Clutch adjustment question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I plan to replace my slave and master this weekend. Whats the best way to bleed and or flush the system once everything is installed? Never had to change these items out before. Any pitfalls I should know about?

My clutch pedal has been getting closer and closer to the floor board over the past few weeks. Finally this morning after a meeting at work I couldn't get it into reverse...ugh. Had to push it out get it rolling and pop it into first then was able to get it home. Seemed to work a little better once it was warmed up.

This is a super easy job that doesn't take long at all.

Step 1: use something to suck out all of the fluid in the slave master that you can.
Step 2: take the line that goes from the slave master to the slave cylinder off the slave master. Unbolt the slave master from the firewall. You will need to unhook it from the clutch pedal also. Replace with your new slave master.
Step 3: remove the slave cylinder and replace with your new one.
Step 4: hook up the line that goes between this two parts. Add brake fluid (preferably a different color than what was in there before)
Step 5: You will need two people to bleed the clutch. Flush all of the old fluid out of there and make sure that there isn't any air in the line.

Then your done. This couldn't have been easier. The only watch out is to make sure that you flush all of the fluid out so you can start over with fresh fluid. Also, when you bled the clutch it will pull the fluid down in the slave master. Make sure you keep that topped off so it doesn't start sucking air. If it does then you just have to bled that air out. No a big deal but it just takes a bit longer. Good luck!!

Thanks for this. On cold mornings, my clutch acts this way too, but haven't noticed it since last winter. Moving this to the top of my to-do list.

Clutch/brake fluid (at least DOT 3) gets darker with exposure to moisture. Brake fluid reservoirs have vented caps, so moisture eventually contacts the fluid. Thus, old brake fluid is black and opaque.

Generally speaking, if the fluid is very dark amber or black, you need to replace the fluid. I have seen the 'dirt' you mention - not sure what that is (could be dirt, of course), and it would be best to wipe any of this out of the MC when it's drained or very low. The real solution is to change the fluid frequently enough that it never gets that nasty.

Clutch/brake fluid (at least DOT 3) gets darker with exposure to moisture. Brake fluid reservoirs have vented caps, so moisture eventually contacts the fluid. Thus, old brake fluid is black and opaque.

Generally speaking, if the fluid is very dark amber or black, you need to replace the fluid. I have seen the 'dirt' you mention - not sure what that is (could be dirt, of course), and it would be best to wipe any of this out of the MC when it's drained or very low. The real solution is to change the fluid frequently enough that it never gets that nasty.
Great comments here @SteveH ! Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom