Coming up on the 6 month anniversary of the 80/100 Section (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Mudders,

We are coming up on the 6 month anniversary when Woody took our sorry butts in from the cold after SOR gave us the boot.

During the first couple of months:
1. We complained about board features and Woody added more features.
2. We complained about the forum software and he upgraded to a new version.
3. We pleaded for keeping the SOR archives and he and Keep got those for us.
4. We demanded the old messages when he upgraded and he kept the archive messages.
5. We brought our verbose culture from SOR and all our digital images and have loaded GB after GB to Woody's server.

Woody has done this for the 80/100 enthusiasts and has requested very little in return.

During the past 6 months:
1. We have posted 16,000 messages and every message had to be read by Gumby, our section's moderator.
2. Gumby has a family, a job, and vehicles to maintain; yet he unselfishly moderates the board for us day in and day out.
3. There have been several POR regulars that have joined ih8mud and we have been very, very fortunate that they left the 'down-n-dirty' culture over at POR and, for the most part, have kept this forum courteous and a fun place to spend time. I don't think things would be as peaceful here without Gumby's influence!

So, you ask, "why all the platitudes Beo?" Well, I'm glad you asked. :D

There is a button on the bottom of this page that says "Make a Donation." If you can make a donation, then please do. If you cannot, then just think long and hard about whether or not you are gaining any benefit from your time here. If you are not gaining any benefit, then please leave. If you are, then think about what Woody and Gumby are giving to you and then please reconsider your decision.

-B-

I agree and have been thinking about the same thing. This board has saved my bacon numerous times.

Only problem is that I don't see the button, perhaps I should look around some more.

Ok, now I see it. It's so subtle you can't even notice it. How low key... :cheers:

R

Awwwww. "sniff"

Woody is the man. All I do is hang out. Three cheers for Woodrow! :beer: :beer: :beer:

SOR coming over here was the coolest thing since the introduction of the 80 series. Beowulf, c-Dan and all the rest have really made this the premier 80s forum on the web.

Donations and purchases would help. i've not heard anything from Woody about how much all of this costs, but we have had some volume issues from time to time. If you don't have your IH8Mud hat yet, and you're not too tired of people asking you about your snorkel that you can stand a few more asking about that IH8Mud sticker, buy some stuff!

Thanks, B

I'll tell ya what tho, everyone makes this easy!! Damned friendliest bunch of forum clowns out there, and it makes things a breeze!!

Oh, and Keep gets 99.99% of the SOR-history credit, since all I did was forward the stuff to him!

And Gumby DOES get huge props for keeping an eye on things...since I don't have a 80/100, I don't hit this section much beyond a browse. From a owner or moderator standpoint, no notifications is a good thing! lol

As pointed out, this stuff DOES cost some $$, and I'm continually looking for ways to not only keep things running smooth but also keep my costs minimal. MERCHANDISE is my favorite way to keep the site supported (since "stuff" doubles as "advertising"), but the handful that done direct donations are VERY appreciated! (scroll to the bottom of ANY page and there is a "donate" button....or hit the Announcement link at the top of the main 4 forums and check out the merchandise!)

Beo has said it all. The popularity and usefulness of this forum is demonstrated best by the increasingly large number of posts and newer members. This is an incredibly valuable resource, and it is up to us guarantee its longevity.

Everyone, at the very least, needs another cap :). Show your support!

Cheers, R -

Never saw that donation bar. :doh: When I get home on wednesday, I figure I will contribute to making sure we keep this board. Thanks to all who have made it happen. :beer:
Cheers,
Sean

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=5764;start=msg45725#msg45725 date=1064805580]
3. There have been several POR regulars that have joined ih8mud and we have been very, very fortunate that they left the 'down-n-dirty' culture over at POR and, for the most part, have kept this forum courteous and a fun place to spend time.[/quote]

What? :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:
ohhh, sorry. You think POR is bad, go look at Discoweb.org - they seem to eat their young over there :D

Kidding aside, thanks Woods, Gumby and all the others. This is a great place to spend some idle time. I find that I am increasingly coming here vs 80sCool list, LCML, etc. I guess I do need a sticker or a hat!

As a side note, some of the topics I like at D-web are the 'Tools' and 'Camping/Expedition' equipment threads (vs under general or campfire) - Maybe we can add something similar over here?

Cheers, Hugh

[quote author=CDN_Cruiser link=board=2;threadid=5764;start=msg45837#msg45837 date=1064849640]
As a side note, some of the topics I like at D-web are the 'Tools' and 'Camping/Expedition' equipment threads (vs under general or campfire) - Maybe we can add something similar over here? [/quote]

I like that idea...got a short "monikor" in mind that would cover both?

ie: "Workshop/Wilderness Corner??"

[quote author=woody link=board=2;threadid=5764;start=msg45838#msg45838 date=1064849734]
I like that idea...got a short "monikor" in mind that would cover both?

[/quote]

Me likes :D

Hugh,
To be fair, my experience at POR is limited to cross-postings; where someone has said "go read this..." The brutal immature verbal exchanges and the vulgarity is rampant. It just doesn't seem to be a pleasant place to hang a hat and converse with intelligent friends.

My 2c.
-B-

(But I know where to go when I'm in a fightin' mood.... )

The Cruiser section on PBB is by and large a great bunch...I do agree however that once you leave the sanctity of that corner, life gets a bit rough....lol

'course, we do put up with Junk, so things ain't perfect here either... :ban:

[quote author=woody link=board=2;threadid=5764;start=msg45838#msg45838 date=1064849734]
[/quote]

Sounds good to me. I just found the advice, comparisons of Sears, Snap-on, etc to be really interesting and learned quite a bit in the process.

Cheers, Hugh

I second the vote for Hugh's excellent idea for a category for Expeditionary Outfitting. This would serve all classes of Cruisers equally as well - though obviously some of the equipment would differ in some measure - and would be just as appropriate for the more serious expeditionary types, as for casual campers.

>> I like that idea...got a short "monikor" in mind that would cover both?

IMHO, the term "Wilderness" has a completly different connotation - at least to hikers and backpackers. Something that more closely reflects long road trips, camping, and expeditioning might better describe the category.

I'm still thinking...

R -

I too second the idea of "Workshop/Wilderness Corner". It's just as much "work/effort" to rig up the workshop for maintenance and the rig for camping & trail riding.

By the way, my son and I went on our first camping/fishing trip last weekend in the "new" 80 and wow what a great truck (compared to our old 60)!

Now I can see the point behind George's LEDs and all the other cool stuff I "need".

Go IH8MUD Go! :beer:

Riley

I respectfully submit that it be called "Outfitting"

I select that term because one "outfits" one's self or vehicle for a particular purpose or duty. IE, "I outfit myself with a tent and a sleeping bag and an ice chest."......ETC.
You would be outfitted differently on a day trail run vs an overnite vs a weekend and so on. In addition, are you hunting or fishing or exploring or boating......I think you get the drift.

Dan. :cheers:

My wife gets a new outfit as payback everytime I feed your darn dogs. Is that the same?
-B-

dang it dan,
You always have the good ideas.
Dave

B-

I believe it's more like retribution..... :rolleyes:

FaVE, I think of it more like being in the right place at the right time. :cheers:

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=5764;start=msg46088#msg46088 date=1064895565]

I respectfully submit that it be called "Outfitting"

[/quote]

WE HAVE A WINNER!

Now, is anyone interested in "moderating"? (we all know how much work it is....lol)

< BTW: this is now an official thread hijack! >

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom