Considering a Sequoia for a family rig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m currently looking for a new vehicle for my family of 5 and a dog. I considered getting another LC, but they’re too small.
I currently have a full-size truck, but it’s a bit too long for some of the spots we like to go to.
Typical usage will be for a weekend camp out with the family. And occasional roadtrip vehicle.
“Trails” will really just be forest service roads but they can get torn up pretty bad here with the rains and snow. Probably the most “technical” will be something like the White Rim. For harder trails, I’ll use my Jeep.

I’m trying to decide between a 1st and 2nd gen. Interior size is fine with either. The things I’m worried about has to do with the mechanical parts.

1st Gen:
8” rear is weak. I’d be concerned about issues.
LBJ needs to be addressed asap.
Having had 2 4.7L V8’s, I’m concerned about the headers cracking.

2nd gen:
IRS, which is NOT a concern for me. In fact, it may be a plus for the stuff I’ll be doing.
I’m assuming the rear end is much beefier than the 1st gen, as well as the other suspension components. I know the two 2nd gen Tundras in the family are like tanks. They just keep going.

With all those concerns stated, I still love the look of the 1st gen much more. And they can be had for cheaper. So my preference would be to go to a 1st gen. But with those issues, maybe the overall cost is a wash and I should really just get the 2nd gen.

Mods wise, I’ll keep it simple and do the following to whatever I get:
Small lift
33-35” tires
Full roof rack

Just thinking out loud here. Comments welcome.

My vote would be for the 2G.

It is an incredibly capable rig and after a lift, lockers, and skids I'd say it is as capable if not more so than all Toyota's except for the 80 series.

That being said, youre not looking for a wheeling rig and even then I'd still say the 2G is great. It is big but the turning radius is very close to the 5G 4Runner and the 200 series BUT the interior is absolutely massive. You can fit a 8x4 sheet of plywood flat with all the seats down and six adults VERY comfortably.

I would go for a platinum because the air suspension in the 2G Sequoia's is amazing. Especially if you plan to load it down with the family and all the gear and when you tow it auto-levels.

FB_IMG_1623966085938.jpg

When I got tired of having problems with our last two Suburbans (both bought new), I bought a 1st gen Sequoia for our (then) family of seven (five kids). It was a great car, much quieter and more comfortable than the suburbans, but with less luggage room in the back. Better mileage too. We were super happy with the Sequoia for as long as we had it. When the kids grew up, we gave it to our oldest son with his own growing family. He recently traded it to one of his brothers, our youngest son. It's got well over 300,000 miles on it and still drives good, no major problems whatsoever, just routine maintenance. I did put a new alternator in it for son #1 before he traded it to son #3. The best family car we ever had. We took it camping, but no real off road.

My vote would be for the 2G.

It is an incredibly capable rig and after a lift, lockers, and skids I'd say it is as capable if not more so than all Toyota's except for the 80 series.

That being said, youre not looking for a wheeling rig and even then I'd still say the 2G is great. It is big but the turning radius is very close to the 5G 4Runner and the 200 series BUT the interior is absolutely massive. You can fit a 8x4 sheet of plywood flat with all the seats down and six adults VERY comfortably.

I would go for a platinum because the air suspension in the 2G Sequoia's is amazing. Especially if you plan to load it down with the family and all the gear and when you tow it auto-levels.

View attachment 3453886

The Platinum is nice but I don’t want 2nd row captains (every one I’ve looked at has them). My wife has that in her vehicle. With 3 kids, I want to get rid of the 3rd row for max cargo capacity.

I have a Gen 1. .44 Mag is the prerequisite since I know you’ll ask. None of the “issues” you say they have, are issues in my world. Mine is lifted on 33s and is rock solid. LBJs and go. None of my 4.7s (I’ve had 3) have ever had any issues at all. If you prefer the looks and price of the 1st gens, I’d go that route. I just did another very long road trip in mine, towing 4,000 lbs at 11,000 feet with 5 on board and zero dramas.

I personally think 2nd gens are ugly, and IRS is not my thing.

I love the Gen1 as well, it checks all the right boxes and look great. If I could have found a good one, i'd be an owner. Being from the rust belt, they are, sadly, rusting into history like all the good trucks are up here. :confused:

I love our 1st gen. Wish it had a touch more gogo juice, but it's been a great rig. I did have to stuff new manifolds on it. That was an easy afternoon. OME lift and some tires and it goes everywhere we need it to go. The 80 Series is saved for the hard stuff. This winter I'm getting the 4.56s installed that I have sitting and tossing in a rear locker while I'm at it. Gen 3 Glock 23 here though

The Platinum is nice but I don’t want 2nd row captains (every one I’ve looked at has them). My wife has that in her vehicle. With 3 kids, I want to get rid of the 3rd row for max cargo capacity.
I have 3 kids with captain's chairs and have the rear with the small 1/3 seat up for the third child and the larger 2/3 section down for cargo. It works really well for me--I'm glad I got the generation before they went to whatever the new one is - the packaging sucks, it's eyewateringly expensive, and it has a much more complex motor and transmission...planning on passing this onto the 6 year old when he is of age.

G20 Gen 4 here, but I had an itch last month and almost picked up a Sig Emperor 45acp. Couldn’t quite “pull the trigger,” as I really want a Colt 1911.

I vote for the 2nd gen. I wish I had got it sooner. Similar story - Family of 4 plus large dog and the all the gear that residents of my household want to drag around on a road trip. Of course, I want it to be a reliable overlander. I have seen “4x4” SUVs that have some 4wd capability but either the owners don’t know how or the vehicles are too delicate to actually tackle some overlanding and mild off-roading.

2nd gen Sequoia checked all the boxes for me. 34” (275/65R20) fit on stock suspension. Just had to hammer/bend the front skid plate at the corners. You can go crazy and build it to your heart’s content with lockers, bumpers and the works. And, you can add gobs of power with a supercharger (unlike the 2uzfe).

I planning to add a front bumper with winch, sliders and a supercharger. Going to keep rest of it stock.

The only bad - I think it’s one of the ugliest trucks if not the ugliest one out there 😂 But I am all about function over form.

I'm considering a new sequoia too and figured we didn't need another seperate thread on it. What does a LC200 or the LX570 have over the 2nd gen? I found a 2015 platinum sequoia with 105k rust free for about $25k, a simlar 2015 lx570 would be close to 40k. What does the extra 15k get me? I've never driven a lx200 or lx570 only sat in them and I definitely like the room better in the sequoia.

And if you really wanted a mint 1st gen somebody found one.

I'm considering a new sequoia too and figured we didn't need another seperate thread on it. What does a LC200 or the LX570 have over the 2nd gen? I found a 2015 platinum sequoia with 105k rust free for about $25k, a simlar 2015 lx570 would be close to 40k. What does the extra 15k get me? I've never driven a lx200 or lx570 only sat in them and I definitely like the room better in the sequoia.

And if you really wanted a mint 1st gen somebody found one.

The LX570 is obviously smaller and consequently more maneuverable but I find the Sequoia’s light steering much nicer.

Sequoia is part time 4wd vs full time on the LC200.

LC200 has a solid axle in the rear, the Sequoia is independent suspension all around.

And, I bet the LC200 has wider aftermarket off-road parts support.

Anecdotally, since the Sequoia is built on the Tundra platform, I am under the impression that drivetrain is beefier than the LC200 - this is probably unlike other generations of Land Cruisers that shared drivetrain parts with the Tundra and were the beefiest in the family. There’s a forum thread somewhere comparing the Sequoia diff parts to a F250.

My son just bought this 2008. The second gen are so much more truck, have owned both with lifts. You don’t pull the third row on a second gen it just folds flat with push of a button. That’s what you get for IRS.

I doubt you’d break drivetrain parts on a first gen, but the diffs and CV axles on the second gen are 1 ton.

The 1st gen look better stock, modified is another story.

IMG_8262.jpeg

IMG_8269.jpeg

IMG_8266.jpeg

Here’s a built 2012 on 37s for sale in Colorado.

IMG_8487.jpeg

Quick question: I’m looking at a few 2nd gen’s.
One is a 2008, another 2012 and a 2015.

Of course, the 2008 is cheaper (~$10.9k with 169k miles). The 2012 and 2015 are $17-19k, both with around 130k miles.

Other than the difference in mileage, any reason to go with the newer models? If not, I’d rather get the 2008 and put the money towards mods (lift, wheels, rack).
I know there were issues with the secondary air pump. A friend bought a 2008 Tundra when they first came out and got the pump done under warranty. So I’m not sure if that’s an issue or not. Thanks.

Quick question: I’m looking at a few 2nd gen’s.
One is a 2008, another 2012 and a 2015.

Of course, the 2008 is cheaper (~$10.9k with 169k miles). The 2012 and 2015 are $17-19k, both with around 130k miles.

Other than the difference in mileage, any reason to go with the newer models? If not, I’d rather get the 2008 and put the money towards mods (lift, wheels, rack).
I know there were issues with the secondary air pump. A friend bought a 2008 Tundra when they first came out and got the pump done under warranty. So I’m not sure if that’s an issue or not. Thanks.
Personally, I would go with the 08 and take a gamble on the SAP, my 07 5.7 tundra SAP hasn't failed yet, but if it does there's a credible bypass kit.
The main deal maker for me is proven service history.
The other thing is exhaust manifold leaks and some oil leaks, somebody else can share more about those as my knowledge is limited... none of these issues has happened on my 07 tundra.

Edit, frame check for rust, really important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom