Clusters, Gauges, Speedo & Odo meters (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There is not a lot of information about the early temperature senders/gauges and some of that information is incorrect, which lead me down the wrong path. Maybe someone with a little more clout than I can confirm the information below and update some of the earlier posts in this thread. Hopefully this helps folks avoid the mistakes I made.

Operation of early (pre 9/72) temperature senders:

Much like the early fuel senders, the early temperature senders contain bi-metal voltage regulators and operate as a crude on/off (like really slow PWM) temperature dependent voltage regulator. They are NOT resistive temperature sensors, and trying to measure the resistance as a function of temperature will not work - the resistance is a near constant 35 - 40 ohms, regardless of temperature, as you are actually measuring the resistance of the heater wire wrapped around the bi-metal strip.

These sensors work in a similar fashion to the bi-metal strips wrapped in a heater coil that deflect the needle in the gauges. The gauge applies battery voltage though a ~25 ohm resistor (which is the heater coil on in the gauge itself) to the sender. This causes the bi-metal thermostat strip in the sender to be heated by a coil of resistance wire wrapped around it, and it bends away from a contact, breaking the circuit. As the circuit is now open, the bi-metal strip cools down and returns back to the contact, closing the circuit and starting the cycle again. The duty cycle (how long the circuit is closed relative to how long it is open) sets the average voltage through the sender. Now as the ambient temperature in the sender increases, it takes less time to for the bi-metal strip to heat up as it is already warm, and it takes it longer to cool back down, so the regulator spends more of its time in the open position, which decreases the duty cycle, and thus leads to a lower average voltage. In short, the sender is a temperature sensitive voltage regulator with a decreasing average voltage as the temperature increases.

This also explains why the needle on the early temperature gauges rests on the right (H) side of the gauge when the vehicle is off and deflect to the left. When you start the engine, the sender is cold and is closed most of the time, leading to the a higher average current through the gauge, which deflects the needle all the way to the left (C). As the sender warms up it spends more time open than closed, reducing the average current through the gauge, which then deflects less and moves back the right towards the Hot mark.

Hopefully this helps someone else figure out what is going on with their gauges. Next up my non working fuel gauge/sender combo.

Last edited:
I actually think you have a good chance of finding a pre ‘72 temp gauge in MUD’s Classified/Wanted section. Might take a bit of time, but post up and see if you get lucky.
Thanks, I will do that. For now I will add a 7808 voltage regulator and a later generation temp sender so I have a working gauge, and keep an eye out for the correct gauge so the next owner won't be cursing my name.

Last edited:
I've trying to figure out if I could fix the Oil gauge in my fj40 1974. I tested the gauge and it goes up very well but the needle is not going to far from the Low mark when the engine is running (I tested the oil pressure and it is around 50 - 60psi and I've already installed a new sender, same results). I noticed the needle settle position is too far to the left from the Low mark when the engine is off, even I can't see it.

Is there a way to adjust the needle settle position?

Could I bend the bi-metal a little bit?

^^^
Yes, you can adjust the needle. I forget which one it was, but one of them was sitting way too low in the off position. Adjust the needle gently using only your hands...no tools.

Does anyone know which years these wiring harness plugs are for? The are both "3 build" harnesses but the plugs are different. I think the left/red one is for a 72 and the right/blue one is for a 69, 70, 71.

Any help is appreciated.
IMG_20210319_085521__01.jpg

Still playing with it at the moment..

Temporarily rigged up the EL light to see the effect...

DSC_2776-1.jpg

DSC_2777-1.jpg

DSC_2936.jpg

DSC_2939.jpg

Still need to fine-sand and re-spray the cover, put the glass back in, redo the lettering, paint the needles....

The speedo needle had actually broken off when I bought the car - found it when I took the cluster apart! Glued it back on and waiting to paint it.
Nice , from where you arrange speedometer needle , i also need 2 of them

There seems to be a lot of questions about Clusters, Gauges, Speedo and Odo meters, so I thought why not set up a page as a reference guide / database / knowledge center?
Over time I collected a lot of pictures. I created a Gallery with all the photos I have, which you can see here:
http://photobucket.com/clusters_fronts and also the back sides and 24V models: http://photobucket.com/clusters_back
Here is a sample of what’s there.
I’ll describe them (with the same photos) later, dividing them in 4 generations.
View attachment 583863
The credit for the photo’s goes to everybody who posted their cluster photo and info on the Internet.
If you have a cluster which is not in the gallery, post a picture here with the year, model and country info and I will upload your picture so the gallery is always up to date.

The idea behind this is to post all the info we have about years, models, exceptions, technical info, how it works, repairs, upgrade, maintenance, rebuilds, modifications, new face plates, exchanging gauges for new mechanical and / or electrical ones etc. in this thread.

I’m still looking for info on the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor). What years it was used and for what purpose. I know that it was used for sounding a buzzer at 100Km/h in some countries and also for activating the (de)smog stuff in FJ’s but the full explanation I don’t know. Maybe you guys can add that info here.

I’ll ad photos of the gauges and senders with part numbers and electrical info later.

This first posting will be edited when needed for adding / changing info and to keep the links up to date.

Links for cluster related write-ups:

Fixing the stuck odometer (with pics)

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/463766-fixing-stuck-odometer-pics.html

Instrument Cluster Restoration
https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/336957-instrument-cluster-restoration.html

Aftermarket (even mechanical) gauges into STOCK cluster!!!
https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/289513-aftermarket-even-mechanical-gauges-into-stock-cluster.html

Gauge Marks™ FJ40 Gauge Restoration Package!
https://forum.ih8mud.com/merchandise-storefront/510724-fj40-gauge-restoration-package.html

FJ40 Speedometer Upgrade for Non-Stock Tires/Diffs !
https://forum.ih8mud.com/merchandise-storefront/524103-fj40-speedometer-upgrade-non-stock-tires-diffs.html

There are more good write-ups out there but I have to find them first, or you guys & girls have to tell me so I can add them here.

Rudi

View attachment 583863
This is absolutely amazing! Thank you! I am sure I will find what I need in here

I have a TEMP gauge I’d like to get working. From the Temperature sender I see a wire connected and goes into the cab bundled with other wires. after that I lose it. Nothing is connected to the TEMP Gauge on the back of the meter. So from what I have picked up from this thread is I can route a wire directly from the temperature sender to one side of the gauge and then I think I need a 7V wire on the other side? This 7 volts can be jumpered from the Fuel gauge because it has an internal voltage regulator? Let me know if this sound right or mixed up.

40C25EE7-DC61-4818-85D3-9DEF121008BB.jpeg

@JVZii may be able to help now that I have tagged him.

I have a TEMP gauge I’d like to get working. From the Temperature sender I see a wire connected and goes into the cab bundled with other wires. after that I lose it. Nothing is connected to the TEMP Gauge on the back of the meter. So from what I have picked up from this thread is I can route a wire directly from the temperature sender to one side of the gauge and then I think I need a 7V wire on the other side? This 7 volts can be jumpered from the Fuel gauge because it has an internal voltage regulator? Let me know if this sound right or mixed up.

View attachment 2980599

What year 40 do you have? The cluster wiring changed around in 73/74.

In 74 you should have a circuit board that connects everything through a barrel connector so no wiring needed on the back of the cluster. The connector would have a wire from your cluster to the temp sensor.
You are right. The temp gauge is powered by a voltage regulator in the fuel gauge. The connection is the top pin on the fuel gauge.

IMG_20211024_154110__02.jpg

In 74 you should have a circuit board that connects everything through a barrel connector so no wiring needed on the back of the cluster. The connector would have a wire from your cluster to the temp sensor.
You are right. The temp gauge is powered by a voltage regulator in the fuel gauge. The connection is the top pin on the fuel gauge.

View attachment 2981743
awesome thanks let me get back there and get a picture of the back for ya And see if I can find that wire.

View attachment 2981743
awesome thanks let me get back there and get a picture of the back for ya And see if I can find that wire.

i have full on period correct Reproduction plug , crimp and play barrel connector kits , for u if u need to replace or repair ?

- i specialize in the entire barrel Connectors and cluster meters topic as a whole much like @JVZii

see below Please :

PM me thanks matt

DSCN0002.JPG
DSCN0004.JPG
DSCN0005.JPG
DSCN0009.JPG
DSCN0010.JPG
DSCN0012.JPG
DSCN8266.JPG
DSCN8267.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back