Changing to selectable hubs on an 80 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I thought I saw some commentary on the forums about changing from full time 4WD to selectable Asian Hubs, but can't seem to locate it. If I want to change from full time 4WD Is it just a question of changing the hubs or is there more to it than that? I just acquired a 1997 FZJ80 triple locked and am going to rebuild the knuckles. I thought if I have to tear these all apart for the knuckle rebuild, maybe I should consider changing to selectable hubs also.

To get part-time 4WD you have to put a spool in the transfer case and machine a second groove into the front axle shafts. You also lose ABS unless you get a relocation kit.

I have a part time 80 and fulltime 80 and the fulltime 80 feels way better. No point unless wear and tear on front end is priority. Even then, you see countless stock 80s with 200-300k on original birfs/front end components..

I have a part-time rig and I wouldn't recommend it unless you live somewhere like SoCal or Arizona. Or if you've got an extreme lift, Nitro Birfields that you don't want to wear out, or other confounding reason you don't want the front spinning.

Mileage around town isn't any better. Highway mileage *can* be better. My best-ever was 17.6mpg, all highway, and I reset the ECU right before leaving. My typical highway mileage is more like 13 - 14.5, but admittedly that's with about 200 pounds of bumper/winch and another 200 of stocked drawers. My tires have been stock or nearly stock (265/75 at the moment) M+S types.

In my opinion, the stock setup (AWD with limited slip) is ideal for conditions like here in Oregon. We've had snow the last few days and I've been having to toggle the center diff lock a lot since it's sometimes impossible to get rolling and other times it's binding when turning on less-slick surfaces. Full-time AWD is great for common Oregon experiences like trying to accelerate on a wet, curved on-ramp, or trying to pull into heavy traffic.

I thought I saw some commentary on the forums about changing from full time 4WD to selectable Asian Hubs, but can't seem to locate it. If I want to change from full time 4WD Is it just a question of changing the hubs or is there more to it than that? I just acquired a 1997 FZJ80 triple locked and am going to rebuild the knuckles. I thought if I have to tear these all apart for the knuckle rebuild, maybe I should consider changing to selectable hubs also.

Pointless, the only thing you really gain is, you have to get out and lock the hubs, to wheel, and you live in Maine and the weather is real, I live in Oregon and I would never got part time, and if you where worried about wearing things out maybe buy a Prius or and bicycle

I like the mechanical simplicity of the part time transfer case and the lack of a center diff. It's a good fit for the simplicity of the diesel models. It's the only way you get a fully mechanical drive train. All that said, a conversion won't give you that. I don't see a lot of point in the conversion behind a petrol engine and/or automatic transmission.

Folks, I appreciate all of the input/ insight and the abundance of knowledge on Mud. From what I have seen and read it does not seem to be something I will be pursuing. I thought it might help with fuel economy, but looks like it doesn't enough to make me pull the trigger. Happy New Year!

I currently have three 80's: two stock full-time AWD (one down for engine work) the third with a poor man's 2WD "conversion" that I use for short trips (under 50 miles) and around town. The 2WD 80 has the front driveshaft removed, CDL locked.

I jump in and drive either running vehicle regularly and interchangeably.

I do like some aspects of 2WD/Rear WD 80 as it steers/maneuvers on dry pavement a little bit easier/quicker (more nimble) and with a bit less front end rumble compared to the AWD stock 80, but the difference is not all that great.

The AWD 80 on the other hand feels a bit more solid, stable, going down a (paved) road albeit also feels a hair less nimble compared to the 2WD Mod, if that makes sense.

The main advantage going Part Time IME would be for steering feel/highway handling (dry roads) and less rumble from the front driveline not moving, and then add a bit less wear on front end components, axle shafts, axle seals, etc.

Most of the differences IMHO would be subjective to the person driving the vehicle.

FWIW.

Folks, I appreciate all of the input/ insight and the abundance of knowledge on Mud. From what I have seen and read it does not seem to be something I will be pursuing. I thought it might help with fuel economy, but looks like it doesn't enough to make me pull the trigger. Happy New Year!

I have never seen anyone record before / after fuel mileage to say with any authority it improved fuel economy.
Anecdotally, people claim better economy.
I know from running my cruiser daily, long term with CDL locked and no front shaft, and drive plates removed from hubs I gained nothing in economy.
(Busted birf, and no funds to repair. Same daily commute, and same monthly fuel spend over about 6 months)

I currently have three 80's: two stock full-time AWD (one down for engine work) the third with a poor man's 2WD "conversion" that I use for short trips (under 50 miles) and around town. The 2WD 80 has the front driveshaft removed, CDL locked.

I jump in and drive either running vehicle regularly and interchangeably.

I do like some aspects of 2WD/Rear WD 80 as it steers/maneuvers on dry pavement a little bit easier/quicker (more nimble) and with a bit less front end rumble compared to the AWD stock 80, but the difference is not all that great.

The AWD 80 on the other hand feels a bit more solid, stable, going down a (paved) road albeit also feels a hair less nimble compared to the 2WD Mod, if that makes sense.

The main advantage going Part Time IME would be for steering feel/highway handling (dry roads) and less rumble from the front driveline not moving, and then add a bit less wear on front end components, axle shafts, axle seals, etc.

Most of the differences IMHO would be subjective to the person driving the vehicle.

FWIW.
Thanks Kernal, I can see what you are saying having driven 4 x 4 vehicles for many years. Sounds to me, for what I am trying to achieve, that there would be minimal upside and more $ and work to get there. I will focus on some of the other stuff that needs to get done at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom