1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cig. lighter not lighting (the radar detector)

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by tiorio, Oct 1, 2003.

1. tiorio

tiorio

Hey:

This weekend I plugged my trusty Valentine One into the little Y splitter in my cig lighter socket (other Y goes to cell phone charger so the wife can gab continuously without me having to listen) and after a few seconds, all went dark. I pulled the Y out and checked a couple of devices in the plug but no juice.

I checked the fuse in the kick panel but it's all good and everything else on that circuit is functioning (clock, etc.) so I'm wondering where to look next. I haven't had time to give more than a cursory look and haven't had the chance to crack my FSM wiring diagram yet so anything is welcome.

Cheers! :beer:

2. TLCObsession

TLCObsession

IIRC there is a fusible link on the back side of the cig lighter.

3. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Agreed,

Fried socket.

There is a way to by-pass the fuse link but caution must be exercised to prevent harness damage if the link is defeated and an exessive load is put on the socket.

4. Brentbba

Brentbba Former Golfer SILVER Star

Oh my god! I thought I was the only one with a V1 in our beasts. LOL! What's your excuse? Mine is a holdover from when I owned a Porsche 996. I kinda think it's funny mounted in the LC. It isn't the speedster the Porsche was.

I 'hardwired' mine. Have it mounted with the suction cups just to the left of the rear view mirror and have the power cord running behind the rubber gasket along the window frame. I used their splicer and tapped into the wire I had to my cellphone when I had one mounted in the LC. It's tapped into the cig lighter fuse at the fuse panel. Much cleaner than having that coiled wire hanging down to the cig. lighter.

I can take come pics and email. Let me know. Don't have anyplace to host pics on my own or I'd post here. I know I can have a small website thru my aol account, but have never taken the time to figure out how it works.

5. alia176

alia176

Albums:
    What does IIRC mean?

6. wob

wob

If I remember correctly, IIRC.

:D

7. tiorio

tiorio

Really? Who'd a thunk it?

Not being in front of the beast right now, how does the lighter come out of the dash, from the back? (meaning I have to pull the dash apart, no?)

Thanks for that!

Now, about the V1...

I have a 1989 Porsche 930 and I STILL have more tickets in the LC than in the Porsche! The 80 is real happy around 85MPH, quiet and comfortable...

Cheers!

8. Brentbba

Brentbba Former Golfer SILVER Star

Tioro,

LOL! Don't have a ticket in either (the Porsche is gone thankfully!). 85 huh? I've found 75-80 about as comfortable as I want to get in the LC.

I suppose you could get a second power cord (as I recall a regular telephone cord won't work as some of the wires have to be reversed from a regular cord to work as the power cord for the V1). It's a lot nicer than the coil cig lighter wire.

V1 has saved my bacon a few times. They are all still worthless against the instant on radar guns now being used frequently. V1's are always a major topic of discussion on Porsche boards. Rare here! :D

Good luck with the fuses.