Clearing Codes without Computer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all and Happy Thanksgiving!

Just had some exciting work done on 2020 Land Cruiser which required removal of front grille and bumper. This of course necessitated the unplugging of the bumper sensors, camera, etc. While these were unplugged the car was powered up momentarily . The CPU looked for the sensors, cameras and, in not ‘sensing’ them, returned errors.

These error messages are still present and showing up even though everything has been plugged back in.

I can get the local dealership to clear the codes on Monday. But I am a little OCD and want to clear them right now.

I saw a post that described unhooking battery, blowing horn to drain excess juice and leaving it that way for several hours to reset the computer and thus clear the error codes.

Checking with this group, that this will work without adding a new headache.

What do you all think? Anyone done this?

Thanks for your experience, strength and hope!

Over.

Corky

You should be able to go to a local auto parts store and get a code reader to clear the codes

They generally loan them out, but it’s not a bad thing to own.

I'd triple check that things are plugged back in. I don't think the camera, radar sensor or bumper electrical result in permanent error codes.

You'll likely need Techstream to reset codes.

You should be able to go to a local auto parts store and get a code reader to clear the codes

They generally loan them out, but it’s not a bad thing to own.
I don't think the generic code readers clear Toyota codes, just the OBD codes. But I could be wrong.

Hello all and Happy Thanksgiving!

Just had some exciting work done on 2020 Land Cruiser which required removal of front grille and bumper. This of course necessitated the unplugging of the bumper sensors, camera, etc. While these were unplugged the car was powered up momentarily . The CPU looked for the sensors, cameras and, in not ‘sensing’ them, returned errors.

These error messages are still present and showing up even though everything has been plugged back in.

I can get the local dealership to clear the codes on Monday. But I am a little OCD and want to clear them right now.

I saw a post that described unhooking battery, blowing horn to drain excess juice and leaving it that way for several hours to reset the computer and thus clear the error codes.

Checking with this group, that this will work without adding a new headache.

What do you all think? Anyone done this?

Thanks for your experience, strength and hope!

Over.

Corky

$29 at Harbor Freight gets you an OBD2 that lets you reset any time you want.
**Every single LC driver should have one of these on board at all times so that you don’t end up stuck without 4Lo (and more) disabled in the field for no logical reason.

I'd triple check that things are plugged back in. I don't think the camera, radar sensor or bumper electrical result in permanent error codes.

I would agree with checking connections, I installed a front bumper on my 16, started it while checking connections, lights came on but after everything was buttoned up they cleared on startup.

$29 at Harbor Freight gets you an OBD2 that lets you reset any time you want.
**Every single LC driver should have one of these on board at all times so that you don’t end up stuck without 4Lo (and more) disabled in the field for no logical reason.
Can you provide some link for online buy?

Can you provide some link for online buy?

Any OBD2 reader with the ability to reset will do for simple reset on the fly.

Reset is also called “erase codes.”

There are zillions of cheap choices. Here’s one:

OBD2 Scanner for Car, Car Code Reader, Universal Diagnostic Tool for Check Engine Light, Easy Auto Vehicle Scan Tool for All OBDⅡ Car After 1996 Amazon product ASIN B091SM6CBW

Last edited:
Agree with all of the above. If you want/need to go one big step further, get the OBD Fusion app with the Toyota extension on your phone and and an interface like this. The app and extension cost a lot more than the readers mentioned above, but it’s remarkably versatile and fun.

Amazon product ASIN B073XKQQQW

I would agree with checking connections, I installed a front bumper on my 16, started it while checking connections, lights came on but after everything was buttoned up they cleared on startup.

Yes, check your connections. I recently had all those unplugged, then powered up as I was replacing my bumper. Those are just warnings and they should go away when everything is connected back up.

Typical OBD code reset tools are obsolete. Get a decent OBD Bluetooth adapter like a kiwi, carista, or blue driver, and purchase OBD fusion and the Toyota PID pack.

Not only can you reset most codes plus some modules other than engine control, you can set it up as a dashboard to show far more info than the stock dash when you need it. @linuxgod has a number of posts about his dashboard to monitor trans temps while towing.

Note that some features are model specific. Carista is slow, but their pro app (even the one-week-only) allows programming of TPMS xmitter codes and this is a rare feature.

For doing work at home there is no replacement for a miniVCI and techstream.

I don't think the generic code readers clear Toyota codes, just the OBD codes. But I could be wrong.
You are correct.

Typical OBD code reset tools are obsolete. Get a decent OBD Bluetooth adapter like a kiwi, carista, or blue driver, and purchase OBD fusion and the Toyota PID pack.

Not only can you reset most codes plus some modules other than engine control, you can set it up as a dashboard to show far more info than the stock dash when you need it. @linuxgod has a number of posts about his dashboard to monitor trans temps while towing.

Note that some features are model specific. Carista is slow, but their pro app (even the one-week-only) allows programming of TPMS xmitter codes and this is a rare feature.

For doing work at home there is no replacement for a miniVCI and techstream.

You are correct.

Can you change the tire size with OBD Fusion and the Toyota PID pack?

Can you change the tire size with OBD Fusion and the Toyota PID pack?
I use the GPS speed sensor in OBD Fusion to show my actual speed (vs the speedo which will be off). The app does allow you to adjust for tire size but I think that only affects MPG data in the app

I use the GPS speed sensor in OBD Fusion to show my actual speed (vs the speedo which will be off). The app does allow you to adjust for tire size but I think that only affects MPG data in the app

I'd be ok with that, a better read out on fuel economy is better than nothing.

Any of the $2.99 code readers from Amazon, Horrible Freight, etc only clear engine and emission codes, not body, ABS, or chassis codes.

The cheap ones wont be able to clear codes if they were set by unplugging body or chassis items.

Techstream will do what you want. Carista *might* since it does some of the 2 way communication like TPMS, but no guarantees as I am a Techstream guy.

I bought Carly. It works with mobile phone. It is not cheap option bit it has good customer care. Updates etc. You can do basic coding. I turned off beeping sound for seat belts... When I asked for it in official Toyota service they told me There is no option in computer for that

IMG_20211201_091625.jpg

The problem I have with the bluetooth readers is that unless you also install an extension cord with a power switch…they stay hot 24/7. I’ve tried a couple and they all got very hot…(one got so hot it melted the plastic)…meaning they are eating battery power snd don’f turn themselves off. Perhaps there are others, so YMMV…

I have a more sophisticated reader I use if trying to diagnose…and I do have a Carista ti occasionally tweak things like daylight headlights, etc…but I keep my cheapie code resettibg unit plugged in 24/7 with a power-switched extension.

I have a bluetooth dongle. And a basic one all-in-one obd standalone. And techstream. I don't keep the laptop in the car for techstream. I do keep both of the OBD readers in the car, but not hooked up. I just think it's one of those things where redundancy is a prudent path. They're not big or heavy, so little downside.

I do worry about relying on my phone, bluetooth, a dongle, and the dongle software, all to work for sure on mission critical stuff like the fuel evap reset, or a 4Lo/center diff failure. I could drop the phone and brick it while on a trip, for example. Then how do I reset the codes? (probably should look into this, I bet we could short some OBD pins together . . .)

I also have a bluetooth switch for some accessories, these are all non critical or have a manual override for the same reason.

My bluetooth adapter sits in the coolbox tray, being ignored until I need it. And on trips I have an ipad that is used for mapping but also has the carista and obdfusion apps installed in case my phone takes a s***. Plus the larger screen format is nice for things like watching ATF temp to set trans fluid level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom