For Sale Iconic 1968 fj40 for sale, located in Colorado (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Mileage
Color
White
Iconic cruiser ready for adoption. Own a piece of history. You may have seen Rocky the 40 flying around the web or Cruise Moab. This is @cruiseroutfit 's first cruiser he built as a teenager with his Dad in 1995. She spent some time around Utah and a farm in Idaho. I acquired her from Jim of PortalTek Axles in SLC in 2010. I've put a lot of work into getting her running like a sewing machine and had some important drivable upgrades completed like Power Steering, Disc Brakes, updated wiring, Troll Hole Carb (rebuilt 2023), new fuel tank, etc. Rocky was my daily driver for years and she's been garaged the nearly 14 years we've owned her. She always passed emissions in Utah with flying colors. In Colorado 1968 is vintage and doesn't need emissions. She rocks the early fj40 body with better steel but the more reliable drive train from a later '76 fj40, best of both worlds. Most work done by respected cruiser heads:

The good:
By Jimmy, @J1000:
-Rebuild Troll Hole carb, 2023
-New headers, 2023
-New fuel tank fuel pump
-New exhaust and Flowmaster muffler, 2022
-New catalytic converter (not needed, but nice for clean air).
-Engine tune-up, 2023

@alaska60, Tom:
-New alternator
-Wiring cleaned up and repaired. Turn signals, heater blasts on low, headlights, hazards, cig lighter, high-beams, wipers work. (Rear passenger brake light intermittent)
-Troll Hole carb installed
-Engine tune-up, 2014
-fj60 Power Steering (this is a DREAM, steers so well. Does great in the rocks too).
-Steering wheel moved up and forward for big boys (I'm 6' and a big guy and I fit in the 40 great, which is saying something)
-Extended clutch pedal for easier shifting (my wife really appreciates this; it's still stiff but much more doable)
-Shoulder belts in front and one in rear plus lap belts.
-Rear forward-facing bench (I still have one rear long jump seat)
-Cleaned up transmission and transfer case, 4x4 hi and low work great.

@uglyoinker, Jake, A Rusted Development:
-fj55 axles with disc brakes front and rear (Huge safety upgrade, brakes better than my fj62).
-Brake booster (modified firewall, lots of work and expertly done, all Toyota parts)
-Wired for towing. Rear hitch installed. Have only towed a small m416 trailer a few times, it does great!

Kurt work, @cruiseroutfit 1995-2001
-2F (rebuilt 1995, and probably 30,000 miles ago, but that's an educated guess since the odometer doesn't work. It didn't run when I bought it and sat for a few years before we got her running again. I've only put on about 6,000 miles since 2010.
-Converted to 4-speed on the floor. 2F/H42/4spd T-case out of a 1976
-Tub rust cut out, interior rhino-lined
-2.5 inch lift
-Bull bar
-Has so

The Not So Good:
-Odometer doesn't work
-Gauges work but Fuel gauge indicates accurately first half of the tank, then stops at half. It has a later fuel float in the tank that needs to be adjusted to read the accurate fuel level
-Some rust, but overall solid tub for being 55 years old. Worst is in the pics below, a bubble near the spare tire. Some bubbles and spots all over but mostly a very solid tub and frame. Rust along the sill when you remove the roof. Good rear sill.
-Several oil leaks
-Rear right signal/brake light works when it's in the mood intermittently.
-Heater works on low setting but not high setting. We had to disable high setting because it would blow the fuse. Only one front defrost hose is hooked up, but works "well"
-No headliner
-33x10.50 bfg's, showing their age, about 15 years old

-Special Upgrade: Upside down Bezel just for you! Gives extra horsepower and mpg's!

-Located in Denver/Golden, Colorado

- Price $14,000 $13,500

Marylin 40.jpg

Last edited:
Undercarriage. You can see some of the oil leaks on the frame. Bolts seen in the rear are for the forward-facing rear bench. I have one of the original long jump seats. Beautiful new flowmaster and cat.

1000006357.jpg

1000006358.jpg

1000006360.jpg

1000006362.jpg

1000006363.jpg

Last edited:
Interior. Tape on the driver's seat belt is just to stop it slipping through the seat belt, unlike our 100 which when I took off the tape revealed a sliced seatbelt. Nice.

1000006350.jpg

1000006370.jpg

1000006371.jpg

1000006372.jpg

1000006379.jpg

Last edited:
Set up for towing small trailers with a 4-pin connector and rear hitch. Only towed my trailer a few times but did great. All proceeds will go towards Bullwinkle, our fj62 we've had for nearly 25 years, and my daughter's college tuition. Ouch.

rsz_40_and_trailer.jpg

Last edited:
Hi there - I would like to speak to you tomorrow if you have time. Let me know. Garth

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom