Complete table of 200 series traction control options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, aren't you the lucky dogšŸ©???

I have for your viewing and motoring pleasure:steer: a table of all the various settings. A whopping total of 10 options! It will be up to you to decide how and when to use these options - the debates can get, shall we say "interesting.":bang::slap:

As Sargent Joe Friday (Dragnet) might have said, "just the facts ma'am" Be nice with comments, it is the holiday season, after all.šŸŽ…

4 High Options

Button(s) depressedNotes
Default Mode no Selections made when starting in 4 High, (TRAC ON by default), TORSEN activeTORSEN center differential in use, plus traction control (TRAC)
Center Differential locked (Differential Lock button depressed), (TRAC ON by default)TORSEN center differential behaves like a traditional transfer case, Like old school 4 High with traction control (TRAC)
Center Differential locked (Differential Lock button depressed), TRAC OFF (TRAC button is depressed)TORSEN center differential behaves like a traditional transfer case, Like old school 4 High without traction control
TRAC OFF (TRAC button is depressed), TORSEN activeTORSEN center differential in use, but no traction control, theoretically like old school 4 High, but with differing proportions of power to the F/R axles

4 Low Options

Button(s) depressedNotes
Multi-Terrain Select, TORSEN active (default when switching to 4 Low)Aggressive traction control (w/various terrain settings) TORSEN center differential in use
Multi-Terrain Select, Center Differential locked (Differential Lock button depressed)Aggressive traction control (w/various terrain settings) TORSEN not in use and behaves like a traditional transfer case.
Crawl Control, TORSEN active (i.e., not locked)Aggressive traction control (w/various speed settings) TORSEN Center differential in use. Speed is controlled by crawl control setting and not by manual foot control. Note: This is the only mode where turn assist can be used.
Crawl Control, Center Differential Locked (Differential Lock button depressed)Aggressive traction control (w/various speed settings) TORSEN not in use and behaves like a traditional transfer case. Speed is controlled by crawl control setting and not by manual foot control
TRAC OFF (TRAC button is depressed), Center Differential locked (Differential Lock button depressed)Old school 4 Low, TORSEN not in use and behaves like a traditional transfer case. No F/R axle traction control enhancements
TRAC OFF (TRAC button is depressed), TORSEN activeTORSEN center differential in use, but no traction control, theoretically like old school 4 low, but with the potential of differing proportions of power to the F/R axles. No F/R axle traction control enhancements

I may just be an idiot, but it took me a long time to figure out all the options and more importantly when to use them. This is a great reference.

Just a couple of comments related to my 2013 LC, other years may have different options. There are 2 options with the one button, Trac Off and VSC Off. One quick push is Trac off and push and hold for 3 sec is Trac & VSC off which is even more options for your table. Also, in 4Low, Trac Off is automatic, not an option to have on or off on my 2013, so for mine, only options in 4Low are Center Diff Lock or Crawl.
Edit for snapshot from the manual
1671741342092.png

Last edited:
No idea if this makes sense, but this is how I think about it:

1671746600224.png

Last edited:
Just a couple of comments related to my 2013 LC, other years may have different options. There are 2 options with the one button, Trac Off and VSC Off. One quick push is Trac off and push and hold for 3 sec is Trac & VSC off which is even more options for your table. Also, in 4Low, Trac Off is automatic, not an option to have on or off on my 2013, so for mine, only options in 4Low are Center Diff Lock or Crawl.
Thanks, it appears that things evolved over a few years. Mine is a '19 and I think is the same as a few years prior and good for the last years of 200's.
And, I don't consider VSC as a traction "feature" and, RSCA isn't switchable on mine (my '13 Taco does have a button for that)

Last edited:
Definitely must be differences by year.

VSC might be called TRAC, not sure. It is the icon of a car with the two squiggly lines, if you have that button. If you don't turn it off, it will be a huge hassle offroad, trying to brake when you want to keep momentum, etc.

index.44.jpg

Mine is in the center console by the shifter on the '16.

RSCA (roll sensing curtain airbags?) is a switch to turn off side curtain airbags, so they don't go off. There has been an issue with them going off on people on a hard hit or going too far off camber (?).

RSCA Off in below pic found online:

images

Last edited:
Definitely must be differences by year.

VSC might be called TRAC, not sure. It is the icon of a car with the two squiggly lines, if you have that button. If you don't turn it off, it will be a huge hassle offroad, trying to brake when you want to keep momentum, etc.

index.44.jpg

Mine is in the center console by the shifter on the '16.

RSCA (roll sensing curtain airbags?) is a switch to turn off side curtain airbags, so they don't go off. There has been an issue with them going off on people on a hard hit or going:meh: too far off camber (?).

RSCA Off in below pic found online:

images
Ha! the wife just pulled in the garage with the "beast." I checked, no RSCA button. My gut tells me they dropped it in '17???

This thread suggests that the RSCA was dropped in '18.

Yesterday I went out in the neighborhood snow to "exercise" 4L so as to hopefully avoid the sticky 4L actuator problem. Played around with MTS and Crawl Control so that I stay familiar with how they work and change traction. I'm still not used to keeping my foot off the gas and brake with Crawl Control...

Yesterday I went out in the neighborhood snow to "exercise" 4L so as to hopefully avoid the sticky 4L actuator problem. Played around with MTS and Crawl Control so that I stay familiar with how they work and change traction. I'm still not used to keeping my foot off the gas and brake with Crawl Control...
I hear ya about Crawl Control! I wanna do more than steer :slap: :steer:

But, as the Ronco commercials used to say "it really really works!"

VSC, TRAC (or ATRAC), MTS, and crawl are a bit confusing. To me, all of these are essentially the same thing but they are tuned and triggered differently. What I mean by they are the same thing is that each of them use the cars computer to activate ABS at each wheel independently and make throttle adjustments. What's different is when and how aggressively the computer intervention is made.

VSC is really for high speed situations when the vehicle looses traction and starts to fish tail or swerve. As you say, you don't want this on when you are 4 wheeling through mud or sand when you need to maintain momentum. What I don't know is if VCS uses anything other than wheel and transfer shaft speeds to know if the vehicle is swerving or about to.

ATRAC is different from VSC but I don't really understand what the difference is. In 4Hi you can shut off VSC but ATRAC is still on unless you hold the VSC button for 3 seconds to shut all of the computer traction control off.

MTS is the same as ATRAC except you can "select' the amount of slip (rock mode is low slip and mud/sand is high slip). Maybe ATRAC in 4Hi is just a bit tighter than rock mode??

Crawl is MTS on steroids. Its "super rock" mode (doesn't allow much slip) with 100% throttle control by the computer.

Here is a pretty good video on all of this:

I didn't know about the 3 second thing until I saw this video.

This thread suggests that the RSCA was dropped in '18.

correct, I don't have it in my 2018.

I have a rear side curtain airbag (RSCA) off switch in my 2009 LX. It doesnā€™t seem to do anything in 4H, I assume itā€™ll light a light and disable them in 4L.

I have a rear side curtain airbag (RSCA) off switch in my 2009 LX. It doesnā€™t seem to do anything in 4H, I assume itā€™ll light a light and disable them in 4L.
You have to hold the button down for 3+ seconds before it does anything. My 2016 LC has the RSCA OFF button, and it works in 4HI or 4LO but only if you hold it down for 3 seconds. Then a light on the dash comes on to confirm air bags are off.

You have to hold the button down for 3+ seconds before it does anything. My 2016 LC has the RSCA OFF button, and it works in 4HI or 4LO but only if you hold it down for 3 seconds. Then a light on the dash comes on to confirm air bags are off.
Same in my '13 OR Taco:cool:

VSC, TRAC (or ATRAC), MTS, and crawl are a bit confusing. To me, all of these are essentially the same thing but they are tuned and triggered differently. What I mean by they are the same thing is that each of them use the cars computer to activate ABS at each wheel independently and make throttle adjustments. What's different is when and how aggressively the computer intervention is made.

VSC is really for high speed situations when the vehicle looses traction and starts to fish tail or swerve. As you say, you don't want this on when you are 4 wheeling through mud or sand when you need to maintain momentum. What I don't know is if VCS uses anything other than wheel and transfer shaft speeds to know if the vehicle is swerving or about to.

ATRAC is different from VSC but I don't really understand what the difference is. In 4Hi you can shut off VSC but ATRAC is still on unless you hold the VSC button for 3 seconds to shut all of the computer traction control off.

MTS is the same as ATRAC except you can "select' the amount of slip (rock mode is low slip and mud/sand is high slip). Maybe ATRAC in 4Hi is just a bit tighter than rock mode??

Crawl is MTS on steroids. Its "super rock" mode (doesn't allow much slip) with 100% throttle control by the computer.

Here is a pretty good video on all of this:

I didn't know about the 3 second thing until I saw this video.

Thanks for posting this video, I really benefit from ā€œexplain like Iā€™m 5ā€.

Basic/dumb question: do all USDM 200s have a torsen center diff?

I like being in 4lo, trac off, center diff lock on, and my rear locker on for questionable crawling

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom