Con-Ferr (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have numerous ads for the Con-Ferr business in L.A. I got to thinking about the V8 conversions in the 60's/70's for the FJ40's that Con-Ferr sold. Were there any identifying tags, stampings etc that would indicate the conversion was done by them?

@Downey maybe would know as he was in that region and is the right generation.

This is a great read!
A3C1C54B-F132-41A7-A2DA-E7D73437649E.jpeg
824B8913-484B-4B6A-B8DB-D4BB4620E10F.jpeg

One hint would be the front motor mounts, know body else made them like the ones pictured above. Another give away is the motor mounting off of the bellhousing, Con Ferr never used the rear transfer-case mount. Another give away, Con Fear used an aluminum adapter plate that a stock Chevy throw out bearing retainer bolted to, the rest of us used a modified Toyota throw out bearing retainer.

Thank you lads. I am reading with interest as I have not read any articles on how to I.D a Con-Ferr build. I would be curious on how many they built. I still have a lot to learn (came from old Broncos). I'll get that issue of Hot Rod to help in my education. My curiosity was peeked when I see 40's for sale with Chevrolet engines.

Pete Condos (owned Con Ferr) had a Toyota franchise to sell Landcruisers only, no other models, BUT Toyota didn't know was going to put Chevy engines into brand new Landcruisers, and sell them with a Toyota warranty. Yep, there were some legal problems between Pete and Toyota, which eventually ended the franchise after only a couple years. I don't know the real number, but my guess is Pete sold many stock Landcruisers, and probably less than 50 of them were actually Chevotas.

Pete Condos (owned Con Ferr) had a Toyota franchise to sell Landcruisers only, no other models, BUT Toyota didn't know was going to put Chevy engines into brand new Landcruisers, and sell them with a Toyota warranty. Yep, there were some legal problems between Pete and Toyota, which eventually ended the franchise after only a couple years. I don't know the real number, but my guess is Pete sold many stock Landcruisers, and probably less than 50 of them were actually Chevotas.

From a viewpoint looking back, how could anyone in their right mind take a brand new FJ40 and do this swap . I certainly understand the 1960s was an aftermarket showplace. I also understand Toyota rejecting a warranty if someone does this. Even now companies will not honor warranty if people put different motor curve chips etc..

Back in the 1960's 1970's, and 1980's, when there was an endless supply of FJ40's, there were no FJ40 purist, everyone wanted to upgrade the heck out of their rigs. Today there are multi million dollar corporations making their living selling aftermarket equipment.

It always amazes me when reviewing all the messed up things people did to vehicles. As an example of hideous rides, Bucket T roadsters. I look at them now and think "what the what"? And yet there are still oldsters living in the bizarre world of that Bucket T roadster. Go figure.
The fifties thru the seventies were the decades of automobile mutilation. I thank the gawds the prior owner of my FJ40 chose the right path, the stock path.

I agree. I was to young in the 1960s to afford anything. I did observe older people hack up perfectly good cars. I remember a neighbor kid who took a perfectly stock , new, 340 Duster and hack the rear quarters to fit big tires and swapped the engine to a bigger one. It was a travesty.

The 60's and 70's were the era of 4 barrel carburetors, glass pack mufflers, chrome slotted wheels, and air shocks.

The fifties thru the seventies were the decades of automobile mutilation.

I think about how many cars were/are destroyed in TV and movies, Dukes of Hazard and Christine both come to mind

He was not the writer, he was the photographer and is responsible for most of the 60’s hot rod photo collection that is so cherished by hot rodders! I was a hot rod guy well before cruisers. I helped a friend in high school put a sbc in his 40, and that’s when my cruiser addiction started to take hold!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom