Hard Door Rattle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We just rebuilt these hardtop doors and they rattle pretty bad when going over bumps. Is there anything that can be done to reduce the rattle

Oilite Bronze bushings in the hinges, new weather-stripping, plastic shims in the door handles, and adjust the door strikers.

Hows the widow felt?

Oilite Bronze bushings in the hinges, new weather-stripping, plastic shims in the door handles, and adjust the door strikers.
Any chance you know the specs of those bushings?

Frankenstein year. The color on the doors is the same, just different light sources. The door handles are different sizes. On the drivers door it is twice as big as the passengers door handle.

20240113_120623.jpg

20240113_120524.jpg

Frankenstein year. I don't know why the color of the doors is different unless there is different colored light on one side of the shop versus the other
What plastic shims are you talking about. The door handles do have some play in and out. The door strikers have been adjusted.

Window regulator is on upside down on passenger door.
Passenger door should have chrome door pull handle, Drivers door should have a flexible strap for a pull handle.

Window regulator is on upside down on passenger door.
Passenger door should have chrome door pull handle, Drivers door should have a flexible strap for a pull handle.
We think that we have two driver-side regulators. Or are they interchangible?

Is the regulator being upside down the reason for the rattle?
I am not sure that would cause the rattle unless your door only rattles on the passenger side. They are different for each side.
I have found that the rattles come from the glass not being tight in the track, but if you replaced it that is not it.
The other rattle is the door handle if the handle that opens the door is really loose and not snug, but they look new.
The only other thing that can rattle if you wouldn't have it tight is the bottoms stop for the window. The bracket with rubber pad on that bolts to the door centered below the window, doesn't look like you removed it since the bolts are painted the door color.
My last doors I went over didn't rattle once I had new seals in them.
The only other thought is the weatherstrip around the door isn't keeping it tight to the body and it rattles on the catch. Tight seal all the way around? When you close the door is it tight and solid? Can you push in and pull out? Any movement?

I am not sure that would cause the rattle unless your door only rattles on the passenger side. They are different for each side.
I have found that the rattles come from the glass not being tight in the track, but if you replaced it that is not it.
The other rattle is the door handle if the handle that opens the door is really loose and not snug, but they look new.
The only other thing that can rattle if you wouldn't have it tight is the bottoms stop for the window. The bracket with rubber pad on that bolts to the door centered below the window, doesn't look like you removed it since the bolts are painted the door color.
My last doors I went over didn't rattle once I had new seals in them.
The only other thought is the weatherstrip around the door isn't keeping it tight to the body and it rattles on the catch. Tight seal all the way around? When you close the door is it tight and solid? Can you push in and pull out? Any movement?
Thank you very much for the detailed information. Yes there is some play in the door due to a worn latch. Seemed like there was noise from inside the door. I could be hearing things that aren't there

I would take off the inspection plate on one or both of the doors, reach in and see if the track or the window glass is the cause of the rattling. The worn latch is probably part of it. It also should be easy to tell if one or both doors are rattling. There isn’t much to the door and your new felt and weatherstripping, if properly installed, eliminates two of the possibilities already.

There is a reason these doors are are gone.
001018.jpg

And it have these doors now.
IMG_20190822_190135850.jpg

Over the years I have never bothered to collect any pre 1/75 hard doors.
rollbar0002.JPG

Compared to the one piece doors the two piece doors have a lot more to rattle. Especially on washboard roads which Arizona has plenty of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom