Cold air on Passenger Side Floor - Has anyone figured it out? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you press "recirculate" on the air controls, the cold air stops coming into the passenger footwell. Not sure why this is exactly but when the air is on recirculate, it does not happen, at least on my 2003 LX it stops.

I took a trip from NC to Buffalo in subzero temps in PA and NY and my girlfriend was complaining about this. I pressed recirculate and whallah! no more cold air.

If you press "recirculate" on the air controls, the cold air stops coming into the passenger footwell. Not sure why this is exactly but when the air is on recirculate, it does not happen, at least on my 2003 LX it stops.

I took a trip from NC to Buffalo in subzero temps in PA and NY and my girlfriend was complaining about this. I pressed recirculate and whallah! no more cold air.

Yes that works but then it fogs up the windows including the windshield. So I have to keep going back to fresh air. I even tried RainX anti fog and it did not prevent fogging at all.

Yes that works but then it fogs up the windows including the windshield. So I have to keep going back to fresh air. I even tried RainX anti fog and it did not prevent fogging at all.

Odd, I don’t have this problem at all. Drove 5 hours on recirc with no fogging...

Odd, I don’t have this problem at all. Drove 5 hours on recirc with no fogging...
I like to think it might have something to do with 3 kids and two adults huffing and puffing in the car :D

Parts arrived. I am trying to figure out how to install them without killing myself (it -10F today)
20190125_074038.jpg

Parts arrived. I am trying to figure out how to install them without killing myself (it -10F today)View attachment 1888256
Installed the new cover and seal for the heat exchanger. That took care of the cold air draft in passenger's feet :bounce:

BUT
There is still some cold radiating from right behind the blower motor area:bang:

I pulled the carpet and insulation back to see if there are any holes or sign of water leakage but didn't find any thing tha would cause the out side cold to pour into the cabin.
Even looked at the passenger foot well from the outside and all seems in order.

I think the next step will be to pull the blower motor out and use RTV around the perimeter or just burn this heap down :devil:

Installed the new cover and seal for the heat exchanger. That took care of the cold air draft in passenger's feet :bounce:

BUT
There is still some cold radiating from right behind the blower motor area:bang:

I pulled the carpet and insulation back to see if there are any holes or sign of water leakage but didn't find any thing tha would cause the out side cold to pour into the cabin.
Even looked at the passenger foot well from the outside and all seems in order.

I think the next step will be to pull the blower motor out and use RTV around the perimeter or just burn this heap down :devil:
My suggestion would be to pull all the carpet and insulation back and get an assistant to drive while you are sitting in the passenger seat feeling around for an kind of access point for cold air. Alternatively, you could remove the passenger seat and lay down on the floor while having someone drive so you could get a better look without having to bend in awkward positions; granted you’ll want to be safe and only have your assistant drive somewhat slowly on residential streets

My suggestion would be to pull all the carpet and insulation back and get an assistant to drive while you are sitting in the passenger seat feeling around for an kind of access point for cold air. Alternatively, you could remove the passenger seat and lay down on the floor while having someone drive so you could get a better look without having to bend in awkward positions; granted you’ll want to be safe and only have your assistant drive somewhat slowly on residential streets

I did something like that. I had my assistant drive while I bent over and tried to feel where the cold was seeping in from. It definitely comes from the area higher than where carpet ends. It is behind where the blower motor mounts. Since the amount of cold radiation is proportional to the speed of the car, it is barely noticeable at residential street level speeds. It is most apparent at highway speed, but it doesn't seem prudent to be lying there without front seat at those higher speeds.

I did notice that one of the rubber grommets for cables going into the cabin had a teeny-tiny hole in it. I went to town on that with a new tube of RTV sealant. will see if that improves anything by tomorrow.

I believe cold air at highway speed was coming in through a square opening next to the screw that holds the square flange part of the blower to the housing.
See attached pics, the air can flow past the white housing area (2 arrows) and exit the square hole (single circle) on the black blower flange.
Also restricted some of the air flow to the driver side opening which forced more air to the passenger side.
Thanks!

20161227_133028.jpg

20161227_133005.jpg

I also tried sealing that area on the fan housing, but it had no effect. It's related to the air recirculation blend door somehow. If you manually place the system in recirculation mode, the cold air stops, if you set it back to outside air, the cold air begins to blow back in again.

I tried looking in that area but you can't see into it from the fan housing opening, I also used my flexible crevice camera (the unit with a camera at the end of a flexible stalk and a monitor) and didn't see anything amiss. The blend door sits up high behind the center console so it's difficult to get to, which is why I think no one has figured this out yet. I'm guessing it'll take some significant disassembly to get to the blend door.

Took our first family trip this weekend and the wife was complaining about cold air on her feet. 06 LX470. I'll try a few of these fixes and hope one of them works.

Thanks all who have been looking in to this. Much appreciated.

This was my thought also, but since it's so far up, I can only just barely feel it. Maybe the foam around the edge is worn? Or the door needs slight adjustment to seal better.

I also tried sealing that area on the fan housing, but it had no effect. It's related to the air recirculation blend door somehow. If you manually place the system in recirculation mode, the cold air stops, if you set it back to outside air, the cold air begins to blow back in again.

I tried looking in that area but you can't see into it from the fan housing opening, I also used my flexible crevice camera (the unit with a camera at the end of a flexible stalk and a monitor) and didn't see anything amiss. The blend door sits up high behind the center console so it's difficult to get to, which is why I think no one has figured this out yet. I'm guessing it'll take some significant disassembly to get to the blend door.

I rode upside down on my back on the passenger side while my som drove 60mph and the cold air is coming in behind the blower up against the firewall high up it appears.
Going to plug the ac drain hose and see what difference that makes.
Next step if that doesn’t work is to fit some insulation up in there to keep the air from flowing down to the footwell.
The situation is exacerbated by the fact the passenger side vent blows the air pretty far back (closer to seat than firewall)

I rode upside down on my back on the passenger side while my som drove 60mph and the cold air is coming in behind the blower up against the firewall high up it appears.
Going to plug the ac drain hose and see what difference that makes.
Next step if that doesn’t work is to fit some insulation up in there to keep the air from flowing down to the footwell.
The situation is exacerbated by the fact the passenger side vent blows the air pretty far back (closer to seat than firewall)

FWIW - I completely sealed the AC drain outlet and that had zero impact on the slight cold air seepage whatsoever. so @Burch1 sealing up the blower motor had no impact either?

Sealing the blower motor housing helped but did nothing for the air draft behind it at firewall.
Will report back on ac hole plug.
Maddening! :-(

Sealing the blower motor housing helped but did nothing for the air draft behind it at firewall.
Will report back on ac hole plug.
Maddening! :-(
I agree this is very very hurtful. I also plugged a pin-hole in one of the rubber grommets leading into the cabin and that had no impact either.

Well, plugged the AC drain hose with not much change.
What I did do that had a major impact and pretty much fixed the problem was to put foam weatherstrip up between the firewall and inside of the passenger side compartment just above where the carpet ends.
The foam piece was the 2-1/4" x 2-1/4" that I cut to approx. 12" and stuffed up there. It isn't pretty but almost impossible to see.
I purchased the weather strip at Home Depot but am sure it is readily available at all hardware stores.
Cheap fix for $5 and the wife is happy now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom