Clusters, Gauges, Speedo & Odo meters (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good day all,
Does anyone know if a 3rd gen cluster will work in a 1984 hj47? My cluster is in a horrible state and figured why not just purchase a new one. I can only find 3rd gen clusters and wouldn't mind using one as long as I know it will work same way.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Can the foil circuit on the back of the cluster(3/76) be repaired? Mine is burned (separated) in one place.

Yes you can solder it back together, or solder a wire from one part to the other. I did that to mine when I shorted a part out.

1572977517259.png

Can anyone tell me if this is a 4th gen cluster and if it will fit in a 1984 hj47.. mine has the international symbols and 6 digit speedo.

thanks for the replies.

IMG-20191105-WA0013.jpg

View attachment 2125985

Can anyone tell me if this is a 4th gen cluster and if it will fit in a 1984 hj47.. mine has the international symbols and 6 digit speedo.

thanks for the replies.

View attachment 2125991

pop your old one out before pulling the trigger. i have a 79 43 and just bought part number ending in 60180 (says it works based on the year). Only to have it need a 60014. Trying to see if there is an adapter or some fix to make the 60180 work, but haven’t turned anything up yet.

FJ43L-KC

- Light shades modification

- Violet High Out-Put Led Bulbs

- New oarnge paint on all Needles

- clean all glass inside and out perfect

- NON-USA Style Pull switch knob Lantern Logo Saudi Spec Region Late Model

LX package Limited numbers ever made

:cool:

1584156920714.png

I have a new 4th generation cluster 83100-60180 and a restored 1975 US wiring harness. The high beam indicator light is not working when dimmer switch is activated. The bulb has been tested and works. The harness is out of the truck and on my table in a test environment. Can someone help me trouble shoot? This is the last item on my checklist before installing. I’ve read through this amazing thread but still cannot fix. Below is my cluster and wiring images.

D7FC6701-3EFE-4634-89B9-8BE533DA8596.jpeg

The WB ground wire is spliced into common ground in harness as shown. The wires are properly grounded in my test environment.
02D16ECE-DBBC-4B3E-ABCD-4541E48DA595.jpeg

The WL and B wires are not connected as I’m not using the 50AMP meter in the cluster. Will add fuseable link and dual 5AMP fuses at a later date.
4961D6A0-62BE-431C-8F77-F1791B2875E0.jpeg

2FC81B1B-7D46-4BBC-B4FF-5EF12927C24D.jpeg

30BE86AC-5B18-4E58-8353-4E262BEDF9F3.jpeg

Problem solved. While working on the harness last night, my shop lights were so bright I was not able to see the dimmer light was actually on. Tested everything again this morning, step by step: continuity, volts, bulb, socket, ground. I must say, the light is very dim through the blue indicator lens. I must need to upgrade to the brighter LED bulbs. Images of light on and off below. I did read through the thread for an hour and learned a lot. This post is one of the most complete and detailed I’ve read on MUD. Many thanks to @bj40green.

C3ED7C7C-901E-4BB1-9841-5913EC83B622.jpeg

OFF
8F6ED63F-9E6F-4CF7-A5EB-D8AE070BB90A.jpeg

ON Front
30CBB226-3CBC-4994-A8D5-A474E5E0CA92.jpeg

OFF
7A4B1E72-554B-4241-B826-B33EB8B1414A.jpeg

Ha. ha. Been there, done that. For hours and hours and hours...
I deserve some serious ribbing on this one. I too have done this many times...going round and round scratching my head researching and going back to look at the most simple potential problem and discovering the solution.

Hi guys I am trying to bring my 75 fj40 cluster back to life. Actually the whole vehicle. I started restoring it after using it as a hunting vehicle at the ranch from 94-02 and then brought it home to live......well instead decided to get a black belt in jiujitsu, have a son, get divorced and ten years later here we are. 350 sbc engine swap. Soooooo, none of my gauges work as engine doesn’t have (Toyota not GM correct?) senders installed. With a battery installed, and all the unnecessary 2F items removed but an original intact harness, power does flow to AMP meter and my headlights work, but they dim or brighten as you turn the LIGHTs knob, as one would want to dim or raise their cluster lamps. Neither turn signal bulb illuminates. Hi beam indicator bulb same story. No speedo illumination. All bulbs are original and look fine. I’ve not bench tested the cluster or inspected PCB. Not sure what I hooked up wrong but I’ve been replacing the crumbling connectors on the harness, thoroughly cleaned the light switch and fuses/block, and perhaps something is awry??? I did replace the harness for IGN with a new one. I’m trying to learn how to read wiring diagrams in the meanwhile...........much appreciation already for this thread. The cluster /wiring is the final frontier of FJ knowledge for me.

Last edited:
In attempting to illuminate cluster, I figured I could connect harness to power thru ammeter, female spade terminal to ground on pin 1 of cluster, to known good chassis ground. Turn key ON, Turn on lights switch - ZILCH, NADA, ZERO lightbulbs alive on the cluster but headlights do still work. Rheostat spade on light switch is dimming the headlights. Maybe that is the culprit. Need to look at wiring diagram of light switch for wiring colors.

In attempting to illuminate cluster, I figured I could connect harness to power thru ammeter, female spade terminal to ground on pin 1 of cluster, to known good chassis ground. Turn key ON, Turn on lights switch - ZILCH, NADA, ZERO lightbulbs alive on the cluster but headlights do still work. Rheostat spade on light switch is dimming the headlights. Maybe that is the culprit. Need to look at wiring diagram of light switch for wiring colors.
Can you post a picture of the wiring you have into headlight switch? There must be an issue with how the headlight switch is ground.

if your rheostat is dimming your headlights ?

then your REd/ w black tracer , is mixed up maybe with your red w/ white tracer ?

3.jpg

coolfj40_2270_258178319 - Copy.jpeg

Red with black stripe are a pair and are in center spot of housing. Red with white is to the side of them. I “thought” i might have the solid red and red/white swapped?

Red with black stripe are a pair and are in center spot of housing. Red with white is to the side of them. I “thought” i might have the solid red and red/white swapped?

is your switch a 60010 or a 60011 stamped on it ?

My 1975 wiring harness connected to a 60010 switch is wired in the following way.
1C0BB6E9-566A-43A7-B45C-F83509BF2EFD.jpeg

Your wiring colors match my 1976 harness shown below.
436AB425-181B-4F04-A149-9B444EB1BE64.jpeg

It appears you have it correctly wired. Try connecting a ground to the metal switch housing with alligator clip and connect to good grounding spot and try the light switch again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom