Continental TerrainContact and General Grabber ATX Tires on an LC200 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello and thanks to everyone for their participation in these forums - they have been very helpful. I bought my first Land Cruiser a few months ago. It is a used all-stock 2014 LC200. This is my first post.

My use is 85% in town with the rest being a mix of highway, dirt washboard, and rough logging type roads. My towing is limited to just a few times a year. I don't plan to rock crawl, mud, or desert race (at least for now).

Also, at this time, I don't plan to modify the vehicle, except for maybe a new suspension at some point.

The vehicle came with Hanook Dynapro HP2 touring tires (which weigh 39 lbs per tire). The tires needed to be replaced so I looked around for alternatives. Here is a picture of the Hanook Dynapro HP2s:
Hanook.png

I wanted tires that had good on-road performance, but could still handle my light to moderate off-road use. I also wanted the tire to look somewhat like an off-road tire.

I considered various Cooper tires, BFG KO2, General Grabber ATX, and Continental TerrainContact tires.

Initially, I had the General Grabber ATX tires installed on my vehicle. The Grabber ATX are E-rated and weigh 58 lbs per tire. Here is a picture of the Grabber ATXs:
GrabberATX.png

I thought the Grabber ATXs looked great, but immediately I noticed a decrease in the feeling of quickness the vehicle had previously with the Hanooks. Not that a Land Cruiser is necessarily quick (depends who you ask and what they drive), but the feeling changed enough where it bothered me. At highway speeds the Grabber ATXs were quiet enough and didn't feel much different than the Hanooks, but off-the-line or when accelerating below maybe 40mph, the vehicle just didn't feel as quick. I read the forums and, although there is some debate about this, the increased weight of the tires seemed to be the cause of the loss of quickness.

I saw the Continental TerrainContact tires weighed 41 lbs per tire, just 2 lbs more than the Hanooks and 17 lbs less than the Grabber ATXs. While the TerrainContacts are not E-rated, they had enough of an off-road look for me and probably will be enough for my off-road usage. I decided to return the Grabber ATX tires and replace them with the TerrainContacts. Here is a picture of the TerrainContacts:
TerrainContact.png

After switching from the Grabber ATXs to the TerrainContacts, the feeling of quickness came back and was the same as the Hanooks.

Although I do miss the look of the Grabber ATXs, for my use, I'm more pleased right now with the balance of ride, feel, and look of the Continental TerrainContact tires.

Thanks for the post, your truck looks good. I am also considering P rated Continental TerrainContact ‘s in 275-65-18. What size did you install? Any other observations on performance, mpg, or looks of the Continentals?

The size of the TerrainContact tires I had installed was 275-65-18, P-rated (116T).
TireSize.png

I can't think of any other observations about performance. Regarding mpg, I didn't do any mpg testing between the Grabber ATX and TerrainContact tires. As far as looks go, I think most people would prefer the look of the Grabber ATX tire over the TerrainContact tire because the Grabber ATX tire looks more aggressive. That being said, the TerrainContact tire still has an off-road tire look - it doesn't look anything like a touring tire.

How's their grip on wet roads?
I’m not the OP and I don’t own this tire. But Consumer Reports testing has this tire as the best wet & dry braking of any AT tire they’ve tested. Tire Rack testing is also very strong for braking and handling in the wet.

Only on-road negatives I’ve read on the Continental is rolling resistance (impacts mpg) and it’s not as good as some on ice and snow.

I’ve not seen any reports on how the Continental does off road. It’s obviously a “mild” AT tire.

I drove my LC with TerrainContacts on a windy two-lane highway for a few hours this week. Conditions were wet and snowy. I was really pleased with the grip and handling of the tires.

The TerrainContacts I am using are a light-weight P-rated LT tire (they are not the E-rated version of the TerrainContacts). For me, they are a good compromise between a touring tire and a heavier E-rated LT tire.

There are probably better tires for specific functions (i.e. looks, heavy off-road, snow, mpg, etc). I want a bit of everything and feel these strike the right balance.

Excellent post, op. Love the comparison shots, and with good lighting too which is not easy (at least for me). Just saw that this thread existed. I spend most of my time in 200 series tech forum, so this was a nice find in Gear --> Tires forum.

Anyway, I have also had these these for a few months now. Really enjoying them. Very quiet, smooth, handle wet confidently, not much off road to report yet. Hoping to remote camp soon. MPG about the same or slightly better (275 now vs 285 orig).

And oem spacer lift went on about a month ago or so. FYI if it helps at all.

TLDR:
1585854183918.png

Thanks to others who have posted their experiences with tires - very helpful. Here is the 1 year update on my original post above. I've had the Continental TerrainContacts (P-rated version) on for about a year now and have driven them on and off road quite a bit in Idaho and Utah. I really like the tires. They are great on pavement in dry, wet, and snowy conditions. Off road I have taken them down pretty tough rocky roads at all speeds (including way too fast!) - they have done great. No problems at all to date. I would choose them again for my next set. Only suggestion to Continental would be if they could make the tire more off-road aggressive looking without increasing the weight.

Update - after 22 months with the Contintenal TerrainContacts (P-rated version) one of the tires "broke" while driving on a fairly benign dirt road and couldn't be repaired at the tire shop.

No flat tire is convenient, but this flat occured in the middle of nowhere and was my first flat with the vehicle - fortunately I was able to find the lug nut security adapter!

I was surprised the tire broke on the road I was on as I have driven on much much rouger roads previously with the tire. The tire shop said it was probably all of those much much rougher roads that weakened the tire over time.

I really did like the TerrainContacts. They did great on-road, were lightweight, and did great off-road for me until they broke.

However, given the type of off-road driving I do, I decided to replace them with a heavier duty E-rated tire just so I don't worry as much about getting stranded.

I am trying out the Toyo Open Country AT3s in the 275/70/R18 size and will create a separate thread soon with some pictures and impressions of that tire.

P-rated are not dirt rated, they will fail at some point off road...I run E tires only

Sorry to hear this. Where specifically was the failure on the fire? Sidewall? Object lodged in them somewhere? Do you have a photo of the tire?

Just curious as I work mine pretty hard - on higher speed rutted fire roads, mild AT condition mountain trails for remote camping, tow 3k lbs+ with them weekly, and my Ps have had no odd surprises.

Definitely keep me posted on the AT3s specifically vs these. I am on that fence for next set whenever that day comes.

Ignore - double post

I don't have a photo of the tire break unfortunately, but the shop said the break was caused by a rock impact to the tread portion of the tire. I will create a separate post about the Toyo Open Country AT3s vs these tires in the next few days.

I don't have a photo of the tire break unfortunately, but the shop said the break was caused by a rock impact to the tread portion of the tire. I will create a separate post about the Toyo Open Country AT3s vs these tires in the next few days.
Anything new to report? 😉

going from memory here, but I think I saw recently in the last Consumer Reports Annual feature that they had the Continental Terrain rated tops in (probably) the AT category.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom