Clearing Codes without Computer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a bluetooth dongle. And a basic one all-in-one obd standalone. And techstream. I don't keep the laptop in the car for techstream. I do keep both of the OBD readers in the car, but not hooked up. I just think it's one of those things where redundancy is a prudent path. They're not big or heavy, so little downside.

I do worry about relying on my phone, bluetooth, a dongle, and the dongle software, all to work for sure on mission critical stuff like the fuel evap reset, or a 4Lo/center diff failure. I could drop the phone and brick it while on a trip, for example. Then how do I reset the codes? (probably should look into this, I bet we could short some OBD pins together . . .)

I also have a bluetooth switch for some accessories, these are all non critical or have a manual override for the same reason.
Possibly a spare tablet in the car with the proper apps install would suffice for this unlikely occasion. (Bricking iPhone plus triggering detrimental code on same trip.). I definitely want to do some sort of mounted tablet for maps or at the very least a CarPlay type situation with the OEM setup. Just haven’t bit the bullet yet.

Possibly a spare tablet in the car with the proper apps install would suffice for this unlikely occasion. (Bricking iPhone plus triggering detrimental code on same trip.). I definitely want to do some sort of mounted tablet for maps or at the very least a CarPlay type situation with the OEM setup. Just haven’t bit the bullet yet.
Yeah, that would work. A spare tablet costs a lot more than a standalone, but of course in today's world it's likely if you have kids you have several tablets along for any longer trip.

I think the main idea is this area the two is one one is none might apply too.

I don't feel that way for a lot of stuff on the rig, but the computers - yeah, they can end a trip (and have, though luckily not mine).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom