Common rust areas for dealer pictures? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After 8 great years with my lx470 the wife wants me to replace it so im doing the logical thing and looking at lx570s. Besides from a transmission failure everything else on my 470 has been replaced due to rust since I'm in the north east.

For the next one I want to start with a fresh zero rust platform which means a long distance purchase. Knowing dealers rarely post under carriage pictures I will need to request them and be specific.

Are there any specific and easy to access areas I should request?

Judging from my 470 experience I was thinking of asking them to drop the spare and take it of the AHC area. Any other areas that tend to be early offenders?

Just pics of the shields and some wheel well shots will tell alot.

There is a single AHC line that seems to fail from corrosion but that never seems to happen on otherwise clean vehicles. I wouldn’t bother having them drop the spare if the rest of it is clean.

As long as they put it in high and get some decently lit pictures of the front suspension, frame rails, rear axle, and exhaust, those images usually give people here plenty to work with for purchase advice.

From the quality of photos I’ve seen on here, I suggest asking they light things well, make sure the focus is good, and take both overview and close up photos. With that, and the suggestions above, you’ll have what you need.

Frame rail photos tend to show the general condition of AHC hardware, which would be my primary concern. Also beware coatings. I know a few dealers here in the Denver area that ship rusty trucks from the midwest, give them a black chassis coating and sell them here where they tend to fetch more money.

I'm in the northeast as well and have purchased both of my cruisers from out of state. I've noticed that if hardware in the engine compartment is clean and rust free, it's worth looking into. If the small clamps and heads of screws and bolts are rusty, stop there and move on. While the rest may be decent, it won't be "off the showroom floor" rust free. And if I'm traveling out of state, I'm going to be picky when it comes to rust.

I've noticed that if hardware in the engine compartment is clean and rust free, it's worth looking into. If the small clamps and heads of screws and bolts are rusty, stop there and move on.

Over the years of buying so many cars I’ve thought the same thing on occasion, but never thought to make it a strategy. And that’s a good one. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom