intentionally tried to. The diameter is so large you can't really get it on there cock-eyed to even start threading it wrong. And the threads are so huge (compared to what an ordinary bolt has) that you wouldn't be able to do any damage to the threads just hand-tightening it, before realizing it's not threading correctly and stopping.

I'd be really surprised if it could cross-thread at all, even if you intentionally tried to. The diameter is so large you can't really get it on there cock-eyed to even start threading it wrong. And the threads are so huge (compared to what an ordinary bolt has) that you wouldn't be able to do any damage to the threads just hand-tightening it, before realizing it's not threading correctly and stopping.
Agreed.

I would be interested in what Toyota engineers have to say about this. My mechanic replaced the cracked OEM housing on my truck with a metal one (maybe for Venza - not sure) saying that's what he does on all LCs. I would've made the argument that you are the only guy who has wrenched on it so if it's broken, well, but it was so cheap how could I? Also seems to be fairly common. With everything a little or a lot overengineered on the LC you would think a wear part like the oil filter housing would be similarly overengineered, yet it's not. Makes me wonder if there was a purpose. Does anyone know if the LC300 has a plastic or metal housing?

I would be interested in what Toyota engineers have to say about this. My mechanic replaced the cracked OEM housing on my truck with a metal one (maybe for Venza - not sure) saying that's what he does on all LCs. I would've made the argument that you are the only guy who has wrenched on it so if it's broken, well, but it was so cheap how could I? Also seems to be fairly common. With everything a little or a lot overengineered on the LC you would think a wear part like the oil filter housing would be similarly overengineered, yet it's not. Makes me wonder if there was a purpose. Does anyone know if the LC300 has a plastic or metal housing?
I actually bought a spare plastic one just in case mine cracks during an oil change. I have seen the metal ones but I also watched car care nut say not too. However to others points I do not see how the metal filter can cause any issues.

They're plastic on the 200 series to help make the avg MPG of fuel economy improve by 0.00000001 mile/gallon. These things add up, people!

Is car care nut (i'm assuming this is a youtube personality) clear that there is a metal OEM part and a cheap metal Dorman part that no one here is recommending? Maybe he is telling people not to purchase the Dorman unit. I don't know though, i haven't seen his videos.

Is car care nut (i'm assuming this is a youtube personality) clear that there is a metal OEM part and a cheap metal Dorman part that no one here is recommending? Maybe he is telling people not to purchase the Dorman unit. I don't know though, i haven't seen his videos.
I am sure he says that because he viewer base is so huge and covers so many vehicles that it is easier to say use the correct tool rather than look some something else.
From his standpoint its pretty much OEM or bust or buying the part from the brand that makes the OEM one.

From watching his video, he discusses all the types of oil filter housings, metal and plastic, plus the spin-ons that are used. My impression from watching is that for the cartridge types, metal or plastic, once the center stack tube is damaged, loosened, removed / replaced and such, the filter housing is junk as the factory calibration for the by-pass is shot. He is a certified Toyota master mechanic and I am not. As in any YouTube video, take it for what it's worth. As much as I do not like plastic parts and would love to get the Jowett unit, I am not inclined to mess with such a critical system as the oiling system. Problems might not show up in 10,000 or even 50,000 miles but it just makes me nervous. Plus, my LC is still under warranty and I don't want to give Toyota any reason to deny a claim, if one should arise. Magnuson-Moss Act notwithstanding, I don't want to go through the hassle of trying to prove that an after-market housing was not the cause of the problem.

Lol, this is ridiculous that this discussion has gone on for pages now over the validity of the same oil filter housing made from a better material possibly being a catastrophic failure inducing part. Do what you want fellas and if/when those using the metal Venza housings start blowing motors you plastic hold outs can point your fingers and say I told you so.

Lol, this is ridiculous that this discussion has gone on for pages now over the validity of the same oil filter housing made from a better material possibly being a catastrophic failure inducing part. Do what you want fellas and if/when those using the metal Venza housings start blowing motors you plastic hold outs can point your fingers and say I told you so.

The spring and spring seat flange stopper are (the ones being called specially at risk), I assure everyone, identical as well.

I squeezy squeezed it myself.

The spring and spring seat flange stopper are (the ones being called specially at risk), I assure everyone, identical as well.

I squeezy squeezed it myself.
If @AnyMal ‘s magic fingers (ahem, calibrated daily) give it the green light, I’m sold!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom