Coolant Gauge spiked (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ran an Arron today and got back home and pulled into the drive way and the coolant gauge spiked and would not come down at all. No coolant leaks motor was not scorching hot. But I have started to hear a gurgling sound coming from the heater core area. Any thoughts. I have had the coolant gauge spike ever since I have owned the truck.

It could be an air pocket in your cooling system. Make sure your radiator is full and then try and "burp" the air out of it. I had a problem once where the tube that runs from the radiator cap to the overflow container got a small hole in it. It didn't leak when fluild was pushed out into the overflow tank, but the leak was big enough to prevent the fluid from being sucked back into the radiator. Therefore the radiator ran low, even though the overflow tank was full. The same thing can happen if the dip tube falls off the overflow tank cap.

Okay thanks for that I will check into that.

Did your gas gauge spike at the same time? The reason i ask is that the fuel gauge and the temp gauge are together and this is a pretty common prob with 62's. you dont really need to fix it if it only happens periodically but doesnt bother you otherwise IIRC the part is about 60 bucks.

On my cruiser this happened, but it went up and down not pegged.
I took the gauge out and cleaned the contacts on the back and burped the system and it solved the problem.
Taking the gauge out is really easy to do
Run a search on burping etc you'll find some good info

This morning I let it burp, its at home, when I get home I am going to check the coolant in the expansion tank. Then I am going to put the right front wheel on a ramp so that the right side is higher than the left so all of air will hopefully burp out by doing this. And yes when I have a full tank of gas, the gas gauge spikes as well.

if the gas gauge is spiking at the same time its your fuel gauge. they are are one in the same. You can clean the contacts. that worked ok for me. I just accepted it for now. As long as it goes down to normal your fine. I did all the same things that you are doing. Burped it too before someone on here gave me the advice about the fuel gauge...

is this happen after you turn off the cruiser? if so that totaly normal

if not....its the fuel guage like others said

I have an 89 with 240,000 plus miles on it. My gas/temp gauge has spiked for the 32,000 miles Ive owned it. I fix it the cave man way by giving the dash a good smach, and the problem goes away. It will spike no mater how much gas the tank has.:bang:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom