Cooling System Metalurgy Chemistry

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by snowcruiser, Jun 29, 2005.

1. snowcruiser

snowcruiser

So I am planning out my hot shower setup and following the thread in outfitting but I have some questions regarding the specific cooling system on the FZJ-80. Mine specifically is a 1996.

1. What metals/materials are the OEM parts that are part of the cooling system?
    what metal is the waterpump,
    radiator,
    block,
    cooling pipes where the f-ing phh is,
    heater valve,
    thermostat etc.

2. Toyota RED is Etylene Glycol as I remember it. Does this have corrosion protection for copper and brass?

3. Would this system be effected by the introduction of a full Copper heat exchanger with brass fittings, some of which comes in contact with coolant, some with water only without anti-corrosives found in coolant?

The reason I ask is the tendancy of copper to patina when weathered. This is a form of oxidation I know, but would it happen inside the pipes for any reason also and contaminate the coolant? Please excuse the elementry questions as my plumbing and metalurgy skills are lacking...

Cheers

2. CharlieS

CharlieS

I am not terribly knowledgable about this, but I'll take a crack at it.

1) what metal is the
    waterpump -> aluminum and stainless steel
    radiator -> aluminum and plastic
    block -> cast iron
    cooling pipes where the f-ing phh is -> mild steel
    heater valve -> ?? plastic
    thermostat etc. - > stainless and spring steel

2) yes, it does

3) no, that is what most modern household fittings are made of copper pipe and brass valves and they carry "plain" water.

4) just do it...

3. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

Cu does not normally oxidize to a patina when exposed only to water, I would think. That's more an air problem. Can get dirty though.
    As far as electrochemical reactions with coolant etc, I don't know.
    There are indeed problems to be aware of when mixing metals (galvanic effects etc?)...

4. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

The 93/94 80s have copper and brass radiators along with the aluminum head, etc. So I think if you add a copper heat exchanger into your system you'll be just fine. You'll simply have the same combination of metals that a 93/94 has and they suffer no galvanic issues. Informationally, in 95 up 80s the radiator was changed to aluminum for weight savings. General suggestions here are to stick with the Toyota Red, or standard Prestone Green, but never to mix them and thoroughly rinse the block drain and backflush the rear heaters and entire system if switching.

I'd also ask these questions of the maker of your shower as they undoubtedly are elbow deep into the whole galvanic/cooling/mixing thing since it's their business.

DougM

5. snowcruiser

snowcruiser

Thanks for the responses guys. Actually I am asking the questions because I am planning to make the heat exchanger myself and have no company to turn to for R and D.

Thanks.

6. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

Snow,

Makes me wonder if you couldn't purchase an ordinary off the shelf heat exchanger from some industrial app and plumb it in vs actually MAKING a heat exchanger. That sounds like some serious and delicate work with all the soldering, delicate fins, etc. Just a thought. My neighbor works for a company that sells marine shower and heater systems and it seems like these are just off the shelf parts they package up.

DougM

DougM

7. snowcruiser

snowcruiser

Thanks Doug. Could you get some more information about the products your neighbor uses/sells?

8. spressomon

spressomon glutton Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Ditto. :)

9. Bryan E.

Bryan E.

ditto here also along with the smilie face.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.