Console? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm lookin' to replace the worn out broken down console in my 62. Don't need anything fancy but want to drill as little as possible.

Where to look?

lots of folks swear by TUFFY.

might be able to pick up a used OME on cruiserparts.net too.

do a "search" and you might find some other ideas and opinions.

good luck.

A Few Years Ago, I Found One Fron Jt Outfitters That They Were Selling As
Damaged. It Was Scratched. Got It For 50 Bucks.
Check E-bay.

there was a cool thread last week about this...sorry not sure where it is now. maybe do a search. They had some people who used heep consoles (nice aftermarket) and were only around 80-100. as opposed to the tuffy which is spendy. I am looking myself, but probably get the tuffy eventually.

rob

sl33py said:
there was a cool thread last week about this...
That'd be this thread. The Heep console is about the fourth post.

I'm wondering how much use a Tuffy console is in a 60 vs. a 40 or other open-topped vehicle. I mean, when breaking in is a matter of unzipping the top or just stepping in the truck, theft-proof (well, theft-resistant anyway...) storage is a necessity. But if a thief's already going to break the window or slim-jim the lock, is a Tuffy really going to be much of a deterrent?

I'm genuinely curious about this issue. I'll be replacing the stock console this summer, so this isn't just idle speculation. :)

Alex

polarweasel said:
That'd be this thread. The Heep console is about the fourth post.

I'm wondering how much use a Tuffy console is in a 60 vs. a 40 or other open-topped vehicle. I mean, when breaking in is a matter of unzipping the top or just stepping in the truck, theft-proof (well, theft-resistant anyway...) storage is a necessity. But if a thief's already going to break the window or slim-jim the lock, is a Tuffy really going to be much of a deterrent?

I'm genuinely curious about this issue. I'll be replacing the stock console this summer, so this isn't just idle speculation. :)

Alex

yeah, just ask freightdog. he posted a picture of his tuffy on a thread. His Tuffy in his 60 was beat to hell by some kids, but they were not able to crack it open.

I am going to pull the CD player a PO put in, replace it with stock am/fm. Then when i get a tuffy i will put a nice stereo in and have it be out of sight. A good place for misc. stuff you wouldn't like stolen (like insurance/registration). It's bad enough to have some punk break a window, even worse to have them try to rip off your info for a scam. my .02

rob

Tuffy, bar none. Here's a thread detailing my install, with a couple other methods that some of the other guys have done for their consoles.

I agree with polarweasel on this one. If you can lock your solid doors, then why waste money on a console that will lock also? I would put the extra money into something more worthwhile, like axles or something.

The heep console almost looks too modern for the 60. I think that the original looks cool, although old. If I could find something possibly made out of steel, that would be the best. The steel would have to be powdercoated black, of course. That would go nicely with the retro-cool styling of the entire rig.

:beer:

What color OEM are you looking for? Mine is in good shape in just sitting in the garadge.
Cruiser Parts.net sells them for $150, you can have mine for $75.

Mine is Grey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom