conversion modifacations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When doing a v8 conversion with the AA kit why do you have to do driveshaft mods and floorboard mods? And what are the dimensions for these changes. Also what are the average prices on the driveshaft mods. I am looking to do this prefferably with the marks of australia but I was offered a complete AA kit for 100 dollars. This sounds too good to be true but if it pans out I would assume it would be worth it from the price angle. If anyone has a negative or positive opinion of this kit I would be greatful to hear it as well as any advice or instruction on installatioin.

The reason for modifications is that the AA kit will position the chevy engine too far back against the firewall if the toyota drivetrain is left in the stock position. This can lead to overheating. The Mark's kit uses a extension that is attached to the original toyota bellhousing that positions the engine far enough forward without mods. The AA book on Land Cruisers states these facts and is very helpfull. I think for the money you will be saving a little hacking on the tranny cover for the shifters is worth it. Thats my two cents.

what are you converting.  What is the tranny u will be using
Exactly. Every conversion is custom. There is no formula. Tells us exactly which tranny and transfer case. There are many combinations and each is slightly different.

AA makes good stuff. If the adapter is specific for your drivetrain, it sounds like a good buy. But you will need other parts too, depending on your specific situation. I spent months reading up before I actually started wrenching. The Tech site has good writeups.

I was planning on doing it on my 77 fj-40 with the stock 4 speed. I have a 4 inch lift will this have any effect on the conversion process.

Thanks for the input

I was planning on doing it on my 77 fj-40 with the stock 4 speed.  I have a 4 inch lift will this have any effect on the conversion process.  

Thanks for the input
The lift won't have any direct effects other than determining your driveline lengths. What we're asking now is which engine you will use. The most common are the small block Chevy's, but people do it with big blocks and Fords too. Each type requires a unique adaptor to mate to your 4-speed. Once you get further along, there are plenty of people with V8 and stock 4-speed and transfer who will advise you. I used the sm465 tranny so mine is slightly different. Engine cooling is one of the major considerations. You want to be away from the firewall to allow circulation, and close enough to the radiator for the fan to pull air through it. This means your transmission may move forward some. I think with the stock 4-speed and a Chev small block you can keep the original tranny location. Someone else here will know. I had to cut the floorpan and bend the transfer shifter.

Read, read, read!! :G

I am using a chev 350. Also is there a website that goes through the process step by step. I plan on keeping the stock radiator and stock 4 speed.

I plan on keeping the stock radiator
I'm guessing you either enjoy overheating or live in the arctic circle? :-/
Clean and get it recored, then you should be good. Overheating blows. ('Course I wouldn't know much about it since I am still running an F :p :D)

I'm running a stock radiator with a plain Jane 305 and it runs cooler than the old 2F. :banana:

I am using a chev 350.  Also is there a website that goes through the process step by step.  I plan on keeping the stock radiator and stock 4 speed.
Start with the Advance Adapter booklets for Land Cruisers. http://www.advanceadapters.com/newidea.html They will tell you the basics, like engine placement, drivetrain lengths, adapters required, etc. Keep in mind that they aren't the only company that sells adapters. But their booklets are great for learning the basics.

Then start reading the Tech writeups on ih8mud. Then search the forums here and over at http://www.pirate4x4.com/ and wherever else someone might recommend. You'll find that everyone solves problems a little differently. That's the fun and the pride of it.

If you can't find the AA booklets, email me at theo@selway.umt.edu and I'll send you copies. I'm pretty sure I have a couple of each.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom