Changing PHH At Same Time As Starter Contacts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have the starter rebuild kit from cdan and was wondering if it is easier to reach the PHH (PHH still looks good, but getting more OCD symptoms every day) with the starter out of the vehicle? If so, that will be a very full day (coolant flush with all radiator hoses & thermostat changed out, PHH & starter rebuild)!

What sequence would you all recommend (drain coolant, change all hoses & rebuild starter, then start the fill, run & drain 4 + times)?

Thanks,

Riley

Good plan.
I regret not doing the PHH when I rebuilt my starter.

My two bits....you may as well do it while you're in there. Just remember, patience is a virtue.

You can def. do it with the starter out. It is a PITA in any respect but I have big monkey hands and I can get in there. Just cover the area below where the starter normally sits. Keeps any junk from getting in there.

Does the removal of the starter make this job easier?

I changed my PHH while doing the starter contacts... gives you valuable room to do the PHH job. Glad I did both at the same time.

It sure did for me, and you might as well do the fuel filter while you're there too.

Good idea about the fuel filter, I just did not order one from cdan.

Thanks all for the advice, I just wanted to know if it helped to have the starter out of the way to get to the PHH and it sounds like it does.

:cheers: Riley

Last edited:
Yes, do the PHH when the starter is out. The Fuel filter is there, it's still not "easy" to get to by any means, but doable. I did my fuel filter when my starter was out of the truck, but i had allready done the PHH a year ago when i blew.

IMO it's way easier to do the PHH with the starter out.

here is a couple of shots of my rig looking up during my starter removal. You can see the PHH.
valve cover change 028 (Small).jpg
valve cover change 033 (Small).jpg
valve cover change 026 (Small).jpg

I have finally found the time to get this started. I turned down 3 detailing jobs to free up this weekend. I think I have all of the parts I need. I have e9999's flush procedure almost memorized and picked up all of the fittings to make it go easier (thanks again e9999 for all of the info & pictures!!!). Thanks to cdan for the OEM parts!

Here is my plan:
-Disconnect battery
-Drain coolant from petcock & block drain
-Jack up and support driver's side and remove tire & skirting
-Remove starter (will probably remove trans. dipstick to gain more access)
-Cover starter hole with towels
-Attack and replace PHH (thanks www.1FZFEPHH.com for the hose and all here on the forum that have contributed to the 1000s of PHH posts!)
-Install new plunger & contacts & reinstall starter
-Change out 4 radiator hoses
-Change out thermostat (jiggle up!)
-Change out upper heater hoses (FHH next to firewall - thanks again www.1FZFEPHH.com )
-Replace any nasty hoses with standard Gates 5/8" heater hose and Breeze clamps
-Start coolant flush with all of the fancy hoses and fittings e9999 recommended (heater core, radiator, block)
-Remove and clean expansion tank
-Button everything up and fill with 50/50 Napa old fashion green w/ distilled water (has green currently)

Wish me luck! I will try to take pictures (I bribed my 10 yr. old son into helping me - maybe he can be the official photographer). I hope to finish everything on Saturday, but have allowed for Sunday if problems occur.

Hope to pass on any wisdom gained from doing this. I would ask for more advice, but I just need to get in there and learn...

Thanks again,

Riley

Best of luck Riley! You lead, I'll follow :)

Silly question: where do you get the distilled water?:confused:

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure just about any grocery store carries it...Usually it is dirt cheap...Like around $1/gal IIRC

Usually it is in the "pop" aisle

Edit: Sorry, just realized you aren't in the states :doh:

Last edited:

Here in the states, they sell it at pretty much every grocery store. It is best to find water that has been processed to remove any minerals or "hitchhikers" that regular tap or mineral water contains.

Riley

As promised, here are some photos. First the set up table (notice e9999's walkthrough - thanks again e9999!).
DSC00433.jpg
DSC00434.jpg
DSC00435.jpg

Then the coolant drain (through the petcock & block plug). Mop at the ready (too many neighborhood dogs...).
DSC00443.jpg
DSC00444.jpg
DSC00440edit.JPG

Here is a shot of the old PHH after I cut and ripped it.

Removing the starter and transmission dipstick tube definitely adds some elbow room! Both the starter and tube were very easy to get to using some swivel sockets and gear drive box wrenches.

Cutting the tuna can clamp with a dremel w/cutting wheel went perfect. I was able to manually rotate the clamp closest to the block and squeeze it with a pair of angle needle nose pliers.
Removed the top bolt from the metal tube and reached up from under the vehicle to just loosen the lower tube bolt. That allowed me to twist and pull the tube out of the way.

Pushed the new PHH on and swinged the pipe back into place. This took about 1.5 hours (including coolant drain, tire + starter + dipstick tube removal). Having all of the tools ready helped!
DSC00461.jpg
DSC00467.jpg

New PHH installed! Much easier than I thought it would be.
DSC00473.jpg
DSC00475.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom