Color help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks,

Can anyone help me determine if my colour (as seen in the avatar) is original?
If so, any clue what its called?

Thanks
Mike

Really need a bigger pic.
What year and model?

Hopefully you will see more of the color from this picture.

FJ45.jpg

LC40.png

I've seen this chart before, but, I'm not sure my colour is on it.
I would say its a cross between the yellow and the beige, or maybe the chart isn't a true comparison?

Have you tried looking at areas that may have been missed by a respray? Photo isn't really clear if it is more beige or yellow.

I don't think your color is original.
If you look up under the dash or maybe inside the glove box you may find the original color.

What year is your truck?

Also, your bed doesn't look original, but I'm uncertain about non-US markets.

I have found that colour chart is not complete for early FJ-4x, but I do not know for your year or market. That is close to the original color of my 63' FJ45 swb. Another idea is to look under a hinge.
Bob in CO

I'm not finding traces of any other colour, under the dash and glove box all looks a similar yellow beige.

The truck is a 76.
As for the rear tub. I was told that this style was specific to south africa and the trucks were imported without the tubs, and they were built and assembled I country.
Not sure if that's true. It's certainly not as good looking ad the tubs with rounded wheel arches, but it's fairly robust and the sides and tailgate well manufactured.

The bed is shot to hell. That's a job for the summer. I'm going to reline the bed and sides with Aluminium checker plate. That's part of the reason for my colour question. I would like to make sure the paintwork is good before doing the bed.

It sorta hard to tell from a pic but it doesn’t seem exactly like an original beige. Since the area where the step mounts under the driver’s door looks unmarked, it seems like a repaint. But it looks good and like an oem color.

LITP will be happy to rattle off the list of changes. Yes, it can be done. There's a story on here, I think it's in the stolen vehicle section, about a guy who showed up at my shop with a 79 tub on a '69 frame.

Dan, you are correct about the mounting differences. Two supports in the rear instead of 4. Like myself, we have the potential to forget more than most will ever know.

For the record this is not a Toyota chart but a private one. It is also not 100% correct. I have a 9/67 FJ40 which is a 68 model. It originally Capri Blue when I bought it in 1974. I put the cruiser on it's side in the fall of 1975. In 1976 I found a top off a 1973 model. It was beige. Still have the sides and rear hatch that came on the 68. Tailgate came out of a wrecking. Do not remember the year. Three footman loops per side is pre 72 model. This could be off a 64. Remember stripping parts of a 64 FST that was blue. Have the safety straps eyebolts off the dash.
IMG_20190520_140952371.jpg

Prior to 1/75 paint colors are somewhat of a mystery. Toyota is not very forthcoming with data on old cruisers. Been over forty years since they dropped everything prior to 3/69 from the parts system. Haven't found a cruiser yet I could find some original paint. But never tried on someone's frame off restoration where everything was dismantled and painted.

The 45 in the original post looks to be repainted. Hard to believe a pickup could go from 1976 and not have some dings and paint chips. At this point if want to match what's there now would have someone do a color match.

Sorry to be clear. This has been repainted some time in the recent past. But, there is no trace of original color anywhere. So maybe dipped or blasted.

I guess it may require going to a paint shop and getting them to match.

Have them match 464 Beige and your good. Should be some modern color numbers somewhere her on mud

Sorry to be clear. This has been repainted some time in the recent past. But, there is no trace of original color anywhere. So maybe dipped or blasted.

I guess it may require going to a paint shop and getting them to match.

Have you looked at the backside of the dash?! Pulled a body side of a front door hinge? Removed the bib or an apron. Do you have a factory heater, if not search around the damper door in the center of the cowl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom