Convert a Warn M8000 to 24volt? Or run it off a BJ74 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello guys.

I currently have a PTO, and am pretty sold on electric winches for self recovery.
I would like to have a Warn and ARB combo.
I am wondering if my 12v Warn M8000 can be made to work on my BJ74?
I could use some 24volt help here. :)

I was wondering if I can convert a Warn M8000 to 24 volt?
Or if I can run it of 1 battery? And do so without messing up the 24volt system?

Any options?
Keeping my current winch if I can run it is probably be cheapest option.
Or if I can covert it to 24v.

Thanks,
Nick

Nick:

One option would be to get the motor rewound - there used to be a motor shop in the industrial park, but it's been 18 years since I lived in Cranbrook..:eek: :doh:

I definately wouldn't run off of one battery..

There has been a few post on this and I think you can run a 12 volt winch on 24 volt. I seem to remember crusher saying he has done this many times. Maybe PM him and see what he says.

I think the line speed goes up too.

There has been a few post on this and I think you can run a 12 volt winch on 24 volt. I seem to remember crusher saying he has done this many times. Maybe PM him and see what he says.

I think the line speed goes up too.
I wonder if running 24volt would burn out the winch?
I will email warn. And see what they say? Or if I can convert it, and for how much?

I did some reading about load balancing batteries.
It would seem that if I pulled 100+ amps out of one battery, that it would imbalance the batteries when charging, and thus eventually destroy them both. However I wonder if my solor converter would adjust for this as it balances the batteries?

Cheers,
Nick

I doubt warn will be of much help.

They will say it was built for 12 volts.

Check if you can re wind it. Sell the PTO and the 12 volt and buy a 24 volt model maybe???

I got one re-wound for 24V. Cost me $500.00 and it went to Manitoba if I remember correctly. That was 10 yrs ago or more .... Line speed was faster I recall. Watch those fingers! Are the JDM electric winch 24V? (ie. G&S)

Johnny

Hello Guys,

Warn got back to me.
I will need a 24v controller box and a 24v motor.
But they did send me a wiring diagram of the 24v controller.
I could just swap some solinoids to save some $$$.

It still sounds like to much money.
I will sell it and try to get a 24v.
Either a OEM copy from G&S or a 24v warn.
I am thinking a 8274 (or oem copy) right now.

Already trying to find one.
This is already posted in the 70 section:
But does anyone know the bolt pattern for the OEM copy?
The Warn is 10 x 4.5

I want to know if a Warn copy will fit an ARB.

Cheers,
Nick

Nick, I'd be interested in seeing the wiring diagram that Warn sent you (is it in electronic format?).

I would have thought it'd be less expensive to rebuild your current winch for 24V. I understand $500 (CDN) is the ballpark for a re-wind, and the solenoids should be under $100. The 24V Toyota winches are likely more than that, and still won't have a brand-new motor.

Even better, would be to get an old, burned-out motor re-wound, and sell your 12V motor to offset costs.

Cheers,
Steve

A new 8274 is well over 1200 bucks. Probablly 1500 canadian. But maybe there are deals out there.

If you have to buy a new motor to run it at 24 volts... why not just run 24 into the orginal motor, if it fails then buy a 24v motor...... How often are you going to use it? All the wheeling I have done(not a lot) I have gotten by with a snatch sttrap annd a tug from another vehicle. Or do you wheel alone?

A new 8274 is well over 1200 bucks. Probablly 1500 canadian. But maybe there are deals out there.

If you have to buy a new motor to run it at 24 volts... why not just run 24 into the orginal motor, if it fails then buy a 24v motor...... How often are you going to use it? All the wheeling I have done(not a lot) I have gotten by with a snatch sttrap annd a tug from another vehicle. Or do you wheel alone?

I do wheel alone sometimes.
I probably could get by with a come along, but I have broken a 2 ton before (don't ask :) ). I also like the speed and conveince of an electric winch. I have my PTO for now in the Alluminum bumper. But I want a stronger bumper (and tow points), and I do prefer an electric winch for self recovery.

I would want want my Warn to blow a motor when I need it (ie. my rolled truck). Especially because its would be my own fault (24v into a 12v). Please no comments about blowing the Warn when I need it the most. I know it can blow. I just don't want to give it a reason.

I think I will sell it, and look for a 8274 in 24v. or a 8274 copy.
I just wish someone could tell me if it will fit an ARB or not.

Cheers,
Nick

The oem isn't a 8274 copy I don't think. The pics I thought I have seen were similar to the regular M8000.

You could post in outfitting that question if the oem foot pattern fits a ARB or such. Or PM Landpimp :)

The oem isn't a 8274 copy I don't think. The pics I thought I have seen were similar to the regular M8000.

You could post in outfitting that question if the oem foot pattern fits a ARB or such. Or PM Landpimp :)

The OEM winch I'm installing in my BJ73 is a warn and nothing like an M8274. Definitely more like the M8000.

I do not believe the 8274 fits the OME winch bumper without mods, however could well be wrong.

The 24V factory winch that came on the BJ74 and HJ61 does have similarities to the 8274. It also is held at the rear of the winch body, giving more support to the winch. The factory unit comes with a military grade screw in connection for the controller, and has a overheat protect circut light on the controller. The controller also has a magnet on the base.

The flat style 24V winch that come on the HZJ7* models may be what you are thinking brownbear. It uses the same controller as the earlier winch.

hth's

gb

Nick:
My OEM winch is similar to a 8274 in configuration, but is much stouter than what I recall of the 8274's... And I really doubt that it would retail for a similar price. I tried to take some pictures, but there is too much stuff in the way... It mounts at the fairlead/front plate, but it also has mounts at the rear of the winch, unlike a 8274 IIRC. Also, whether your motor will handle 24 volts or not depends on the design of the motor, and how it is wound..it is a definate possibility that it could work fine and be twice as fast on 12V. But it might very well "smoke" if stalled out.

BB - I've also seen the stock winches that look like M8000 clones. But mine's not one of those.

Greg - I've seen pictures of HZJ's with the planetary winches, but my HZJ has the other/older? style - and the mount is definately "factory". My HZJ is 01/90 build however, so it could be a transitional thing.

Last edited:
I've seen that Ramsey offers 24v winches. They've been in the business for a long time. What about their low profile units?

Nick;

A few thoughts about running a 12V winch on 24V:

the windings are heavier on the 12v unit, it will run faster (maybe even too fast for the bushing on the motor cap), the solenoids won't like 24V but they can be swapped.

I used to have an old 6V VW bug (don't ask...) that I converted to 12V. Almost everything gets changed except the starter... and the 6V starter worked great on 12V! (and it never died even after years and years of service.

I'd say, if you can handle the line speed and you swap out the solenoids for 24V units, you should be good to go...

Also, don't bother with rewinding the motor, you can get a new one in 24V for about the same cost.

~John

I do not believe the 8274 fits the OME winch bumper without mods, however could well be wrong
gb

I'm pretty sure there are (or at least USED to be) 2 different ARB winch bars for the 70 - 1 for lay down style and 1 for the 8274. My 8274 bolted right in, no mods.

I'm pretty sure there are (or at least USED to be) 2 different ARB winch bars for the 70 - 1 for lay down style and 1 for the 8274. My 8274 bolted right in, no mods.

Ya...you're right. I was chatting to Sheldon earlier and he said the same thing. Something about it being a different line (industrial...or something like that).

Question is then if the OEM 8274 "style" winch is the same bolt spacing as the Warn 8274. Something to measure tomorrow.

Thanks

gb

That was for the 80 series bar. IIRC the last ARB bar I put on my 70 got a 8274 but it also came with the hardware to mount the planetary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom