Correct metal oil filter housing ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Seen this on another forum....anyone replace the plastic housing with this metal one ?

Yes......Lexus/Toyota 4.6L.......Amazon $21

61eR6AkUyQL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Yes - but you already know that 'cause you saw it on another forum.

The oil filter PN changes as Toyota obsoletes one PN and replaces with another. I think A5 is the latest in the progression.

The metal one has a tendency to seep/leak at the drain plug.

Why would you want to swap them out? The plastic one actually transfers heat better and if you buy the socket service is easy.

ive seen the metal ones leak at the drain cap, but its usually after about 120k with out changing the o-ring or never even removing the cap. metal would be my first choice as ive broken more plastic ones because some idiot decided that the filter housing was the best thing to try that new 4 ft breaker bar on because we all know that its not the o-ring that seals it its how tight you can crank it on

I do my own services/ oil changes so no worries about over tightening and with the proper socket it doesn't get chewed up either.

Amazon also offers a Toyota kit....includes wrench...

new metal housing....filter....gaskets etc....$58

I also do my own oil changes...just need correct P/N to ensure fit

even to have for a spare......this one ?

91oNVYVoawL._SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: r2m
I've used this same metal oil filter removal tool with my metal cap for years.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
Heck! Now that I know the dimensions I can print one on my 3D printer! :hmm:
Just have to make it robust enough to not break when torquing.
I can even do custom colors like Princess Pink, Hop-Scotch Yellow or even Martha Stewart green! :p (not...)

the reason why we use hard plastic inserts instead of aluminum is that the aluminum cup wall is very thin, so plastic under heat will not expend as much as aluminum, that aluminum insert is not for 5.7 motors you need plastic or you can crack the actual cup when its expended and that be a problem.

I replaced my wifes 2015 RAV4 with an aluminum housing a few years back....and then within ~6 months, threw it away and went back to a brand new plastic one.

My wifes plastic housing was rather screwed up from the "free" dealership oil changes and I thought it'd be an upgrade. The aluminum unit developed a slow leak within months, which only got worse over the miles, to the point the RAV4 eventually dripped oil on the driveway.

After that experience, and buying brand new OEM plastic housing, my opinion is this:

- The aluminum units don't seem to mate to the sealing surface well and overall seem to have quality control or warping issues.
- The plastic ones can easily be damaged by fools installing them, but if used correctly, they're rather decent and do the job well.

If yours is busted up/aged, buying a fresh one should restore your confidence in them. Then get the right tool to R&R them and understand the seal doesn't occur due to torque, only enough tightness is needed to keep the housing torqued on and not spinning off, not sealing in oil, so normally snug tight is good.

Last edited:
Were you using aftermarket aluminum or OEM?

I've been using OEM metal unit for nearly 4.5 years without a problem. Never even slightest weep/seep and easy to remove as only on at 18 ft-lbs.

On a 460 if one wants to go with model not using the end-cap this one used on a large number of Lexus passenger sedans up through 2015 reportedly works.

PN: 15620-31040

This info wasn't easily found when I swapped mine in 2017 so I have the model with the removable end-cap which doesn't help on a horizontally mounted filter.

I've seen more than a few videos on Youtube of 460 oil changes and watch owner put o-ring on the wrong spot on oil filter cap. I never repost those anywhere as to not spread bad info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom