Coolant drip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This was my very first “getting my hands dirty” with no one to hold my hand, really exciting...

I’m chasing a coolant drip. Doesn’t drip on short runs when the engine remains cold. Engine does not overheat (for now?), but leak starts once engine is warm and, I think, it’s accompanied by a peculiar whining/humming sound, something between a jet plane winding down and a mosquito (how vague is that description?!?!). The whine occurs only when you get off the gas pedal and, I think, at lower speed, like slowing down before an intersection, for example. Frankly, I don’t know if this whine was there before the leak, so it could obviously be something unrelated (another project maybe, yay...)

Back to the leak. It doesn’t seem to go on for much longer once I park. It comes down through the front skid plate. You can’t see it from above (I looked everywhere, including below the fan). I haven't lost a lot of coolant, only topped the plastic tank once and now it stays at almost the same level, but I haven’t driven much either.

So, I warmed up the engine (heard the whining sound) removed the front skid plate and saw it coming along the edge of the fan shroud, where it meets with the radiator. It also came down under the lower radiator hose, but the hose and clamp look fine otherwise, so me thinks it’s coming from above the hose, like the rest of it.

I loosened the three (or the four) bolts on the driver side of the fan shroud and, while under the truck, pushed the shroud slightly away from the radiator. It seemed that the leek is somewhere behind the shroud, as I look from down below, along the edge where it meets the radiator.

Question 1: So, this looks like the radiator is leaking somewhere down there, right? I can’t see anything green under the fan from above though. Is this a common problem, I couldn’t find anything in the forums.

Almost forgot, here’s the last piece of the puzzle. I put my finger in the coolant below the radiator cap and I discovered this substance that looks like paste made out of beige/grayish chalk like material. Then I notices that the same substance, but this time hardened, was all along the edge between the fan shroud and the radiator, down below, exactly where the leak was coming out of.

Question 2: Is this some Stop Leak substance? I also then noticed that the bottom of the radiator has green stains that could be rather old, but I’m not sure. My logic being that if the PO put a Stop Leak this is not a new but a reoccurring problem. The lower edge of the fan shroud was also rusted, with thin sheets separating and coolant caught between them.

So here are the last questions (and do I have questions?):

Question 3: How likely is a radiator leak in this (lower) area repairable?

Question 4: I know that Stop Leak is not the preferred solution by many, but assuming it was done already by the PO, will using more of it make any difference, in terms of potential damage, at this point (my gut feeling being that adding more Stop Leak means more chances for it clogging the wrong spots).

Question 5: What kind/brand of Stop Leak do you think that is, having in mind the description above. Guessing I should put the same kind, if I go this rout.

Question 6: With a leak like that, can I just keep toping off with water or 50/50 until I get myself to attempt a more thorough solution (i.e., radiator repair/replacement).

Thanks much for reading all of this and sorry for the long post, I’m just a noob trying to be thorough...

:)

well my guess is that your water pump is leaking out of the weep hole, its not easy to see, but thats my guess(pretty sure) It might look like its coming from the rad.....but I bet its not, thats just the path the stuff if flowing from the weep hole.

stop leak will not help, will need a new waterpump pretty soon

It's clean under the water pump

Thanks much for the reply. I looked again at the pump, it's clean. The weep hole is on the bottom of the water pump itself right, I can't see the hole itself, is there a trick to see it better? But pump is clean and it's clean under the pump as well, the pulleys etc.

I see coolant very far away from the pump. When I removed the front skid plate under the radiator and looking from under the car I can see the coolant coming from behind the fan shroud, along the edge of the fan shroud, where it meets with the radiator.

And now, when I look from above, I can see coolant under the fan, again, right between the radiator and the fan shroud, where they meet.

It looks like the rad leaking from its lower back end somewhere where it meets with the fan shroud, no? The front of the rad is clean.

Thanks again.

well my guess is that your water pump is leaking out of the weep hole, its not easy to see, but thats my guess(pretty sure) It might look like its coming from the rad.....but I bet its not, thats just the path the stuff if flowing from the weep hole.

stop leak will not help, will need a new waterpump pretty soon

Water flows downhill. I've had issues similar to yours. I saw coolant collecting at the bottom tank. When I first purchased my truck, it was a blown radiator. But when it was hot, I could see steam/water bubbling out, so it was clear that's where the problem was. A couple of months ago I was seeing coolant again. It turned out to be the upper radiator hose just wasn't tight enough. coolant was leaking out from the bottom of the hose and I couldn't see it from the top. I had to use a mirror to find the leak. I loosened the clamp, rotated it a bit and re-tightened it. Problem solved.

If you end up having to pull the radiator, it would be a good time to cut the fan shroud in half so that in the future you will be able to remove the upper half easily. From what you are describing, the leak is from the radiator or an associated hose. I agree, take it to a shop for a test. Land Pimp has posted a reasonable source of new radiators if that is what you need (do search). Don't mess with stop leak.

leaks flow in odd ways.......yes the weep hole is on the bottom of the pump, I was able to see it form underneath, I think I found it showed up in the same spot your talking about.

but it could be the rad also.....

QUOTE=CruiseIn'Red88;2345321]Thanks much for the reply. I looked again at the pump, it's clean. The weep hole is on the bottom of the water pump itself right, I can't see the hole itself, is there a trick to see it better? But pump is clean and it's clean under the pump as well, the pulleys etc.

I see coolant very far away from the pump. When I removed the front skid plate under the radiator and looking from under the car I can see the coolant coming from behind the fan shroud, along the edge of the fan shroud, where it meets with the radiator.

And now, when I look from above, I can see coolant under the fan, again, right between the radiator and the fan shroud, where they meet.

It looks like the rad leaking from its lower back end somewhere where it meets with the fan shroud, no? The front of the rad is clean.

Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

I took it to a radiator shop (thanks D'Animal), the guy looked under it and said the rad leaks at the bottom seam. Didn't do a pressure test... My temperature is normal at the moment, and it's just a drip, I plan to drive like that for a while, topping off with water, given that now I'm reasonably sure it's not the water pump.

2mbb, thanks for the mirror tip, now I've added a mirror to my to-buy list, along with the Metrinch set (what do people think of Metrinch, btw):

http://www.mitools.com/combination/2362.php

The gunk I found in the coolant and down along the rad seam is Stop Leak according to the rad guy, so I guess the quicker I flush the system the better... would that get rid of all the Stop Leak inside?

Heartworm, thanks for the tip to split the fan shroud in half, will surely do, once I gather the courage to pull the radiator to have it sealed.

If you end up having to pull the radiator, it would be a good time to cut the fan shroud in half so that in the future you will be able to remove the upper half easily.

Heartworm, thanks for the tip to split the fan shroud in half, will surely do, once I gather the courage to pull the radiator to have it sealed.

I would not recomend doing this.

When you remove the four bolts that hold the schroud on you lift it up over the tab on top if the radiator. From there you can hang the schroud on the fan as you remove the radiator.

I know this works on both of my 60's but I'm not sure if it works on a 62 since they have the auto tranny cooler in with the radiator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom