Clutch Slave Cylinder - After Market (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As anyone had immediate failure when installing an aftermarket clutch slave? Got mine from Cool C. and finally thought I would install after repeated bleeding then reoccurring clutch engage/disengage problems. Did not buy and replace master as it looks new (from PO and brake master reservoir also appears identical) based on the reservoir color - white vs. aged yellowish color. No leakage anywhere.
Changed clutch slave, bled extensively with MityMite and adjusted pushrod to match old slave. As soon as I depressed clutch pedal the slave seal failed and leakage occurred at pushrod end.
Any suggestions for next steps? Just get the OEM slave or is there a higher quality aftermarket? I've read other related posts and success reported with Beck Arnley and NAPA.

As anyone had immediate failure when installing an aftermarket clutch slave? Got mine from Cool C. and finally thought I would install after repeated bleeding then reoccurring clutch engage/disengage problems. Did not buy and replace master as it looks new (from PO and brake master reservoir also appears identical) based on the reservoir color - white vs. aged yellowish color. No leakage anywhere.
Changed clutch slave, bled extensively with MityMite and adjusted pushrod to match old slave. As soon as I depressed clutch pedal the slave seal failed and leakage occurred at pushrod end.
Any suggestions for next steps? Just get the OEM slave or is there a higher quality aftermarket? I've read other related posts and success reported with Beck Arnley and NAPA.

For such leakage to immediately occur (even with the cheaper non-OEM products), installation/setup/mismatch faults are far more likely than product failure.

Just my 2c

:beer:

Thanks Tom. what installation errors are possible? I think I've at least proven my master cylinder is good if it can blowout the new slave. Thinking about pulling new one off and reinstalling old one since it worked mostly and when pumped and no leakage at any point in system. Then I can inspect new one for what it is worth.

I think I will reinstall new slave using original pushrod (after comparing length). Possible setup issue and a new cylinder should really work.

I think I will reinstall new slave using original pushrod (after comparing length). Possible setup issue and a new cylinder should really work.

That's what I was thinking...

You've always got to compare new with old to spot the differences.

With all the aftermarket cylinders I've fitted I have always had to reuse the original pushrods to get the "freeplay" and "travel" within the FSM guidelines .

I suspect the seals on your slave's piston briefly exited the bore to puke out the fluid.

:beer:

Yes, the new pushrod was 2.5 in. or so shorter! Put the old one in and adjusted freeplay for a 78 FJ40 (.16 in so tight!) and have a rig to get out of this snow storm hitting the Pacific NW, if needed. Thanks so much for expanding my thinking!
Russ

One more question, will the the slave's piston seals re-seat themselves? I'll monitor fluid level and check for drips underneath.

I would not think any damage occured. You should be able to push it back in.

Folks,

While we're on the topic of clutch slave cylinders. ...

Does anyone know where one could buy replacement seals for a bj40 clutch slave cylinder?

The new ones on my aftermarket cylinder needed immediate replacement. They were rubbish quality. I couldn't find any locally or with Toyota so ended up ordering a new one from Toyota for about 30 dollars.

For those interested, the seals are a very strange 15/16" or 23.8mm.

Anyone know where these deals can be found?

I found my last clutch cylinders kits at an old brake shop...they came in a Beck-Arnley box.

I'd send it back-their dime, get my $ back. Then go buy OEM(Aisin)

I have. I have on several occasions had aftermarket clutch and brake masters simply not work right out of the box. For this reason I only go with hard parts that are OEM, aisin or made in japan. All of these are usually good quality units. Lots of stuff from cool cruisers is aftermarket junk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom