Clunking Springs....

D

dogboy

O.K., the new OME suspension has been on for a few months now and I've got this "clunking" sound that is getting more pronounced coming from the front springs when I turn the wheel to the left and right. It's done it since I installed the springs but, it is getting louder and occuring more frequently.

When I stand in front of the vehicle and have someone turn the wheel lock-to-lock, I can see the front spring packs shifting left and right. ARB in Seattle says the noise is definately not normal and shouldn't be occuring at all. They are calling it a bushing issue, but the bushings are new OME and torqued per their specs.

Anybody have any good ideas on this one?

Thanks,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

F

fsusteve

I believe this is somewhat common with the OME springs, do a search in tech and see if it comes up. Otherwise maybe someone with them can post something on it. I know a friend with them on his 60 that did this also.

Poser

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
Supporting Vendor
It is not a bushing issue, and who at ARB told you this?

The leaf spring is moving in the pack, that is what is making the noise.

-Steve

Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew

On the way there
SILVER Star
First-retighten the u-bolts if you have not done that since intstallation. Second-pull out your old copies of Toyota Trails-someone asked this exact question about 1 year ago and I seem to recall that Mark Whatley said it was pretty common.

Landpimp

Landpimp

My 60 does it as well, a bit more sense I added an extra leaf. Make sure everything is torqued, if so and it still does it............its normal.

FWIW my fj40 and 45 with OME doesn't do it, just a 60/2 thing, prolly cause the springs are longer

erfworm

erfworm

My OMEs in my 62 make the samme damn noise. At first it was due to the U-bolts lossening up a little after initial installation and a run down to Moab. But after countless checking of their torque, it still does it, and you can see the leaves moving in the packs when cylcing the steering. I was thinking about new u-bolts to mmaybe give themm a second chance at clamping the springs down. But maybe not. ??? :D