1979 BJ40 CDN 24Volt Evil tap headlight issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a new to me BJ40 with a very dim headlight on the passenger side. I fixed a broken wire to a non operational turn indicator bulb in the cluster and replaced all the battery cables with 0aught. That resulted in a working indicator in the cluster but now the high beam indicator stays on at all times at about 10% brightness. Disconnecting the dim headlight plug stops the high beam indicator from glowing. When replacing the battery cables I thought it odd there was a factory wire running to the driver side battery - turns out that is power to the head lights. I have now read that there should be one on the passenger side to the positive - hence the evil tap set up. Unfortunately there is no wire to be found and the harness has been tampered with by a PO. Can anyone tell me what the wire colour is supposed to be and where it is supposed to go that should be connected to the battery on the passenger side.

I have a new to me BJ40 with a very dim headlight on the passenger side. I fixed a broken wire to a non operational turn indicator bulb in the cluster and replaced all the battery cables with 0aught. That resulted in a working indicator in the cluster but now the high beam indicator stays on at all times at about 10% brightness. Disconnecting the dim headlight plug stops the high beam indicator from glowing. When replacing the battery cables I thought it odd there was a factory wire running to the driver side battery - turns out that is power to the head lights. I have now read that there should be one on the passenger side to the positive - hence the evil tap set up. Unfortunately there is no wire to be found and the harness has been tampered with by a PO. Can anyone tell me what the wire colour is supposed to be and where it is supposed to go that should be connected to the battery on the passenger side.
So it seems there really isn't supposed to be a second power wire going to the low side battery. looks like my problem must be either headlight relay or ground related.

Is this a Canadian Spec BJ40? If so, it should have 12V coming off the low side battery to the headlight relay. Best way to see where you are is check the three connections for the left and right headlights with a voltmeter and see where you're at.

Check out these threads if you havent seen them yet. They link to diagrams and discussions of wire colour codings for each pin on the left and right headlights on the Cdn Spec BJ42.

hth's
gb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom