Coming up with a bumper idea is hard.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My two ¢
Thin up, taper, and shorten the ends. The center portion looks good to me...

Here is my take on your design.

40 Bumper Design.PNG

40 Bumper Design Front.PNG

40 Bumper Design Top.PNG

Fleshed out a little.

40 Bumper Design ISO.PNG

40 Bumper Design ISO 2.PNG

40 Bumper Design Left.PNG

40 Bumper Design Front 1.PNG

40 Bumper Design Top 1.PNG

Well dang dude, you're pretty well reading my mind.
If I may ask for some tweaks, start the angled bottom face further in. I was thinking at the first joint.
You've got more rise in that spot than I was thinking, but I think you're correct.

I actually really like that

The front angle bits?

What I think you are asking is for me to make them get trimmed at the first bend, correct?

Well dang dude, you're pretty well reading my mind.
If I may ask for some tweaks, start the angled bottom face further in. I was thinking at the first joint.
You've got more rise in that spot than I was thinking, but I think you're correct.

I actually really like that

Kinda like this?

Front.PNG

ISO.PNG

Here is the file if anyone wants to download it.

I made mine out of 6” x 2 5/16 x 5/16 channel iron. It fit over the frame ends and I made a bunch of aluminum angled shims for mounting due to the inside of angle iron. I cut and welded the ends with a nice sweep back. Ended up shortening my original design twice making the fender shorter and shorter from trail experience. If your interested I can take some close up pics, just let me know. I couldn’t find a fender I liked and this one accommodates my winch, pair of shackles, and also my tow bar for flat towing. A little heavy but it’s super heavy duty, ain’t bending this one. Was thinking of making some up for sale if enough people are interested, but have retired since.

Last edited:
Kinda like this?

View attachment 2668510

View attachment 2668511

Here is the file if anyone wants to download it.

Nice work!

Onshape is free. Myself and the other cnc operator were discussing software options, and that came up, just the other day.

I enjoy knowing how to do stuff. Not a big fan of the struggle of becoming proficient at anything. I really have a rough time with shapes like this where things have to move in more than two dimensions at once. It makes me wish I could plug into the matrix, then just know how to run something, rather than taking a year to become proficient at it, and a few more to master it.

Nice work!

Onshape is free. Myself and the other cnc operator were discussing software options, and that came up, just the other day.

I enjoy knowing how to do stuff. Not a big fan of the struggle of becoming proficient at anything. I really have a rough time with shapes like this where things have to move in more than two dimensions at once. It makes me wish I could plug into the matrix, then just know how to run something, rather than taking a year to become proficient at it, and a few more to master it.

I run the student version of Onshape because it is free for me, and I can do stuff like this for fun. My school gives me Solidworks for actual projects that I need to do. Both were pretty easy to learn. Onshape is a bit more basic, I think, but I have been using it a lot longer than Solidworks. Luckily they are made by the same developers, so it was a really easy transition for me.

I highly recommend Onshape for personal projects, as you can work on just about anything, and stuff is always stored on the cloud. I can export all my stuff from Onshape to Solidworks, so I don't really care either way.

I guess I should note that my design is based around 2" x 4" square tube. It's what I have used for all my bumpers, and it's pretty close to stock dimensions. I like the 3/16" flavor for its strength, but it's still pretty light. You can find it anywhere, and it's pretty easy to work with.

Here are the Shackle Mounts that I used on my crap, and are currently dimensioned in the drawings:

The tube is 1.5" in diameter, I like at a minimum 1/8" wall, and for this, I'd go for 1/8 - 3/16. The front tube on the model is mounted on a 20 degree angle.

Last edited:
If you post up what dimensions you are shooting for, and the mounting dimensions, I can definitely get this thing to the actual size that you want. I think the width that I have is right at 48".

To the OP... Make what you like. Just try not to do too much that can't be undone by the next owner. We're all only renting here.

I enjoy knowing how to do stuff. Not a big fan of the struggle of becoming proficient at anything....It makes me wish I could plug into the matrix, then just know how to run something, rather than taking a year to become proficient at it, and a few more to master it.

That's what makes an expert, a journeyman, a master.

To the OP... Make what you like. Just try not to do too much that can't be undone by the next owner. We're all only renting here.

My plan is this will just bolt on in place of factory bumper with no modification of anything.

If you post up what dimensions you are shooting for, and the mounting dimensions, I can definitely get this thing to the actual size that you want. I think the width that I have is right at 48".

oye. I've got a lot of variables and math. I was going to print off the page and attach is, but my software probably won't make any sense without it being live and manipulatable. You're just going to have to suffer through explanation.

So my plan for this was to plasma it out of flat plate, with the face and ends being folded into place. The reason being not having to work within the constraints of tubing.

Overall width: 54"
Top face width: 3"
Overall Height: 4.5"
Working from the outside edge-

-The ends are tapered back 15 degrees, and are based on the face length (looking head on), which is 9". So that line is 9/COS(15) long, 0r 9.317"
-The next face would be attached to the frame mounts. They were what is absorbing the rest of the math and are basically the remainder. It's a long formula. It's 8.035" long
-The next face is the angled section towards the center. The center is setback 2" The angle of the setback is 30 degrees. The length of that line is 2/SIN(30), or exactly 4" (how it came out to exactly that is a math mystery to me.
-The center section that is stepped back 2" is 13" wide.

You've got the right start point at the ends to sweep them up. I've got 2" remaining at the top edge, or 2.5" of rise.

Your prerunner bar looks tits to me. Both in dimension and placement
The shackle points should probably be right at the frame, those would be 13.25" off center.

BTW - Thank you very much for your help.

oye. I've got a lot of variables and math. I was going to print off the page and attach is, but my software probably won't make any sense without it being live and manipulatable. You're just going to have to suffer through explanation.

So my plan for this was to plasma it out of flat plate, with the face and ends being folded into place. The reason being not having to work within the constraints of tubing.

Overall width: 54"
Top face width: 3"
Overall Height: 4.5"
Working from the outside edge-

-The ends are tapered back 15 degrees, and are based on the face length (looking head on), which is 9". So that line is 9/COS(15) long, 0r 9.317"
-The next face would be attached to the frame mounts. They were what is absorbing the rest of the math and are basically the remainder. It's a long formula. It's 8.035" long
-The next face is the angled section towards the center. The center is setback 2" The angle of the setback is 30 degrees. The length of that line is 2/SIN(30), or exactly 4" (how it came out to exactly that is a math mystery to me.
-The center section that is stepped back 2" is 13" wide.

You've got the right start point at the ends to sweep them up. I've got 2" remaining at the top edge, or 2.5" of rise.

Your prerunner bar looks tits to me. Both in dimension and placement
The shackle points should probably be right at the frame, those would be 13.25" off center.

BTW - Thank you very much for your help.

Oke. Here it is. I can convert this to sheet metal really easily if you want. I can do whatever thickness, connected parts, etc. Should be good to slap on a plasma table. Let me know!

ISO Final.PNG

Front Final.PNG

Top Final.PNG

Rear ISO Final.PNG

Right Final.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom