Continental Divide Expedition Route Book (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know I don't post much overhere as I spend most of my time on Expedition Portal but I am a serious lurker and have learned a tone from this site...
So I thought I would reach out to pick some brains from the expedition minded folks around here...
Now that I have a couple of folks who want to join me on part or all of my Continental Divide Expedition this July I figured I better take my jumble of notes and put them together in the form of a Route Book so we could all LITERALY be on the same page.
Trip Overview, Daily Route Sheets, Notes on Attractions, Journal Section, Fuel/Food/Lodging Record. And a disk with all the GPS info.
Then it struck me that this could be something others would be interested in especially once I have completed the route and can make actual factual notes in it.
So my question to everyone is “ Would this be worth a donation to Disabled Explorers?” It would come with worksheets for Planning Budget, Food, Gear, Service & Modifications, disk with the GPS info and such.
Here are some pics of what I have started…
DSC_0071.sized.jpg

DSC_0072.sized.jpg

Please don’t pay attention to the Sponsor Logos yet…my wife suggested that I use this as a way to reach out to sponsors and help get the trip cost covered. So we played around with what that would look like. They might also get logos on the backpage and Tab sheets. Who knows?

Ok I am having trouble editting my post...
But I should have said this would be something to help folks make their own trip and not a "for sale" thing...that is why I mentioned donations..
I am not begging just wanting to see if there is interest in putting something together & if I should go to the extra effort.

You would certainly get a donation from me, I'm very interested.

thanks I will keep that in mind as I work on the books for myself and the other 2 rigs...might as well make them nice from the start.
I will finish the trip at the end of july, so sometime in august you should hear back about the route books again.

i'm very interested on how this turns out. an expedition route book / planning guide is a great idea. looking forward to your trip.

This is a trip I am planning on too. I was hoping this year, but it will be next.

Have you seen the Mountain Biking guide? Great info and most of their route is doable, very little single track.

This book would be for those wanting to travel the Continental Divide from Canada to Mexico...the idea would be that this is a planning and navigation tool along with a journal section for thought during the trip...
It won't be complete until after I finish my trip in July and can add the actual info I gather during the expedition. It would come with GPS data in a variety of formats along with a text file in case folks need to enter the data manually.
Thanks for all the encouragement and I will post updates as the Expedition approaches...

I know the Land Rover crowd did the Continental Divide, or Great Divide expedition a few years ago. However, I asked around at Solihull Society about a Great Divide or Continental Divide Route, as well as GPS coordinates to the trails involved and nobody knew anything, or supposedly didn't know.

I'd be interested in any information, GPS material etc. If you put a package together to sell, I'd be willing to ante up if it's a fair deal.

Count me in. After I watched this video ( Great Divide) it made me start planning to do the Colorado portion for this summer.

Keep me in the loop.

Thanks,

So any news on this? Or is this a post and run?

Not at all....I am very active on Expedition Portal and the trip isn't until July...
I did a shakedown run a couple of weekends ago that covered 551 miles fiiday at 3pm to sunday at 9am to get a feel for full day trail running.
It showed me I needed to rework the route/daily run time.
Also there is the work for research of what is on each days schedule.
you can also keep track of the progress/process on disabledexplorers.com
The route book won't be aval until aug so that I can make sure the info is correct
thanks for the interest

Any chance of getting the route that Land Rover did with Tom Collins???

What trails are you including in that shakedown?

Also, would be nice to have a text file viewable by both PC and MAC users with those GPS coordinates. I downloaded some files from Solihull Society on GPS coordinates and it was all stuff I couldn't use. Basically it was garmin files for pc to gps download - useless for me. I'd like to just see the numbers so I can manually enter them in and not a download type thing from computer to gps.

Last edited:
Any chance of getting the route that Land Rover did with Tom Collins???

What trails are you including in that shakedown?

Also, would be nice to have a text file viewable by both PC and MAC users with those GPS coordinates. I downloaded some files from Solihull Society on GPS coordinates and it was all stuff I couldn't use. Basically it was garmin files for pc to gps download - useless for me. I'd like to just see the numbers so I can manually enter them in and not a download type thing from computer to gps.

There are programs designed to translate between different formats. Some were mentioned in a thread in electronic toys.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/electronic...rting-gps-file-formats-tracks-routes-etc.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom