Compact powered subwoofer under the passenger seat, or in the rear subwoofer space? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you extend the speaker wire from the head unit to the speaker wires under the seat or did you run new wires to all the doors?

I did the former, and I think that's what most people opt for. There are adapter harnesses available to make this relatively straightforward.

You inspired me to move my Subwoofer from my old ride to my new Land Cruiser 100.

Kenwood ksc-psw8, plenty of good clean bass, not even a contest from the stock "subwoofer".

I will run some tiny screws in there just to keep it set, not like it is going to go flying out from under the passenger seat. I went with the orientation the other direction as it lets me pull it out some if I need to and it just seemed easier to stuff the cables under the carpet in the cubby hole there. where the amp was.

IMG_20220508_203652.jpg

You inspired me to move my Subwoofer from my old ride to my new Land Cruiser 100.

Kenwood ksc-psw8, plenty of good clean bass, not even a contest from the stock "subwoofer".

I will run some tiny screws in there just to keep it set, not like it is going to go flying out from under the passenger seat. I went with the orientation the other direction as it lets me pull it out some if I need to and it just seemed easier to stuff the cables under the carpet in the cubby hole there. where the amp was.

View attachment 3003952

Atta boy, well done! For what they are, it sounds great. Gone are my days of two 12" subs in a ported box. I just like clean and simple looks :) Glad to hear you installed yours.

A JBL Fuse Subwoofer split into 2 pieces might go under the seats too.
I've actually been thinking about going this route for the mounting flexibility. The specs for the system seem good for the application. Opinion on my plan? I'm not a stereo expert but understand the basics and conceptually this seems like a good plan?

I have a GX470, non-Navi, and the fronts are blown so that's led me to go ahead and update the whole system to the 21st century but here is the plan and a couple of options as of now. I've purchased a new head unit Sony XAV-AX8100 4/3/2 Ch Pioneer amp Pioneer GM-DX874, 3-way components for the front, and 2way coaxials in the rear doors. Waiting for the appointment in a few weeks for the installation. Still trying to narrow down how I'm approaching the subwoofer.

I'm not looking for window raddling bass. Just something that compliments the mids/highs and rounds the sound out close to new.

1. I'm either going to run the amp in a 4 ch 100x4 setup for the door speakers and buy a powered sub unit to mount under a front seat. This option allows me to get the new door speakers in and hear/experience how well the midbass sound performs running off pretty decent power before investing in a sub. My guess is a 150watt-ish powered sub will suffice if going this route

2. Bridge the Amp into a 3ch setup, run the front 3-way components with very good power (200watts per) and bridge the 3/4ch for the sub that should make 150-200watts. This would have the new coaxials in the rear doors run off the new head unit but I think that's fine since it's only me in the vehicle and I want a good front-heavy sound stage. This also allows the components to get the ideal power that they deserve.

If I run option 2, this is where the JBL Fuse becomes attractive to me. I really don't want any speaker or stereo component to be visible and look as factory as possible. The amp is pretty compact so I think it may be able to fit under the driver's seat where the original amp sits and possibly still have room for one of the Fuse speakers and then the other goes under the passenger seat. If this doesn't work, then put both under the passenger seat. IF this still doesn't work, I thought about keeping them split and mounting them on the bottom side of the 3rd-row seats or the tailgate inset where the net is. I have no intention to use the tailgate as a shelf so this is an intriguing concept since there are Jeep Wrangler setups like this. When split, it appears that the Fuse have a very low profile so they would not protrude into the cargo area from the tailgate when mounted and the tailgate is closed.

Thoughts on locations if I go with the JBL Fuse?

Over the weekend, I finally attempted an install of the Kicker 46HS10 and it turned out great! Thanks so much to the others in this thread for showing the way.

More details:

I had previously done the pre-03 nav delete and I was left with a JBL amp under the passenger seat which powered the door speakers and the sub in the back in the stock location. Once I realized the Sony head unit could drive the door speakers directly, I went ahead with the under-seat subwoofer.

I had to add new speaker wires from the head unit to this area to replace the RCA connections as discussed earlier in the thread. I spliced those new wires to the existing wires which go out to the doors (pink, purple, etc), and also spliced in the connections to the Kicker. I even used Wago connectors for a few connections (doh).

I left the stock location rear sub disconnected. I never found it that useful anyway.

I added some generic dynamat to the floor and threw it in. The sub is held down only by some velcro that I placed on the floor.

The end result looks ok and sounds so much better. After the nav delete and sub connections, there is a horrible rats nest under the carpet, but I tried to at least label everything.

IMG_7881.jpg

Figure I'll just keep adding to this thread to help others. I ended up fitting the Kicker HS10 under the passenger seat. Fits perfect... AND absolutely sounds incredible.

I'm blown away in comparison to my old Sound Ordinance underseat 8" sub. Granted this kicker is a 10" w/ 180 watts RMS, just sounds incredible. Anyone looking for a simple option with space savings., this is the way to go. Keep in mind., you must remove the factory amp under the seat.

View attachment 3000755

View attachment 3000756
Sorry for reviving old thread, but how would you say the Kicker compares in size to the Sound Ordinance? I would like to try that HS10 under the driver seat of my 80 series. Thanks.

Sorry for reviving old thread, but how would you say the Kicker compares in size to the Sound Ordinance? I would like to try that HS10 under the driver seat of my 80 series. Thanks.
The sound ordinance was great.. but the kicker did hit harder. I'll probably go back to the kicker again in my 200 series. Go for it!

The sound ordinance was great.. but the kicker did hit harder. I'll probably go back to the kicker again in my 200 series. Go for it!
I think you missed the question I was asking. Since you fitted the Sound Ordinance under the seat in your 80-series and now have the HS10, how would you compare the two in size? I have an 80-series and would like to put the HS10 under the driver seat. Maybe you can give me an idea of how the HS10 might fit under the drive seat in my 80-series.

I think you missed the question I was asking. Since you fitted the Sound Ordinance under the seat in your 80-series and now have the HS10, how would you compare the two in size? I have an 80-series and would like to put the HS10 under the driver seat. Maybe you can give me an idea of how the HS10 might fit under the drive seat in my 80-series.
lol.. sorry man. I can't recall the size difference between the 80 and 100 series. I can't recall what I ate yesterday for dinner. Grab the sizing off of crutchfield and that should help you. The only reason I did the Sound Ordinance then vs a kicker was because of cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom