Colorado: Want to drive up Pikes Peak 14Kft abouve sea level. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Headed to Colorado in a few weeks with my desmoged 87. I have a stock 2f that runs like a top shes my daily driver.

I want to drive up Pikes Peak 14K plus feet above sea level.

Any suggestions/advice.

Watch the weather forecast. I was there at 13,000 feet watching the hill climb a few weeks ago. It sleeted about 1-1/2 inches later in the day. Trip down is hard on brakes. Good to stop on the way down to let brakes cool and take it the view. Have fun, should be a good time.

I lived in c-springs for years back in the points and carbs era. I wouldn't change jets unless you're going to be there for some time. You're going to run rich at high altitude, but you should be ok. If you are really concerned you could use a hotter plug while you were there to prevent fouling. Since you have a 2f you're going to be reving the hell out of it to climb Pikes Peak ( you know, 3000 rpm) so fouling shouldn't be an issue. You could flood it with the choke while cold tho.

I don't think this should be a big deal at all. I did this many moons ago (when it was dirt) in a VW squareback. If that POS didn't have an issue, a cruiser sure wont.

No problem. Drive on up there.

I drove my federal-emission spec truck up there with no issues. It will run a bit rich at the top. Go early in the day - like 10 AM. It will be raining or snowing by 2-5pm. Use lower gears coming down and don't worry about the brakes.

Keep the engine in the higher rpm's (a bit higher than normal) and drive at a constant speed. A simple rule I've learned driving in the Alps this summer: use the same gear to drive down the mountain as you would use to drive it up. That way, the engine acts as your primary brake. You only need to tap the brakes occasionally, the cruiser will do the rest. And don't forget to enjoy the view. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom