Coyote Flats / Plateau trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1973Guppie

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.noahsarkstlc.com
Hi Guys!

Planning a coyote flats trip with my family here in August and I wanted to invite others to come along.

The dates are August 16/17/18 weekend. We will be leaving from my house in carlsbad very early AM on friday and coming home sunday night. Because of the remote location it will be important to stay together as a group the whole trip from start to finish. So basically, it will be difficult to "meet up" with others unless they are on the route to bishop, CA.

This is a remote location west of bishop CA. Thanks to Dave of adventureduo for the info on this spot! The road leading out to the baker creek camping spot is about 26 miles long and is mostly fire roads, moderate 4x4ing.

Stock rigs will be fine but please ensure your truck is in proper working order. Also please realize that we are going in as a group and leaving as a group due to the remote location nobody will be left behind no matter the circumstances. TLCA safety rules apply, have a cb, and all the appropriate gear: http://www.tlca.org/events/inspection.shtml

This is a family friendly/dog friendly trip! My family will be along and it should be a great time as it is not hard core 4x4ing.

I will have a spot beacon on hand for any major emergencies.

On saturday others can explore (stay in groups) but I will be spending time hiking a bit up to the few lakes nearby our campsite for some fishing. Baker Lake and Hidden Lake are a short hike from our campsite. My daughter is bringing her princess fishing pole! :)

Some more info on the trip at the links below. Let me know if you would like to come along.

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1643110

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/30788-Coyote-Flat-CA-(5-days)/page3

http://vimeo.com/43365397

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZHMHqyZY8E

Noah

Last edited:
I have that weekend off and having been tossing around the idea of heading up there. We will keep this in mind. Our boys (6 & 4) would have a great time, so would our little girl(2).

I may jump in on this one. I probably won't have a solid answer until mid July. Already taking a couple weeks off work starting this weekend. I'll let you know.

Hi Noah, Jaime with BNT here. Beautiful country, you'll have a great time. If you haven't found this already, the guide by Tony Huegel gives great detail on how to get there and some of the cool things to see/do in the area.

COYOTE FLAT & COYOTE RIDGE
http://books.google.com/books?id=lqF-mz0HMkYC&pg=PA80&lpg=PA80#v=onepage&q&f=false

One of my favorites was the overlook into South Lake and the John Muir Wilderness (N37°11.565'W118°32.985'). You can drive right up to this 11,500ft overlook in your Cruiser with the whole family!

Noah, we've been wanting to do that area for a while now, so I am going to try to make this happen. Thanks for posting up the invite. We may try to extend into the next week to check out more of the area if we can.

Adam

Adam, you should go! It would be a pleasure to have you along......

if you stick around, head north and see june lake and the bodie ghost town. I can also point out a few killer hot springs you gotta check out.

Noah

Yep, Bodie would definitely be on the list to check out on our extracurricular adventure. I'm gonna work on the time off to join you. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Hey Noah, this trip has been on my radar for a really long time. I will post up in my calender and see if I can swing it. Not sure if my son starts school then or not. Can't remember. Subscribed.

PS, hope you don't mind me tagging along ;)

Hey Noah, this trip has been on my radar for a really long time. I will post up in my calender and see if I can swing it. Not sure if my son starts school then or not. Can't remember. Subscribed.

PS, hope you don't mind me tagging along ;)

it would be great to have you along! you should go, will be a good time!

Yep, Bodie would definitely be on the list to check out on our extracurricular adventure. I'm gonna work on the time off to join you. Sounds like a lot of fun.

adam, google travertine hot spring, epic hotspring overlooking the mountains, great place to drink a beer!

adam, google travertine hot spring, epic hotspring overlooking the mountains, great place to drink a beer!

Well now I'm definitely in. Will have to stop in at Mammoth Brewing for their 395 (double IPA).

Looks like I'm in. Got the time off, and we'll probably extend the trip into the early part of the week and hit Bodie and some other spots up there after the weekend. No real plan yet for the afterparty, but anyone else is welcome to join us for that part as well.

Thanks for putting this together Noah! We're looking forward to it.

Looks like I'm in. Got the time off, and we'll probably extend the trip into the early part of the week and hit Bodie and some other spots up there after the weekend. No real plan yet for the afterparty, but anyone else is welcome to join us for that part as well.

Thanks for putting this together Noah! We're looking forward to it.

Sweet!

I'm liking the Bodie idea.

Adam, just a thought, if you are going to Bodie, there is a backway in via dirt roads. It is a great ride and there are a bunch of offshoots we explored and got high up, about 10k feet or so. We were stopped by snow drifts eventually so the road was not passable (especially with only one vehicle) but it should be now? I would do some research and map it out if you are headed up that way as it is a very nice drive. I want to go back eventually and complete it someday.

If you go into bodie via the standard route off of the 395 and then you exit bodie you will see the road leading out of town away from bodie in the other direction. You should be able to go to bodie, then out the other direction and it should drop you nearby the hot springs I mentioned.

Noah

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom