Coolant Evidence - Water Pump Leak? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey @CalEngineer , hope you don't mind if I "hijack" your thread a bit. I think I have the same issue so I didn't want to start a whole new thread. My guess is that it would be same guys (@bloc , @CharlieS , etc) jumping in with advice anyway. Here's a couple of pics of my coolant leak that I ALSO found while doing an oil change. No telltale pink at the top of the engine or radiator. Can only be seen from the bottom.

As far as I know, everything on the list earlier in the thread is original. The radiator has the infamous crack but I applied the epoxy patch before it started leaking and it's held for over 15K miles and a year. That being said, if I need to do the water pump, I might as well do everything, including the radiator. This was my plan for the near future but not THIS soon. I have a 4K mile trip coming up in 10 days and I simply do not have the time to attempt this myself since I've not done any of it before. I've learned a ton here on Mud and was going to attempt this job myself but not with the trip in 10 days.

So, first question, which may be insanely stupid but is the water pump leaking a potential catastrophic failure on a trail? Or as long as I monitor the coolant level and keep it topped off, this work can wait until I get back and can attempt it myself.

If the answer to the question above is "Yes, that is insanely stupid" then, does anyone have a ballpark estimate on the price to get that work done (Water pump, Thermostat, Thermostat housing, Tensioner, Idler pulley, Radiator, Serpentine belt, Hoses)? I know labor prices vary from locale to locale but with parts included, is it a $1500 job or a $3000 job.

I'm assuming parts alone is going to be around $700 if I get them myself. This is based don't the research I'd already done in prep for this job:
Radiator 16400-50384
Fan Bracket
Upper hose 16571-38080
Lower hose 16572-38131
thermostat 16031-0S010
water pump 16100-09491
belt tensioner 16620-0S012
serpentine belt 90916-A2033
belt idler pulley 16603-38012

1625340637913.png
1625340653407.png

Hey @CalEngineer , hope you don't mind if I "hijack" your thread a bit. I think I have the same issue so I didn't want to start a whole new thread. My guess is that it would be same guys (@bloc , @CharlieS , etc) jumping in with advice anyway. Here's a couple of pics of my coolant leak that I ALSO found while doing an oil change. No telltale pink at the top of the engine or radiator. Can only be seen from the bottom.

As far as I know, everything on the list earlier in the thread is original. The radiator has the infamous crack but I applied the epoxy patch before it started leaking and it's held for over 15K miles and a year. That being said, if I need to do the water pump, I might as well do everything, including the radiator. This was my plan for the near future but not THIS soon. I have a 4K mile trip coming up in 10 days and I simply do not have the time to attempt this myself since I've not done any of it before. I've learned a ton here on Mud and was going to attempt this job myself but not with the trip in 10 days.

So, first question, which may be insanely stupid but is the water pump leaking a potential catastrophic failure on a trail? Or as long as I monitor the coolant level and keep it topped off, this work can wait until I get back and can attempt it myself.

If the answer to the question above is "Yes, that is insanely stupid" then, does anyone have a ballpark estimate on the price to get that work done (Water pump, Thermostat, Thermostat housing, Tensioner, Idler pulley, Radiator, Serpentine belt, Hoses)? I know labor prices vary from locale to locale but with parts included, is it a $1500 job or a $3000 job.

I'm assuming parts alone is going to be around $700 if I get them myself. This is based don't the research I'd already done in prep for this job:
Radiator 16400-50384
Fan Bracket
Upper hose 16571-38080
Lower hose 16572-38131
thermostat 16031-0S010
water pump 16100-09491

I had the whole list replaced except I didn’t have the fan bracket and fan clutch replaced. At an independent mechanic. The book time is 3.5 hours of labor. I paid about $400 for the labor. I purchased parts online from Toyota discounted parts. All oem. Make sure you get the clamps for the hoses. I had it all replaced as preventative maintenance at 86k miles. 2013 Lexus lx 570.

Last edited:
I think your prices are close. I think mine ran about $800, parts from online dealerships with discount prices. It also included several gallons of Toyota coolant from my local dealer.

I’m not an expert, but I don’t think these water pumps fail catastrophically. I think they’ll weep for a good long time.

Radiator 16400-50384
Fan Bracket
Upper hose 16571-38080
Lower hose 16572-38131
thermostat 16031-0S010
water pump 16100-09491

View attachment 2720887 View attachment 2720889

Personally, as long as you aren’t towing a large trailer, I’d go on the trip, though I’d bring a gallon of coolant and maybe another gallon of distilled water.

I agree with @CharlieS that they don’t seem to let go catastrophically. They just weep. Technically it is a leak point and could compromise the pressure holding ability of the whole system, which can reduce total thermal capacity, but as long as you aren’t pushing it to the limits it should be fine. For these vehicles “limits” means sustained high horsepower, like towing a large trailer up a very long hill, or hours on the freeway with said trailer.

So yeah, bring the supplies to top it up if the leak worsens, keep an eye on the temp gauge and reservoir level when you stop for fuel, and have fun on your trip. Then address the parts list and process to change it when you get back.

Thanks for all the info guys! Exactly what I was hoping to hear. I really want to tackle this project myself but just didn’t have time in the next 10 days.

One other thought. If you want some confirmation that the bearings are healthy, you can find a mechanic’s stethoscope and listen to the housing while the engine is running. It’ll be a little tough to snake the probe in there with the fan and belt in the way but should be possible.. and if the bearings aren’t healthy it’ll sound like world war 3. If they are, it’ll be more of a hiss.

Price sounds about right for the parts based on what I paid about a month ago. Also, just to re-iterate - be careful with that little hose on connecting the thermostat to the rest of the cooling system. It’s a pain in the ass to get to and get on and off due to its size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom