Clutch Master Cylinder Kit?!?!? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
im new to Landcruisers, i am restoring my 78 fj for my senior project at school. the clutch master cylinder recently went out so i bought a kit for it to replace the internals, but i'm having a hard time figuring out how to get the internals that are in the master cylinder out. i know this is a lame problem, but any help would be greatly appreciated. i couldn't find any information on replacement kits anywhere...thanks

It's been awhile since I've rebuilt rather than replaced, but I believe there is an internal snap ring that once removed allows the inners to slide right out.

There should be a snap ring on the old one, where the linkage connects on the rear. You need to remove this, then the piston will probably pop out at you, so be careful. Put the new parts in, if the cylinder wall in not all scraped up, and you are good to go. If there are gouges in the wall of the cylinder, then you are going to want to replace this piece, which, for what it is worth, is what I would have done to begin with. From past history, and from what other users have posted out here, installing a kit, usually only works for a year, and then fails again. Who knows, you may start a new trend tho...

Good luck!

-Steve

Dang.... i pulled the Snap ring out, but the internals won't slide out, they are stuck in there. Any ideas?? thanks

ya...It's rusted..Anybody know where i can get a new one cheap?
Thanks...

Yeah NAPA. They are always on EBay, too. Don't rebuild a rusted out one.

Watch out for cheap CCOT MCs. They have a reputation.

I rebuilt a 78 clutch master today at my shop. It too was stuck. I carefully popped it out with air pressure. Aim it into a bucket of dirty rags. After removal I inspected the bore expecting the worst and only found a gummy ring of sticky goop. The housing cleaned up with ease and didn't even need a hone job. Dunked the new parts in fluid and assembled. Installed, adjusted, and bleed, it functioned perfectly. The owner was astonished and said it hadn't worked that good since the early 80s.

I certainly rebuilt mine with no problem. I had the same gunk, especially at the front end. But I wouldn't have reused it had there been pitting.

My 3yr old CCOT clutch master has been bad for about 2 yrs. I have a constantly moving clutch release point and a lot of the time I have to double pump, but sometimes I don't. I tried rebuilding it, but it helped none.

When I have enough cash I'll go OEM. If anyone thinks I'm wrong here, let me know, I'd love to fix the thing. Also, I'm not knocking CCOT. I'm knocking the crappy Taiwanese stuff. Stay with OEM, IMHO.

Matt

I have never purchased CCoT hydraulics but I too have heard of the "reputation". I recently bought an Aisin (OEM mfgr for Toyota) clutch master for my 60 from JTO. It fits andworks great and is exactly the same as the one I took out. I'll let you know in 19 years if it as good as the original! If you don't want to wait for shipping, I would just go OEM from Toyota. These are pretty cheap-I wouldn't bother with a rebuild except in a trail emergency.

I've got a Napa clutch master. First new part to go on my truck under my ownership. Reliable, $75 and no shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom