For Sale Charlotte, NC: FJ40 Venezuelan Restoration for Sale (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Mileage
Color
Blue
Looking to sell my 1983 FJ40. Was restored in Venezuela and purchased by a boutique Charlotte car dealer at a Mecum auction in Pennsylvania. I have spent $10K getting is fully sorted out as well as removing the hard top (I don't have it any longer) and installing a custom roll cage and bimini top. WARN winch. Beautiful navy blue with tan interior. Gets more commentary/looks/picture requests than any car/truck I have ever owned including some exotics. All OEM parts and really nicely done restoration. Only issues I have found / non-original parts include a rear axle that appears to be from a Ford Bronco and the seats are not original Cruiser seats (more comfortable). Paint chip or two that would need to be addressed and one of the windows doesn't track correctly which I just haven't gotten to fixing. Has kilometer gauges and displays given South American version. Asking $60K which is less than I have in it. Willing to discuss price with serious parties. If interested shoot me a text at 980.286.7274 and I can send pictures and answer any other questions (although I am not an FJ expert or a car expert). I have all paperwork related to work that I have done and all of the work has been performed since original purchase through the best FJ mechanic in Charlotte.

I'm guessing that since you didn't include any photos in your ad or provide a link, you bought this vehicle sight-unseen. You aren't going to find anyone here that does that. If you're serious about selling something, invest some time in marketing your vehicle if you want someone else to invest their hard-earned money buying it. First up would be perusing this site to see what others are and have been doing.

I'm guessing that since you didn't include any photos in your ad or provide a link, you bought this vehicle sight-unseen. You aren't going to find anyone here that does that. If you're serious about selling something, invest some time in marketing your vehicle if you want someone else to invest their hard-earned money buying it. First up would be perusing this site to see what others are and have been doing.

I did not buy it sight-unseen and I would not ask anyone else to do so. I have owned it for three years or so and looking to rotate into something different. As I delineated in the post, I will provide pictures and any additional info as needed to anyone who wants to text me offline. Thanks for the welcoming tone though.

Here are a few pics I have access to right now.

71641984667__630CEF9D-94E3-49BC-AC0B-8D7773F315B9.jpeg

71182577084__FE7A0232-6056-4879-8BBE-104184394586.jpeg

71182576173__80E9B568-0775-4C53-B232-70367F08C699.jpeg

71182575032__CB1EA4EA-FAB6-48CD-A57C-EA87B1BF2E36.jpeg

71182574102__60214A9F-EC77-4A5F-A3C2-669F15868689.jpeg

Jgfuller, Mudders (myself included) can be ... critical, so apologies in advance. Please back your truck out of the garage and shoot some photos in the sunlight, with the sun at your back so we can actually see your rig (navy blue isn't original in '83 as far as I know, but it looks great here, contrasts nicely with the upholstery). Your rig appears to be quite nice, and for 60K, it da ... darn well outta be. I can't see much of the rear diff cover but it does appear to be a Dana 44, which ... isn't original. They're fine axles, but not the same quality as Toyota, IMO. A 1983 FJ40 is a fairly rare beast and worthy of being kept original equipment, again, IMO (feel free to tell me to pi$$ off, just offering another point of view). I suspect the front axle may have been replaced too, given that it isn't wearing Aisin hubs. I hope not, and makes me wonder why, especially for a rig that appears to have been given a lot of love. A pic shot from under the front bumper looking toward the rear, and a similar shot from the rear looking forward should allow us to identify the axles, and the overall condition underneath. Shoot pics of the engine (passenger's side, front, and driver's side - because factory A/C and factory power steering are very desireable on a 1983), and the frame where the rear spring hangers are (both fixed and shackle ends, and the rear gussets supporting the rear bumper/crossmember, because this is where these rigs usually rust). From what I can see, it looks like a really nice truck, but please, show us! Peace, and GLWS!

Jgfuller, Mudders (myself included) can be ... critical, so apologies in advance. Please back your truck out of the garage and shoot some photos in the sunlight, with the sun at your back so we can actually see your rig (navy blue isn't original in '83 as far as I know, but it looks great here, contrasts nicely with the upholstery). Your rig appears to be quite nice, and for 60K, it da ... darn well outta be. I can't see much of the rear diff cover but it does appear to be a Dana 44, which ... isn't original. They're fine axles, but not the same quality as Toyota, IMO. A 1983 FJ40 is a fairly rare beast and worthy of being kept original equipment, again, IMO (feel free to tell me to pi$$ off, just offering another point of view). I suspect the front axle may have been replaced too, given that it isn't wearing Aisin hubs. I hope not, and makes me wonder why, especially for a rig that appears to have been given a lot of love. A pic shot from under the front bumper looking toward the rear, and a similar shot from the rear looking forward should allow us to identify the axles, and the overall condition underneath. Shoot pics of the engine (passenger's side, front, and driver's side - because factory A/C and factory power steering are very desireable on a 1983), and the frame where the rear spring hangers are (both fixed and shackle ends, and the rear gussets supporting the rear bumper/crossmember, because this is where these rigs usually rust). From what I can see, it looks like a really nice truck, but please, show us! Peace, and GLWS!
Trucks built / assembled in Venezuela had many differences from those built in Japan and sent to the US. Rear axle being one of them, and I believe they were Dana axles. So it might actually be original. You probably knew this, but thought I'd throw that out there.

Trucks built / assembled in Venezuela had many differences from those built in Japan and sent to the US. Rear axle being one of them, and I believe they were Dana axles. So it might actually be original. You probably knew this, but thought I'd throw that out there.
Interesting, no, I did not know that Dana axles may have been OEM in rigs built in Venezuela. If that is the case, then I stand corrected, thanks!

Hmm, front axle is Toy but the rear axle has "60" cast into the right hand side web, which if I'm not mistaken means it is a Dana 60, not a 44. I have seen narrowed D60s swapped in to 40s before, so that would not surprise me. But why on earth would Toyota go to the trouble of importing front axles but not rear? I dunno, but maybe it made economic sense to use a Dana axle, even if manufactured locally under license from Dana. Nissan did it here in the States, so why not Toy in Venezuela? Ah! Who knows? It's a real nice rig regardless!

Those leather seats look great! Are the long rear jump seats stock or added during the restoration in Venezuela? Very nice cruiser. GLWS!

all part of the restoration. They aren't actually leather but they look good! Thanks - I think I may consign here in Charlotte. As I said I am open to FMV so hit me up if anyone has interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom