Clutch slave spring and bracket on a post 85 truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HemiAlex

Long live the 2F
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
yotaoilfilters.com
Do all the post 85 trucks have this spring and bracket?

Mine doesn’t have this and looks like it hasn’t had one recently. What do I need to get this right? I’ve been 40,000 miles of ownership without issue not having it.

Is it only the early trucks that have this? Did the different hydraulics of the early one need this while my later truck doesn’t?

D2454421-6276-4B1E-B70C-3030852B8D5E.jpeg

C6ACFF48-E859-41C9-86AA-891A3DFF0C7C.jpeg

The slave cylinder in the second pic doesn’t look like lc slave, haven’t seen one with a built in bracket and are we looking at it from the bottom? Mine looks like the top pic but with a stamped sheet metal bracket for the spring, but my clutch fork looks like the bottom pic. Mine is an ‘82.

Top pic looks like my 11/85 setup, and the brand new slave I replaced my original with was also totally lacking in any sort of return spring. Works great, never a single problem with the pedal not returning (after I replaced my leaky original master and slave cylinders).

Your slave cylinder setup is correct for your vehicle. The newer 60s like yours got the internal spring tension integrated into the slave cylinder. It's supposed to apply a constant low pressure to the throw out bearing & the throw out bearing is supposed to stay pressed against the clutch springs and constantly spin forever. This is a better design.

The old design on the old cruisers had that pull back spring on the slave lever thingy to actively pull the throw out bearing away from the clutch springs when the clutch was disengaged.

The reason (I'm guessing) Toyota did away with that design is the old method wore out the clutch springs faster when the bearing would grind at first contact

I agree that bottom pic doesn’t look like an early set up.

This does though.

image.jpg

External spring, adjustable rod, and bracket off of the bell housing.

I never feel like I have it adjusted right but the clutch seems to work just fine. (Don’t mind the oil, it’s rustproofing...) :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom