Coms (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just make sure your licensed before you go jumping on the repeaters, the local Hams will rip you a new one if you’re not .

OK thanks that's good info @ceby

Thanks Robb good info.

Last week helped a new local ham with an HF dipole i had laying around from a storm. Used the drone to drop tag line in trees, and raised the antenna in 15min. Not using the tennis ball gun anymore. Now i have some incentive to get back on HF, and finish all my antenna projects.

Damn you Ford!

9F3EED65-8F29-4C68-899D-E688087B0204.jpeg

LOL, AL-YOOO-MEEE-NEEE-UUUMMM?
og.png

It was only a matter of time

If we avoid the forbidden channels does it matter?

If we avoid the forbidden channels does it matter?
I don't think it is about the licensed users so much as unlicensed use of more powerful radios on those frequencies. Or maybe it is just about government flexing muscle.

Screenshot_20181006-162224_Instagram.jpg
20181006_161629.jpg

View from my seat till weather cam in

I joined the Grand Strand Amateur Radio Club and got my little hand held hitting the repeaters with a few of those guys help! I had some time play with it during Florence and wanted to learn in case of emergency, but I wasn't able to get the repeater. I finally got the right settings programmed and was able to talk to someone in Rock Hill and Beaufort. They're having Beachfest/ Hamfest just a few miles from my house on Oct. 27 so I'm gonna try to find a cheap used base station and antenna for my shop. I was thinking about just getting a higher quality hand held and power supply and swap them back and forth between the trucks and shop, but I'll probably just get a used HT that is FCC part 90 compliant to use in the truck for the trails and a dedicated little base. Anyone have any suggestions on what kind of antenna setup, or used HT or base to look for? I will probably stay with just the Technician license for a while and tune into 144/440. I need something simple and easy to operate and not too expensive! I don't have an HOA so I can put up an antenna on a pole on by my metal building/ Ham shack / man shed.

Thanks!

I passed my technician test back on 10/6 but to this day, I still haven't obtained my call sign...FCC.gov has no record of it - grr! I've reached out to the proctors who were there during the exam to see what happened. Still haven't gotten anything from them. Once that gets resolved though, I do have a Baofeng BF-H8HP which I've been monitoring for over a month. Can usually pick up Ceasar's Head with my longer Nagoya antenna.

Hated to miss the Annual Meeting today, but it was for a good cause. @Greenbean and I went over to Gastonia and took our Technician Class exam. Proud to say we both passed. Chatting it up on the way back home brought up a good question. What would be the ideal starter mobile rig for the truck? Would a handheld be ok (Say a Baofang UV5R with a better antenna) or would you be better off with a truck mounted mobile rig (Icom 5100 looks like a good one)? Would love to know everyone's opinions. Thanks.

Thanks again for driving us down man!

Looking forward to a good recommendation and making a purchase soon!

Hated to miss the Annual Meeting today, but it was for a good cause. @Greenbean and I went over to Gastonia and took our Technician Class exam. Proud to say we both passed. Chatting it up on the way back home brought up a good question. What would be the ideal starter mobile rig for the truck? Would a handheld be ok (Say a Baofang UV5R with a better antenna) or would you be better off with a truck mounted mobile rig (Icom 5100 looks like a good one)? Would love to know everyone's opinions. Thanks.
The frequencies that you are able to use with the Technician License are all we really use on the trails. The BaoFeng UV-5R, or similar handheld radio, is what most folks run. It's loud enough in an FZJ80 and the batteries last a really long time. You could buy the Nagoya magnetic antenna if you want to boost your range, but I've tried it, and I recommend saving your money. For my FJ40, since the truck is really loud and I had a convenient place to mount it, I went with a BTech Mini 25W and it's got plenty of range.

I had much better success with the external antenna. The 5r with Nagoya mag mount on the roof and a handheld mike has worked really well.

I did just decide to upgrade to an Icom mobile but haven't installed it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom