Coolant Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Now I've got a coolant leak somewhere and I can't find it. I replaced my PHH yesterday. I looked all around in that area and don't see any evidence. It's a pretty steady drip, drip, drip and it's coming off the tranny pan. It's red and I'm sure it's coolant. I used the red lined silicone heater hose, but not constant tension clamps for my PHH replacement. I suppose it's possible it's a "cold" leak at the block. Maybe if I tighten the clamps a little more? What else could it be? Could I have cracked a rear heater hose when I back flushed the system? I just can't see where it's coming from. If it is the rear heater hoses, how do you get to them, from inside the vehicle? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
hatfieldcb said:
Now I've got a coolant leak somewhere and I can't find it. I replaced my PHH yesterday.

Chris...get up on something end get over on top of the back of the engine with a light. If you are 100% sure its not the PHH, my guess is its one of those rear heater hoses that's seeping and you can't see it.

Follow the heater hose up from the PHH and check for seepage. I had to replace the hoses on either side of the heater valve.

Vince

Thanks guys. I've looked and looked. I'll look some more. Could it possibly be a cold leak at the block side that's traveling? There is a ridge just below the PHH. I suppose if the clamp's not tight enough it could be that. I'll keep looking. :rolleyes:

you could put in some fluorescent dye but that seems overkill. Surely you shoudl be able to see it.
If you like to live dangerously, warm up the engine and see if it sprays some place...

Hi Eric,

I did that. No spray. If anything, the leak subsided. I shut it off 20-30 minutes ago and, for now, it appears to not be leaking. :confused:

what did you do to this truck? now that it can't do the PHH on you any more for a while, it's working on another hose to blow up any time... Just to keep you interested...? Must be a female... :D

e9999 said:
what did you do to this truck? now that it can't do the PHH on you any more for a while, it's working on another hose to blow up any time... Just to keep you interested...? Must be a female... :D

No doubt! Just drove 60 miles R/T. Stopped for 20-30 minutes in between. Nothing. The pavement was dry underneath the vehicle. I'll see what happens over night after it sits. :confused:

OK. Now it's sat for a while and I've got a small puddle underneath the PS firewall area. Must be a lower heater hose. :mad:

Last edited:
hatfieldcb said:
OK. Now it's sat for a while and I've got a small puddle underneath the PS firewall area. Must be a lower heater hose. :mad:

so, it's a female and it's piddling in your driveway...? :eek:

hatfieldcb said:
I used the red lined silicone heater hose, but not constant tension clamps for my PHH replacement. I suppose it's possible it's a "cold" leak at the block. Maybe if I tighten the clamps a little more?

Considering that the oem clamps were not nearly as high tech or strong, I think you're fine in this dept! :D

Chris. That puddle you got after driving is normal if its clear. It's from the AC. If its Red it is not.

Not use to AC with the pig.

Oh no! was he talking about the A/C condensation drip???
that would be funny.
But he did say it's red though...

It was red the other day. Not sure what it was last night, but it was gone by morning. I'm just going to keep an eye one it for now. :)

After driving with the AC on there will be a drip for a while were you described it. If it was on the garage floor, there would be a red stain. Otherwise, normal operation. Could the other have been spilled coolent that collected somewhere and driped down later?

Quite possibly. It was dripping down off the tranny pan. I suppose it could have collected somewhere. I'll keep you all posted. ;)

My leak showed up again. Definitely red coolant. I took a look tonight and my PHH fix is leaking!! I tightened the hose clamps. We'll see. :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom