Condensation in Headlight Unit (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any advice on a fix for condensation in the headlight unit.

Mine is on its 3 year 36000mile warranty until Dec 5th 2023, however reluctant to have the dealer work on it on an otherwise zero problem vehicle. Also realize I installed myself 3M protection film on the headlights for scratch protection and longevity (looking at keeping the cruiser for 20years +) and used a hair dryer in the process. May have affected the seal between the lens and the housing. So much for installing the film, sigh...

Passenger side is fine

1684811027590.png

Driver side not under certain conditions

1684811103032.png

I may have to do a repair job as stipulated in this video...

I would absolutely have them put new lamps on it even if it meant them pulling the bumper. These are way too expensive to deal with this failure on your dime.

I also don't believe a hair dryer would compromise the urethane seal. Even fresh out of an oven, it takes a fair amount of pressure to get the cover off the housing.. if it all remained in place I can't see how the urethane seal wouldn't survive

The side marker light is an incandescent bulb inserted through the housing from the engine bay side. Might as well check whether that is tight, though I can't see how it wouldn't be on such a new vehicle.

A hair drier used to form the plastic for headlight protection should not be able to damage OEM lens sealing. If you heat it so much to damage the seal your protection sheet will get deformed and loses clear transparency. I did this kind of job many times. If those would be aftermarket lenses then yes you could have damaged the seal.

If it is under warranty do not mess up with it no matter what caused the issue! You will lose the warranty for the lamp. As @bloc said go to the dealer to get you a new lamp. Use that warranty before it runs out!

Good to know guys. I was obviously doubting myself. Going Friday to Toyota Joe Myers in Houston where I bought the cruiser new in Dec 2020 and have the oil changed at 25k miles (done it at 5k intervals to date). I will try to raise as a warranty issue and see what they say.

A bit worried these dealer m@nkeys will damage something else in the process however agree it would be nice to have this resolved. Wish me luck...

Pulling a bumper skin is pretty low on the difficulty level, and more importantly something they do all the time. Just check the rig when you get it back for all of the screws in the fender liner, grille snapped in all the way, rubber seal at the base of the hood edge seated and overlapping as it should.. fine tooth comb. Check fog light operation, check front camera, etc.

Anything else like the parking sensors or headlight sprayers will have obvious faults on the dash or leaks.

I'd much rather them do this than check my cabin filter.

Yes, all the clips they have to disconnect including the cables for radar, camera, parking sensors, fog lights and hoses for the lamp washing system. Oh my... :rolleyes:

On all previous oil changes I have asked them not to check the cabin filter and I lock my glovebox and keep the key, worked so far.

This may be something they actually will take care of under the otherwise useless warranty.

Update - Was at Joe Myers yesterday for oil change. Initially the service advisor said "we will need to reproduce with spraying water on it etc. so you will need to come back and leave the car with us". Was not to keen to do that as my wife and I use often/daily, nor do I like leaving cars with dealers for multi days. Long story short, upon departure the headlight unit showed condensation, so I walked back in. The advisor together with the service manager had a look and made the right decision on the spot -order a new headlight unit and come back in once available. All in all a good first step after a little back and forth. Should be since I am within 3 years and 36000 miles.

Dawns on me the driver side headlight unit showed this from early on in the owner ship (early 2021), however the other day after washing the front from bugs it showed up really bad. Therefore looks like an infant mortality type issue which realistically the 3 years and 36k miles is meant for.

Will keep you all posted how they do the repair and how it holds up long term. Assume little further learnings, let's see. Fingers crossed they put it together right.

Per bloc, upon departure from the dealer I will do a quick check that all clips and bolts are back in place, parking sensors works, radar cruise, headlight washers and fog lights. Should be all good, trust but verify....

Update - Yesterday I had time to bring the cruiser to the dealer (Joe Myers Toyota in Houston) and they replaced the driver headlight unit in about 4 hours (left it there and got a call about 4 hours later). All seems well and properly put together. At home checked all screws, clips and items are in place by looking under the bumper and by removing the cover over the radiator. Looks like they did a good job.

Have not checked the headlight leveling yet (did not take it out at night yet) or the headlight washer system. Assume it will be fine.

Update - Yesterday I had time to bring the cruiser to the dealer (Joe Myers Toyota in Houston) and they replaced the driver headlight unit in about 4 hours (left it there and got a call about 4 hours later). All seems well and properly put together. At home checked all screws, clips and items are in place by looking under the bumper and by removing the cover over the radiator. Looks like they did a good job.

Have not checked the headlight leveling yet (did not take it out at night yet) or the headlight washer system. Assume it will be fine.
Recirc flap still working?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom