Correct Tie Rod End Torque (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the process of replacement of front end ball joint and track rod end rubber boots on my LC 100. I checked the FSM (2004) and noticed that two different torque settings are given for the tie rod end castle nuts.

The one from the "Steering" section (SR-48 Page:2257) is 72 Nm or 53 ftlbf. The setting from the "Suspension and Axle - Steering Knuckle" section (SA-19 Page:1969) specifies a torque of 122 Nm or 90 ftlbf.

I am sure someone else has raised this before but I haven't been able to find it through Google. Has anyone found some updated information on the correct spec?

Lower ball joint is 159, upper is 110, I'm guessing tierod would be smaller so a lot lower IMHO, for size of thread etc., but I don't have the thread sizes handy.

Thanks for your advice 100TD.

I've been looking around the net for more information. Looks like a tie rod end torque of 67 ftlbs is common for most Toyota 4WD vehicles. Strangely this translates to 90 Nm.

I wonder if Mr T got confused with his units of torque when he wrote the FSM and 90 Nm became 90 ftlbf.

The case for the lower torque value is not so strong. If 67 was assumed to be in Nm then this would be 50 ftlbf, not 53 ftlbf.

For now, I plan to use 67 ftlbs (90 Nm).

If your asking about torque for castle nuts. Than see specs below. Torque to spec than tighten (do not loosen) more, if needed to align hole for cotter pin.
UBJ 81ft-lbf
TRE 90FT-lbf
LBJ 117ft-lbf
Steering Knuckle, wheel bearing & axle hub 065 (2).JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom