Cig. lighter not lighting (the radar detector) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey:

This weekend I plugged my trusty Valentine One into the little Y splitter in my cig lighter socket (other Y goes to cell phone charger so the wife can gab continuously without me having to listen) and after a few seconds, all went dark. I pulled the Y out and checked a couple of devices in the plug but no juice.

I checked the fuse in the kick panel but it's all good and everything else on that circuit is functioning (clock, etc.) so I'm wondering where to look next. I haven't had time to give more than a cursory look and haven't had the chance to crack my FSM wiring diagram yet so anything is welcome.

Cheers! :beer:

Agreed,

Fried socket.

There is a way to by-pass the fuse link but caution must be exercised to prevent harness damage if the link is defeated and an exessive load is put on the socket.

Oh my god! I thought I was the only one with a V1 in our beasts. LOL! What's your excuse? Mine is a holdover from when I owned a Porsche 996. I kinda think it's funny mounted in the LC. It isn't the speedster the Porsche was.

I 'hardwired' mine. Have it mounted with the suction cups just to the left of the rear view mirror and have the power cord running behind the rubber gasket along the window frame. I used their splicer and tapped into the wire I had to my cellphone when I had one mounted in the LC. It's tapped into the cig lighter fuse at the fuse panel. Much cleaner than having that coiled wire hanging down to the cig. lighter.

I can take come pics and email. Let me know. Don't have anyplace to host pics on my own or I'd post here. I know I can have a small website thru my aol account, but have never taken the time to figure out how it works.

What does IIRC mean?

If I remember correctly, IIRC.

:D

Really? Who'd a thunk it?

Not being in front of the beast right now, how does the lighter come out of the dash, from the back? (meaning I have to pull the dash apart, no?)

Thanks for that!

Now, about the V1...

I have a 1989 Porsche 930 and I STILL have more tickets in the LC than in the Porsche! The 80 is real happy around 85MPH, quiet and comfortable...

Cheers!

Tioro,

LOL! Don't have a ticket in either (the Porsche is gone thankfully!). 85 huh? I've found 75-80 about as comfortable as I want to get in the LC.

I suppose you could get a second power cord (as I recall a regular telephone cord won't work as some of the wires have to be reversed from a regular cord to work as the power cord for the V1). It's a lot nicer than the coil cig lighter wire.

V1 has saved my bacon a few times. They are all still worthless against the instant on radar guns now being used frequently. V1's are always a major topic of discussion on Porsche boards. Rare here! :D

Good luck with the fuses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom