Coolant smell, just can't pinpoint it......

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by concretejungle, Aug 6, 2005.

1. concretejungle

concretejungle

about 3 weeks ago i installed the prestone coolant flush kit and flushed the cooling system. I replaced all the hoses that looked to be in bad shape. Now, i occasionally get a sweet smell, like coolant, every once in a while like in a drive-thru or at a stoplight. I have checked every hose in the engine bay for signs of leaks; none. I have checked the overflow resevior for bubbles indicating HG failure, none. I have checked overflow/radiator coolant levels to see if any coolant seems to be dissapearing; level stays constant. Maybe i'm paranoid but i can't seem to pinpoint the smell or a leak. Any ideas?

2. treerootCO

treerootCO Where are my keys?! SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    heater...

3. concretejungle

concretejungle

What do you mean? I haven't been using the heat.

4. elmariachi

elmariachi

If you smell coolant and there is none visible in the engine bay, then your heater core might be leaking. I won't even try to speculate if its associated with your recent coolant system work, but I would start peeling up the passenger front carpet and looking for moisture and smell there around the firewall.

5. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

I had a similar situation for about the last year. Kept topping off and looking. I replaced several hoses that were bad but finally got to the bottom of it as the lower tank on the rad had a leak. Not allowas and it wasn't until it started dumping coolanft in the driveway that I was able to find it.

6. tusk74

tusk74

Wait until it gets cold enough to need to use the heater. If your cabin fills up with a sweet smelling fog and you can't keep the inside of the windshield clear, heater core.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.