Choosing a custom wheel and tire set up for an 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Please correct me if I’m wrong.
Stock wheel = 16”x8” w/4.5” backspacing and 0 offset (6 bolt at 5.5” spacing)
Stock tire = 275/75R16 or 32.2”tall and a section width of 10.8”

The wheel and tire size that I’m going to be purchasing.
Staz Works Double Beadlock wheels 16.5”x10” (6 bolt at 5.5” spacing)
Interco Super Swamper TSL/SX tires 33x15.50-16.5LT

The question is how much backspacing will I need clear the steering arm (or anything else) but not stick the tire out the wheel well to much? With the tires section width of 15.5” I most likely want to get in as close as I can while not rubbing anything. My guess is 4” of backspacing. The dimension of the wheel is 16.5 so I’m hoping that that with help a little, but I would really like everyone’s opinion.

And if your wondering on the lift, that would be a OME 850J & 863J and N73L & N74L about a 2.5” lift (from Slee of coarse).

Scott,
No offense dude, but [glow=red,2,300]WHY?[/glow]

Why in the world are you going that route? Just seems totally off the wall, but that's based on not knowing why you chose that setup.

15.5"?

Whoa. Like Junk said, why?

15.5" wide tires on an 80?

They aren't muddin trucks!

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/pictures/reader_robin_hood.htm
:D :D :D

But the ones I'm ordering are 33 and not 35 and I can't find a smaller section width than 15.5 in that tire. Plus, I don't want to grind the calipers down so I thought that I would just go with the 16.5 diameter because they don't offer a 16 inch. I just wanted to find out if anyone here has tried a 16.5 and someone’s opinion on the backspacing. :)

not sure what you would need with that size tire....

you should take that thing to Iceland to run on the snow with the other moon buggies when you are done :D

Let us know...I am curious now

I actually wish that I could get a smaller width something like a 12 or 12.5 but for some reason I have it in my head to get this style tire. It’s probably all the talk about getting Swampers. ::) ;) Maybe I should just go with the Baja Claw 33 x 13.50-16LT-6 ply. I should clarify that these will not be the daily driver tires (still have the Mich for that), plus I don’t even drive it that much anyways.

Will the 15.5 inchers clear the frame/flares @ full stuff? Now I'm interested too... hmm...

[quote author=Scott_sFZJ80 link=board=2;threadid=4704;start=msg35578#msg35578 date=1061994263]
I actually wish that I could get a smaller width something like a 12 or 12.5 but for some reason I have it in my head to get this style tire. It’s probably all the talk about getting Swampers. ::) ;) Maybe I should just go with the Baja Claw 33 x 13.50-16LT-6 ply. I should clarify that these will not be the daily driver tires (still have the Mich for that), plus I don’t even drive it that much anyways.[/quote]

Scott, please tell me the EXACT tires you are looking at. Reason, in one post you're talking width (ie. tread width) and in another you're talking section width - there is a huge difference.

Robin Hood spent boatloads on his truck and still ripped off flares. You really need to reconsider this! Seriously.

Why do you want the 15.5?

Some guys are saying mud and snow, but believe me, I do understand how a wide tire like 13.5 can help pull you up when there is mud in between the rocks, but what type of wheeling are you doing? Beadlocks are darn expensive! If you go with 16" rims, you can get something like the tirelocs that I have www.tireloc.com and you'll be better off, plus you'll have a runflat.

You can certainly do whatever you want, but part of the value of this board is when someone see's someone else doing something "unique" ;), we try to slow you down to make sure you don't waste $ and get unexpected issues. :flipoff2:

[quote author=yomama link=board=2;threadid=4704;start=msg35642#msg35642 date=1062009388]
I found it....The "Custom Wheels" everyone is looking for. http://www.landcruiserclub.co.za/gallery/wheels.jpg

Well not everybody :p

Yomama
[/quote]

Oh, dear lord.....
??? ??? ??? ???

[quote author=yomama link=board=2;threadid=4704;start=msg35642#msg35642 date=1062009388]
I found it....The "Custom Wheels" everyone is looking for. http://www.landcruiserclub.co.za/gallery/wheels.jpg
Yomama[/quote]
Yomama - aren't you the quick one :flipoff2: That was circulated about 1-1/2 year ago. :flipoff2: :D :bendoverandurinateupinairintowindwhilewearingslicker: <- dang, guess all the smilies don't work :flipoff2:

Hey I wouldn't talk quick junk ::) (checking mailbox daily waiting in anticipation) besides, I and many more weren't even here 1 1/2 years ago :flipoff2:

Yomama

Yomama
[/quote]

I had the personal displeasure of seing that in person. That picture was taken at the SEMA show in Vegas a little less than two years ago. Hideous.

Sad thing is that those wheels and tires are complete custom jobs = mucho $$$$$$$$. Another sad thing is that was the only Cruiser I can remember at the show that year. :-\

[quote author=yomama link=board=2;threadid=4704;start=msg35687#msg35687 date=1062017479]
I and many more weren't even here 1 1/2 years ago :flipoff2:[/quote]

Even if you were, we'd find something else to give you grief about. Having tacos for dinner - your gauge sails out tomorrow - yes, there is a correalation. :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :eek: :D

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=4704;start=msg35702#msg35702 date=1062019344]
Having tacos for dinner - your gauge sails out tomorrow - yes, there is a correalation. :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :eek: :D
[/quote] I'll be sure and have the neighbors dog sniff the box once it arrives :eek: ??? :flipoff2: What type of sensor does that connect to is it connected to the manifold vacume or was it connected to your S/C?

Yomama

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom